Southwark, Walworth or Camberwell? Watch

Manya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I got accepted from Camberwell College of Arts (3D Design ) and I've to choose a residence but I'm not sure which one is the safest as I've heard many negative stories about all of these locations

Please be honest and tell me which one should I choose

http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/manna-ash-house.htm
http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/julian-markham-house.htm
http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/brooke-hall.htm
http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/bernard-myers-house.htm
arty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've looked into these before I applied for accomodation. In the end my first choice was Mana Ash. Southwark looked like the best area out of the 3 (even though they are all pretty undesirable!). Also the accommodation at Mana Ash looks like the best, nice and modern and has really good facilities. The transport is also great.. so close to Waterloo station and literally just up the road from the tube station. Also very near the Embankment and North side etc. I think some of the top floor rooms have a view of the London eye! It's about a 10 minutes walk from things like the Tate modern and Chelsea. It's the most central out of the 3 so it's likely there will be students in the halls from all the UAL colleges.

Anyway I put it as my first choice, but I know it's very popular. In the end I got given Bernard Myers as my offer though (their reason being that the Mana Ash tenancy agreement started after my course began apparently). I'll be studying in Camberwell.

I also put Brooke Hall as my second choice, however I'm glad I didn't get that one now. It's in a terrible area, and I've heard it's pretty run down. You also have your own kitchen facilities and no cluster flats - which could be slightly lonely! Someone was stabbed/shot very near Brooke Hall in Camberwell a couple of weeks ago... it was all over the national news.
Manya
Rep:
?
True southern London is not my favourite place but oh well!
You know, I chose Brooke Hall as my first choice, Bernard Myers as my second and Mana Ash as the third. I ended up receiving an offer from Emily Bowes Court which was really really really upsetting... Now I'm looking for a flat but since Camberwell is not really safe I think I look for some student halls around the college, I found this liberty field thing and they claim that they have students from Camberwell college living there, so it would be safer to travel to the college in a group
arty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manya)
True southern London is not my favourite place but oh well!
You know, I chose Brooke Hall as my first choice, Bernard Myers as my second and Mana Ash as the third. I ended up receiving an offer from Emily Bowes Court which was really really really upsetting... Now I'm looking for a flat but since Camberwell is not really safe I think I look for some student halls around the college, I found this liberty field thing and they claim that they have students from Camberwell college living there, so it would be safer to travel to the college in a group
are you doing the foundation?

It's so frustrating that they chose to host the combined one at Camberwell! I had my heart set on Chelsea or Wimbledon really. I decided against CSM after hearing a lot of negative stuff about it and the huge numbers. But now it seems Camberwell might just be worse. It's in a worse location and there are more people than the CSM course now :O , 750 at Camberwell.

Also I've just looked up the Emily Bowers court one- location wise... it looks really good? I know it;s a bit of a trek from Camberwell... but looks like it's in a nice area? Next to Paddington.. close to Kings cross (so there will be a lot of CSM students living there) and it's also really near the west end and St Pancreas. I got offered Bernard Myers... but I haven't accepted the offer, it looks like an awful place to live. I want to go to London to live in central London, not a dodgy South part! The transport links out there are terrible, no tube etc. I am going to look into getting a flat somewhere around Chelsea I think... so I'm right around everything! Failing this I'll lodge with some nearby relatives. Not keen to live in Camberwell though!
Manya
Rep:
?
(Original post by arty)
are you doing the foundation?

It's so frustrating that they chose to host the combined one at Camberwell! I had my heart set on Chelsea or Wimbledon really. I decided against CSM after hearing a lot of negative stuff about it and the huge numbers. But now it seems Camberwell might just be worse. It's in a worse location and there are more people than the CSM course now :O , 750 at Camberwell.

Also I've just looked up the Emily Bowers court one- location wise... it looks really good? I know it;s a bit of a trek from Camberwell... but looks like it's in a nice area? Next to Paddington.. close to Kings cross (so there will be a lot of CSM students living there) and it's also really near the west end and St Pancreas. I got offered Bernard Myers... but I haven't accepted the offer, it looks like an awful place to live. I want to go to London to live in central London, not a dodgy South part! The transport links out there are terrible, no tube etc. I am going to look into getting a flat somewhere around Chelsea I think... so I'm right around everything! Failing this I'll lodge with some nearby relatives. Not keen to live in Camberwell though!
Nah I'm doing bachelor's degree, already had my foundation at OCVC
Yeah the residents are usually combination of psychiatry students from King's College and UAL's.
Emily Bowers court's location is indeeeeed way better than Camberwell but face it its an hour travel to the school! And OMG I can imagine the short winter days that is SCARY.
Aww well to be honest 750 students is a lot! I was planning to study Interior Design at Chelsea (you know, closer to Victoria and stuff) but now I'm going to do 3D Design at Camberwell I've heard about break ins at Bernard Myers :/ I even asked my teacher here at OCVC about Camberwell neighborhood and he was like as long as you're away from Peckham all is good... I also heard some residents saying they have lived there for over 20 years and everything was fine...
I'm lost, I really don't know what to believe anymore and my parents are worrying from now! I stayed at London just twice and both times I was in fancy hotels in Kensington and this is my impression of London! I'm going to London on June 7th and again I'll stay at Kensington but I will definitely visit Camberwell before I return to my home country on 13th... I hope Camberwell turns out at least a bit safer than it sounds
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (413)
37.75%
No - but I will (83)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.81%

Watched Threads