online blog or personal journal - which do you have/prefer? Watch

Poll: Do you have an online blog or personal journal?
Online blog (12)
41.38%
Personal journal (8)
27.59%
Both (1)
3.45%
Neither (8)
27.59%
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Pros and cons of each? Which do/would you prefer...? I sort of think I would rather have an online blog. But I'd like the idea of, say, a Moleskine, or any other form of, journal/diary as it's a little more personal. I just don't want both... An online blog would look a lot more presentable and neat, provided my writing can be scruffy as hell at times, but I might actually find more time to write in a physical journal. The only problem then would be that I'd probably write about pointless, superfluous, unnecessary crap.

- Which one do you have, and why?

EDIT: By personal I don't just literally mean 'only for you', though it could of course be the case. I just meant in comparison to it being online and viewable by everyone.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't have either; I don't expect I ever will.

I don't like my handwriting and typing is less effort. I can chop and change things before I 'post' them so i'd probably go with an online blog out of the two.
CameraGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i have an online blog, to keep my friends/family up to date on what i'm doing, i started it up now so i get into the habit of writing it for when i move to america for a year. i like that it's kind of like a diary, a record of what i've been up to, days out etc etc, with photos, which i wouldnt so much do in a written diary. it's good to look back at too, and remember everything i've been up to, which will be useful when i'm in america and keeping busy! probably forget some of the stuff i've done, when i tell people, so if they read it they can ask me about it rather than relying on me telling them

one day i might print it out too, and bind it like a book or something, as a record of my times at university and abroad, and for however long i keep it. i wish i'd started it when i very first started at university so i had a full record of what i've done since i moved away from home and really started my own life haha. kinda annoyed i didnt think about starting it back then :P

but the only thing is i can't really put anything too personal or emotional on there, since anyone can read it, and people dont want to read about my bad moods or what i'm upset over or how soppy i'm being :P i also dont really want people reading about my deepest darkest feelings haha.

i used to keep a written journal, for a couple of years, but i don't any more. i tried to start again but i just forget or don't have the time. i love writing though and my blog suits me haha. i enjoy it

sorry for the essay XD
Z-6H820
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
neither, had a diary when i was 11 to about 13 but reading back on it years later was so incredibly embarrassing I decided not to inflict that embarrassment on a future me and chose never to write one again
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nymthae)
I don't have either; I don't expect I ever will.

I don't like my handwriting and typing is less effort. I can chop and change things before I 'post' them so i'd probably go with an online blog out of the two.
Fair enough :p: thanks :teeth:
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by conway!)
neither, had a diary when i was 11 to about 13 but reading back on it years later was so incredibly embarrassing I decided not to inflict that embarrassment on a future me and chose never to write one again
Hahaha, I tried numerous times to keep one but it was about useless crap, when I got a chance to look back at it. It's also slightly worrying that I last saw it on a shelf in my parent's bedroom.. But they've never said anything :ninja: Have you still got your diary?

(Original post by CameraGirl)
i have an online blog, to keep my friends/family up to date on what i'm doing, i started it up now so i get into the habit of writing it for when i move to america for a year. i like that it's kind of like a diary, a record of what i've been up to, days out etc etc, with photos, which i wouldnt so much do in a written diary. it's good to look back at too, and remember everything i've been up to, which will be useful when i'm in america and keeping busy! probably forget some of the stuff i've done, when i tell people, so if they read it they can ask me about it rather than relying on me telling them

one day i might print it out too, and bind it like a book or something, as a record of my times at university and abroad, and for however long i keep it. i wish i'd started it when i very first started at university so i had a full record of what i've done since i moved away from home and really started my own life haha. kinda annoyed i didnt think about starting it back then :P

but the only thing is i can't really put anything too personal or emotional on there, since anyone can read it, and people dont want to read about my bad moods or what i'm upset over or how soppy i'm being :P i also dont really want people reading about my deepest darkest feelings haha.

i used to keep a written journal, for a couple of years, but i don't any more. i tried to start again but i just forget or don't have the time. i love writing though and my blog suits me haha. i enjoy it

sorry for the essay XD
Don't worry about it

Yeah, if I was to keep a blog it'd be to keep people up to date with what I'm up to etc, but as you say, you could write more 'honestly' (perhaps) in a personal journal I'm not sure which I want to create, I don't think I'd manage with both.. unless the online blog was really brief entries!
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
Hahaha, I tried numerous times to keep one but it was about useless crap, when I got a chance to look back at it. It's also slightly worrying that I last saw it on a shelf in my parent's bedroom.. But they've never said anything :ninja: Have you still got your diary?

Don't worry about it

Yeah, if I was to keep a blog it'd be to keep people up to date with what I'm up to etc, but as you say, you could write more 'honestly' (perhaps) in a personal journal I'm not sure which I want to create, I don't think I'd manage with both.. unless the online blog was really brief entries!
yeah i gave up with diaries, and as someone else said, the ones i have are quite embarrassing to read haha. i'm sometimes glad i only record the experiences i ahve and days out and just general stuff, rather than keeping a diary now. much prefer it. although i do love handwritten things, and i keep any letters i receive and send hand written letters to people

my bf was saying his grandma has like 20 hand written thick diaries from when him and his brother were growing up, which is lovely and i'd like to have something like that, but i don't think i have the dedication haha.
Z-6H820
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
nah, when i found them when i was 16ish I just chucked them in the recycling. I used to write so much rubbish about things that even at the time were of very little importance ... hmm. I want to start one in French and Italian though but theywould be factual stuff just to practice
strawberry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
Pros and cons of each? Which do/would you prefer...? I sort of think I would rather have an online blog. But I'd like the idea of, say, a Moleskine, or any other form of, journal/diary as it's a little more personal. I just don't want both... An online blog would look a lot more presentable and neat, provided my writing can be scruffy as hell at times, but I might actually find more time to write in a physical journal. The only problem then would be that I'd probably write about pointless, superfluous, unnecessary crap.

EDIT: By personal I don't just literally mean 'only for you', though it could of course be the case. I just meant in comparison to it being online and viewable by everyone.
I used to have both ... but writing got tedious and I like the ability to correct typing without having to erase an entire sentence or cross out stuff. my online blog has been around a heck of a lot longer too
Baula
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)

I had a diary when I was like 7 or something .. It didn't really work out because I always forgot to write in it As for blogs, I currently have one that I started in sixth form as a way of processing what I had learned in class.

Blogs are a lot less effort to write in as you can paste things in and make it look really effective with pictures and movies to illustrate your points. I suppose you can with journals too but its a lot more work. That said, I don't use my blog to say anything personal as I don't really like the idea of everyone being able to view my inner-personal thoughts.

Sometimes I think people forget that others can view them. There's a thread on here somewhere about that girl who wrote an article about the unfairness of Oxford University's selection process. People quickly found her blog and used what she said against her . . .
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baula)
I had a diary when I was like 7 or something .. It didn't really work out because I always forgot to write in it As for blogs, I currently have one that I started in sixth form as a way of processing what I had learned in class.

Blogs are a lot less effort to write in as you can paste things in and make it look really effective with pictures and movies to illustrate your points. I suppose you can with journals too but its a lot more work. That said, I don't use my blog to say anything personal as I don't really like the idea of everyone being able to view my inner-personal thoughts.

Sometimes I think people forget that others can view them. There's a thread on here somewhere about that girl who wrote an article about the unfairness of Oxford University's selection process. People quickly found her blog and used what she said against her . . .
Ah yeah, I know about that :p: I guess keeping an online blog is easier though, you're right.
mel0n
Rep:
?
nah, when i found them when i was 16ish I just chucked them in the recycling. I used to write so much rubbish about things that even at the time were of very little importance ... hmm. I want to start one in French and Italian though but theywould be factual stuff just to practice
You know French and Italian? :coma: So cool! Sounds like a good idea too
Z-6H820
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
You know French and Italian? :coma: So cool! Sounds like a good idea too
unfortunately i don't really, just learning, so my diary would be extremely simple - 'I went to the park today, it was fun. It was nice weather' would be the extent of it xD but hopefully would get better
Young Spade
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't have either, although I'm seriously thinking about creating a journal of some sort to write down my ideas and experiences; on the computer of course.

I hardly ever do any writing on paper anymore; the fact that I'm used to typing my thoughts so much faster with a computer has put somewhat of a hinderance on my actual pen/paper writing capabilities.
Sort of like when you try and type an elaborate text message, only to be frustrated that you can't type as fast and you would like and the thought doesn't flow as freely :/
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Young Spade)
I don't have either, although I'm seriously thinking about creating a journal of some sort to write down my ideas and experiences; on the computer of course.

I hardly ever do any writing on paper anymore; the fact that I'm used to typing my thoughts so much faster with a computer has put somewhat of a hinderance on my actual pen/paper writing capabilities.
Sort of like when you try and type an elaborate text message, only to be frustrated that you can't type as fast and you would like and the thought doesn't flow as freely :/
Hahaha yeah that makes sense :p: I take time and write often though, but I know what you mean.. maybe keeping an online blog is easier for some !
Sempiternitas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've kept a personal journal for years. (Though not a Moleskine - I have a leather cover that can be reused when I've used up a book.) I tend to write better when I handwrite it, and I love writing with my Montblanc. I like to keep my journal private, so an online journal wouldn't really serve the purpose. And I'm always scared that the site might break down and lose all my information - not nice if you've accumulated a few thousand words!
Sempiternitas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, I should start one in Latin.

(Original post by strawberry)
I used to have both ... but writing got tedious and I like the ability to correct typing without having to erase an entire sentence or cross out stuff. my online blog has been around a heck of a lot longer too
I used to write with a pencil, but somehow I've trained myself not to make mistakes since I started using a fountain pen.
strawberry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sempiternitas)
I used to write with a pencil, but somehow I've trained myself not to make mistakes since I started using a fountain pen.
I rarely make mistakes, but typing is obviously so much faster. I type, at my fastest so far, 124wpm
Stargazer23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had a diary when I was younger, and I've kept a online blog for a while but found I didn't really write what I was feeling honestly. Maybe because other people could view it, but even when it was set to private I just didn't keep up with it :dontknow:
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have kept public blogs in the past. I did so for about 5 years, with a mixed readership [strangers and people I knew]. You have to be more careful about what you say with a blog and definitely shouldn't blog when you are upset/angry. Plus, I never wanted to include anything too personal on it.

From 2006 onwards, I've kept a private written journal. I really like it. I am not obsessive but tend to write say 5 times a week, in varying levels of detail. I like that I can be mundane or write down something that amused me. But, at the same time, I can express myself freely - if I am upset, angry, confused etc. I am not being rude or unkind, not upsetting anyone else, just working through my own thoughts.

Both have positives and negatives. I think you have to be more careful with a blog and to be open to comments being passed about what you have written.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads