Linear Change of Variance - S1? Watch

george424
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I'm revising for my S1 edexcel AS exam, and looking through the specification saw that 'linear change of variance may be required.' This was under the correlation and regression section.

I have never done it, so if anyone could explain it in the context of the unit(correlation and regression) that would be great thanks!

Thanks everyone
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
In general, if X is a random variable and a is any number, then \text{Var} (aX + b) = a^2 \text{Var}(X). Also, if X,Y are independent, then \text{Var}(X+Y)= \text{Var}(X) + \text{Var}(Y). [So combining these we get \text{Var}(aX+bY+c) = a^2\text{Var}(X)+b^2\text{Var}(Y  ).]

I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to the S1 syllabus, but provided you know what correlation is and so on, you can work out how this will affect your results. If you're still clueless or if this isn't what you're getting at, then see what your textbook has to say -- if there's nothing there, then you either probably won't need it, or you already know the result without knowing you know it.
vc94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Suppose you have 2 variables x and y with correlation coefficient r, then if you apply a linear coding to either x or y, i.e
X= ax +b and Y=cy +d where a,b,c,d are constants then the correlation coeff of X and Y is also r.

For variance there's the result Var(ax + b) = (a^2)Var(x) for any constants a and b.
george424
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks!

I still don't really get it, but it's not in my textbook so I'll assume we don't need to know it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads