Subway healthy? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically, I'm trying to lose weight and because I'm in catered halls at university, I have to eat out, till it starts again tomorrow. So for the past few days I've been eating Kebabs on naan...which I know isn't very healthy, but the meat was grilled.

But then I turned to Subway's Veggie delite..I normally have a 6" or foot-long wheat bread with it toasted. Then ravish it with lettuce, cucumber, green peppers, onions, jalapeños, and pickles. Then finish it with sweet onion sauce.

I was wondering is this quite healthy/nutritional with calories being low? Or would just be the same as a kebab or McDonald's..?

Thanks
User570431
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Subway is not...well it is... depending on what you pick
:eek3: *contradiction*
concubine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, I'm trying to lose weight and because I'm in catered halls at university, I have to eat out, till it starts again tomorrow. So for the past few days I've been eating Kebabs on naan...which I know isn't very healthy, but the meat was grilled.

But then I turned to Subway's Veggie delite..I normally have a 6" or foot-long wheat bread with it toasted. Then ravish it with lettuce, cucumber, green peppers, onions, jalapeños, and pickles. Then finish it with sweet onion sauce.

I was wondering is this quite healthy/nutritional with calories being low? Or would just be the same as a kebab or McDonald's..?

Thanks
lololol
Bella Occhi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Subway isn't very healthy, really. Why don't you make your own equivalent?
ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends what the alternative is, but...no
BlueJoker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If there's any salad dressing/sauce, then no.

Can you not just get meal deals from Boots/The Co-op? They have healthy sandwiches and salads and things.
CameraGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
on the subway website it gives you approx. calories in different types of their subs. they're not particularly healthy, but not the worst thing either probs about 400-600 calories in most of them
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thanks
Kebab is probably healthier, the main problem with both Subway and Kebab is gonna be the sauce (and cheese if u have it on ur sub)
farxiya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yh if you don't put cheese and any dressings on. But then its just nasty! Oh and you have to try and resist their cookies because they are just soooo nice!
Anonymous #1
I used this online subway calculator...and it came to 255calories...I suppose that's ok for something so filling. Though 40 just came from the sweet-onion sauce!
Philbert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're not the healthiest thing in the world, but eating one isn't going to do you any harm. Don't get any cheese and go for the 'low fat' subs.
Anonymous #1
Since tuesday I've had about 6 6" subs =/...and another one tonight!
ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
6x 6" 'subs' hey? You have been busy
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dang. That's a lot. I can't really judge though, I have Starbucks erryday.

Go to Tesco/Boots or whatever and get a sandwich that contains at least i. meat and/or ii. vegetables. Almost as filling as a sub and better for you. Spesh if you complement it with orange juice.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CameraGirl)
on the subway website it gives you approx. calories in different types of their subs. they're not particularly healthy, but not the worst thing either probs about 400-600 calories in most of them
Ah, right, for a minute I forgot that 'healthy' means 'lacking in nutrition' now. Eat a Tic Tac instead. Only two calories!

Calories are good. Calories are what keep your heart beating.
amizzle91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's the cheese and sauces that make Subways a lot less good for you.

Stick with the low fat ones (they've got a heart symbol next to them), don't have cheese and have the low fat sauces (it says which ones they are on a sticker- I have sweet onion usually)

They're still not amazing for you but they're probably the 'healthiest' fast food option out there. They're pretty filling too.

And 6 subs a week is a lot.
Tefhel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends what you put in it. But yeah if you have wheat bread (or whatever they call brown bread) with just salad and vegetables in then yeah it's pretty healthy.
CameraGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Planto)
Ah, right, for a minute I forgot that 'healthy' means 'lacking in nutrition' now. Eat a Tic Tac instead. Only two calories!

Calories are good. Calories are what keep your heart beating.
i only mentioned that because the OP asked...
subways are reknowned for being quite high in salt, though apparently they did do something about that. they're not the best, but they're not the worst either. at least you're getting relatively fresh salad and some carbs in there, better than the kebabs anyway. i wasn't insinuating that the OP shouldnt eat subway cos it has calories.

also if OP wants to lose weight, they need to be burning more calories than they eat, so helps to at least know...
georgia(:
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Am i the only one now craving a subway from this thread? :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads