Trusts Law - fairly simple question Watch

cuzza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Quick question regarding pecuniary legacies... any help is much appreciated.

"The trust fund has a value of around £2,000,000 and the income from the trust investments is roughly £20,000 per year. John is entitled to half of the trust when he reaches the age of 20."

I'm looking at the power of maintenance. Is this a contingent pecuniary legacy? I'm wondering as it seems to be purely monetary - which for my understanding, is the requirement of contingent pecuniary trusts?

However, could 'the income from the trust investments' also suggest that there are other investments, such as shares, and the like? Which would carry the intermediate income. Meaning it is not a contingent legacy?

Thanks
Festina lente
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have they told you where the trust fund originated, or is this all the information you have? Unless more facts have been given I don't think it would be possible to know, though I can go and look up my notes.

From what you have posted I would assume that £2m is the value of the whole trust fund, that it is invested in shares, property etc, and the overall income produced is £20,000 pa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads