Choosing Halls in Bangor! Watch

pdell-smith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey

I'm coming to Bangor in September to study music and although you don't apply until June, i'm trying to decide on halls - but on the Fridd site, they're pretty much all the same! Anyone suggest a good hall? I would prefer ensuite, self-catered in one of the newer halls!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've translated the names, looked up exactly where the are in relation to Main arts and on the site etc So I don't really know how to decide!

Thanks!
BabyGirl92
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alaw I've heard is good.. but it seems like a lot of people apply there so if you apply you might not get it :/ I really don't know which one to go for. I really wanna be in the new builds though cause they're much nicer than the older ones inside. I'd go for one of the ones with more rooms in as well cause I think it would be more sociable
pdell-smith
Rep:
?
Yeah, that sounds like good advice, thanks!
What are you going to study?
BabyGirl92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Psychology
What are you doing?
welshmun
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Peris, Enlli and Alaw to be close to Maes Glas Sports Centre and you can choose the rest if you wanna be near to Bar Uno; and probably most of the parties They are all very much the same but I guess for Alaw, Peris and Enlli its just a bit longer to walk to get washing done.
hannmatt92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yup, I am in Enlli this year and it is not that far to get the washing done at all, 2 minute walk maximum. As for 'most of the parties' it is a load of nonsense I would say parties I have been to have been reasonably evenly distributed and remember that it depends on who the people are not where the halls are as to whether there are loads of parties haha.
BabyGirl92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by welshmun)
Peris, Enlli and Alaw to be close to Maes Glas Sports Centre and you can choose the rest if you wanna be near to Bar Uno; and probably most of the parties They are all very much the same but I guess for Alaw, Peris and Enlli its just a bit longer to walk to get washing done.
I think I'd rather be close to the bar :P
Are you there this year?
pdell-smith
Rep:
?
(Original post by BabyGirl92)
I'm doing Psychology
What are you doing?
That's cool, I've heard lots about psychology at Bangor.
I'm doing music - i'm so excited!

Thanks everyone else for the info about halls!
BabyGirl92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pdell-smith)
That's cool, I've heard lots about psychology at Bangor.
I'm doing music - i'm so excited!

Thanks everyone else for the info about halls!
Yeah seems like loads of people do Psychology because it's such a big department. Ah well good luck with your exams if you have any
Kieranw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey All. I was going to post a separate thread on the page but I said I would keep this one going. I have a few questions of my own i'd like to ask about halls!

1) What is the internet in the halls like? ( is it included? is it fast?)
2) Is there seriously no smoking in your room?
3) Are security and wardens hard-ass in terms of having 'overnight guests' and are they 'power hungry'
4) I intend to study but also seriously enjoy myself..so where would the best halls be
5) Car Parking..I will be driving over and I just hope its not as terrible for spaces as i think it will be (Also road trip anyone?)

I have accepted the 2 year law degree so I start in Sept '11. I am half tempted to look for private rented acc. but I don't know anyone else starting in sept. If anyone reads this that is kinda thinking of going private but that is in the same boat and doesn't know anyone, get in touch by private mail and we'll have a chat.

I'm 28, Male, fun but 'mature' (That means I will be in bed at least two hours before a lecture after a night out). I smoke, but I also cook and I'm fairly neat.
thegiantinfinity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dod i bangor aye?
welshmun
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BabyGirl92)
I think I'd rather be close to the bar :P
Are you there this year?
Yep I'm currently living in Peris and its pretty good, but now thinking about it, because I don't go to the gym as much I think I'd rather be nearer Bar Uno and the rest of the site, but that's just me
Mister_Chris
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kieranw)
Hey All. I was going to post a separate thread on the page but I said I would keep this one going. I have a few questions of my own i'd like to ask about halls!

1) What is the internet in the halls like? ( is it included? is it fast?)
It's included and capped at 800KB/s (6Mbit), doesn't usually go much below that but I had one guy telling me you can get some crazy speeds in the older non-ffridd halls.

They have a three-strikes policy - downloading stuff is fine as long as you stick to 'safe' websites (direct downloads, private trackers). If they get a complaint from a label or film company then they chop off your internet until you call up I.T.

Also it's LAN and lets you connect one device. If you have a wireless chipset in your computer then you can use 'connectify' or something similar to make a virtual hotspot so you can link up your phone or laptop. It's against the regulations though, never been caught myself. (ps. connectify stops my PC going in to standby properly)

2) Is there seriously no smoking in your room?
Yes, there's fire alarms fitted in every room, corridor and kitchen. They're fudging scary too - and illuminate the whole room red whilst loudly playing this sound.

You can probably get away with smoking in the kitchens though - the ones in there are only heat-sensitive. Plus if you smoke under the extractor hood it should dissipate the smell, possibly. Alternatively you can use your Henry the hoover for a smoke in your room. Might be worth joining in with the smoker socials that happen outside most blocks.

(Ps. Fire alarm is tested weekly for a few minutes. They also do a nighttime drill in both semesters that you'll have to quickly pull on clothes for, and if you don't do it quick enough the whole block does it again).
3) Are security and wardens hard-ass in terms of having 'overnight guests' and are they 'power hungry'
You're not supposed to but almost everyone in the corridor has had friends sleep over at one point or another. I'd advise against doing it before the semester fire drill.

Security is usually okay. Just don't play loud music after 11 and you'll be fine. Also it's worth quickly figuring out which day your warden and cleaner check your kitchen so you can make sure it's clean and avoid the warning slips :P (unless you want to make a little collection like we did, up until they tried to fine us heh)
4) I intend to study but also seriously enjoy myself..so where would the best halls be
Any really. There's no party building, they're all identical blocks - some flats like to party more, it just depends on the people you end up with.

I strongly recommend making the most of things in your first year. You only need to pass with 40% and it doesn't count towards your degree. Don't do what I did and sit around getting As and Bs pointlessly. Highly recommend making use of the library or comp labs so you get work done efficiently - being in the flat can be a little distracting with how it's not an academic environment.

Also as dorky as it might sound - societies! Join them. Nights out in Bangor grow boring quickly if you do them too often. It's good to make some friends and do some extra-curricular stuff when you can.

5) Car Parking..I will be driving over and I just hope its not as terrible for spaces as i think it will be (Also road trip anyone?)
Car parks are reasonably full usually, but you should be okay.

But yeah, hope you enjoy fresher's week. It'll probably seem like the most awesome week ever after it's over - every night out will be awesome and every morning will feel positively crappy .

In the case that you're not settling in feel free to PM me; the girl next to me spent most of her freshers week in the dumps :/. You'll also have a peer guide that you can phone (hopefully, I only met mine like once lol).

Good luck with your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bangor University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Bangor University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads