The Student Room Group

How do you think World War III will start?

My theory is once Iran is attacked, all hell will break loose.

How do you think WWIII will start?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No idea how, but given it has become very close to happening a few times (my favourite is the guy who stopped a nuclear launch on submarine) i think it will come close to happening again .. whether it really happens? I dunno. I'd rather not be a guinea pig in the world's 'my nuclear missile is bigger' argument.
Reply 2
Personally I don't think there can be another WWIII.

The only person who will ever launch a nuclear weapon in anger will be a rogue state, and if they did the whole world (incl. Russia + China) would attack them with conventional forces - I don't believe anyone in the UNSC will ever launch a nuke.

Even if everyone attacked a rogue state it wouldn't exactly be a world war. If there was some kind of world war it would come about through an Arabic coalition attacking India/North Africa or something.
Reply 3
probably shortly after you make a third thread about it
I don't think it will be nuclear.

MAD
I don't think there will be a world war involving arab nations.

China is the main worry. The next 50 years involves so many potential crises, and I just cannot see the path we are on as sustainable. As the world becomes even more ridiculously overpopulated and the energy crisis changes from a long term problem to a short term problem, all hell will break loose. All Nuclear weapons have done is prolong the artificial peace between numerous conflicting ideologies.
Reply 6
I am fairly convinced that a major international war over access to clean water will occur within the next 50 years.
Reply 7
When Israel attacks Iran. Because then you'll get America, North Korea, China, Russia, and Europe dragged into it. I'd like to think we'd stick with Russia and China but you just know we'll get stuck with America.
Reply 8
Original post by ok_cub2008

China is the main worry. The next 50 years involves so many potential crises, and I just cannot see the path we are on as sustainable. As the world becomes even more ridiculously overpopulated and the energy crisis changes from a long term problem to a short term problem, all hell will break loose. All Nuclear weapons have done is prolong the artificial peace between numerous conflicting ideologies.

China won't start a war - their economy relies too much on exports.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ok_cub2008

Most predictions are over population may not be as huge a problem in the future, the only concern being people who get older. China as a population is heavily populated by males, to the point where the "1 child" policy may actually be scrapped due to something like coming up to a 70:30 split between the genders.

China wouldn't be a huge worry. It's a rapidly advancing country, but it's not a "die-hard" communist country who wants everyone to follow communism or die trying. Once it overtakes America as the leading economy, it'll just carry on on it's merry way. What they have going is working, why would they stop it? They aren't even a communist country compared to other countries.
Reply 10
Resources.
The world will run out of fossil fuels
Reply 12
Original post by Broderss
When Israel attacks Iran. Because then you'll get America, North Korea, China, Russia, and Europe dragged into it. I'd like to think we'd stick with Russia and China but you just know we'll get stuck with America.

Who do you think will side with who? (Genuinely curious)
I think it will start when the muslims impose sharia law in europe or the USA, this will be followed by riots and eventually a massive war between the west and islamic states, or a Jihad as it would be known. Then iran might pull out its secret stash of nukes and blow up the planet.
Original post by Tenbinza
Personally I don't think there can be another WWIII.

Another WW3? when was the last WW3? :tongue:

There will most likely be a Pan-Arabian War at some point but whether it will turn into a world is highly unlikely.
Reply 15
Original post by mel0n
Who do you think will side with who? (Genuinely curious)

Russia, China, NK, Iran vs America, Israel, UK and probably most of Europe.
Reply 16
I think most of the developed countries like Russia and America have learned from WWI and WWII big wars are far too dangerous and could end up loosing far more then they can ever gain.

China will not start a war with anyone, its govt is doing fine as they are earning bucketfuls of money. The military brass owns loads of factories, property and investments and making a lot of money. The last thing they want is to have to go to war with the like of America or India and threaten their cushy lifestyle.

The middle east is just an annoyance, an arena for the big powers to strut their stuff as we are now seeing with Libya. America, China and Russia dosen't even bother getting that involved because its a side show.
Something similar to Vietnam and Afghanistan? Maybe.

Another World War? Nah.
Bro...bro. It's already started.

And it's not a massive military engagement. It's a shift in global power.
Russia and the United States will go to a G8 summit wearing the same outfit and ... well, we all know what happens when a same-dress-nightmare occurs ...

That's right. At dawn.

Quick Reply