Yet Another M1 Question I'm Stuck On :( Watch

Bakasplitz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ahhh~ going through M1 questions in my textbook is starting to stress me out when i can't seem to get around a question even with looking back at examples D:

but for this question i don't even know what to use?
F=ma?

A hot-air balloon, its occupants and ballast have total mass 2000kg. The balloon is travelling horizontally with constant velocity. The occupants release 100kg of ballast. Neglecting air resistance, find the magnitude of the acceleration of the balloon.

do i use F=ma to solve this question? D:
ttoby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What you need to do here is consider the forces acting on the balloon - lift and weight. When the ballast is removed, the weight is reduced so the net force changes from zero to some value upwards. It might help to draw a diagram:
Bakasplitz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by ttoby)
What you need to do here is consider the forces acting on the balloon - lift and weight. When the ballast is removed, the weight is reduced so the net force changes from zero to some value upwards. It might help to draw a diagram:
Thanks alot dude~ managed to work it out now ^^
i completely forgot about taking lift into account (:
diagrams really help ^^ thanks [:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads