Part time work during term time? Watch

jsadapa1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was looking up about working during term time at cambridge and oxford and got mixed answers. Some said at cambridge its "discouraged" to work while some said it is NOT allowed to work, and the information i found at oxford is its allowed.

Can someone clear my confusion?

(I know that working during term time is very hard since the courses are intensive etc, and i can work during the vacations, but i would like to know the answer to this question.)

Thanks
Festina lente
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think there is a university-wide rule at Oxford, but in my opinion it isn't a good idea to plan to work during term time - Oxbridge terms are just far too intense. I think a few people did a few hours a week in their College bar. I worked during vacations but not term time.

If you were struggling financially due to not working and had taken out full student loan it would be a good idea to look at the bursary schemes run by the College/University.

Why not email your College and ask?
jsadapa1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Im an international student, so there are no bursaries for me ...
i looked at student visa terms, and it allowed 20 hrs per week to work during term time (if the univ allows)... so i was wondering if it was possible...
Festina lente
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jsadapa1)
i looked at student visa terms, and it allowed 20 hrs per week to work during term time (if the univ allows)... so i was wondering if it was possible...
Emailing the College will be your fastest route to a definite answer
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm, there's no harm in asking, but while a few hours at the college bar or library probably wouldn't be an issue, I can't really see any college allowing you to work in a part-time job 20 hours per week, especially during your first year.:erm:
Got the tshirt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jsadapa1)
Hi there fellow mechanical engineer

My sister's at Cambridge and the amount of work she has to do and the fact that timetables for supervisions are only posted weekly I think it would be almost impossible to do any work during term time. It would be better to try and find work during the long summer holidays and maybe a sponsor. Quite a few engineering companies do sponsor people through uni - one of my friends is being sponsored for a degree in civil engineering by Balfour Beatty.

Hope to meet you in October!!
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At my college I'm almost certain that you are actually banned from working and you can get into serious trouble if you are found to be working outside of the permitted work in the college bar or library. I always thought this was a university wide policy but I agree with everyone else that it's best to check with your college. I don't know anyone who does have a part time job though, and definitely don't know anyone who would have the time to do more than a couple of hours a week, if that.
braceface
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most people I know tend to work during the vacation periods, but I don't think I've come across anyone yet who works during term time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads