How to get a low BF without affecting muscle growth much? Watch

village_anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Obviously for a low BF the simple thing is to do lots of cardio. The only problem with this is that to build muscle, it's advised to do barely any cardio.

Also, to gain muscle it is said to drink lots of full fat milk and to eat lots of (nutritious) calories, yet I've also read cut down your meal portions to lose calories to burn fat. I still want to grow but have a low BF.

It seems lots of things I read have contradictions. One example is flicking through Men's Fitness in the shop one page listed a 1h 30m workout, then on the next page it said not to do more than 45m, as after that the stress hormone cortisol is released and it stunts muscle growth!

I want to have some size at least and I'm making gains, but I want to be toned and have noticeable abs. Not just some skinny guy who has noticeable abs because he weighs 9 stone at 6 feet or something like that (eg). Anyone have any tried and tested advice or reputable sources who have nothing to gain from their words (unlike people in Men's F.)?
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Keep your diet clean, big and work hard in the gym and it will happen, but it does take time. Men's fitness and the like are generally going to spout crap, especially having to fill pages week in week out with effectivly the same basic principals.
village_anonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by Double Agent)
Keep your diet clean, big and work hard in the gym and it will happen, but it does take time. Men's fitness and the like are generally going to spout crap, especially having to fill pages week in week out with effectivly the same basic principals.
Do I need to be daily cardio or just a few times a week? Or none? Muscley people never seem to have abs (but maybe they're doing it wrong).
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vilage_idoit)
Do I need to be daily cardio or just a few times a week? Or none? Muscley people never seem to have abs (but maybe they're doing it wrong).
lolwut
Freakonomics123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You first build all the muscles, by eating alot of proteins ect...then after you cut down the body fat so your abs are visible
cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
strong noob
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go ask Zyzz
village_anonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_t)
lolwut
A few of my friends are going for size and they have plenty of muscle, but also plenty of fat. I don't really want that. Obviously if they cut down their BF they'd look a lot better but I don't really want to be like that. I'd rather grow slowly but remain trim and fit than pile on fat and muscle then cut down the fat.
StressReliever
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A few of my friends are going for size and they have plenty of muscle, but also plenty of fat. I don't really want that. Obviously if they cut down their BF they'd look a lot better but I don't really want to be like that. I'd rather grow slowly but remain trim and fit than pile on fat and muscle then cut down the fat.
If you don't want to do a bulk, then do a recomp instead. Eat around maintenance calories and lift heavy.
village_anonymous
Rep:
?
(Original post by StressReliever)
If you don't want to do a bulk, then do a recomp instead. Eat around maintenance calories and lift heavy.
What's a recomp and what do you mean by maintenance calories? I'm clueless, tried google but there're lots of different threads.
StressReliever
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What's a recomp and what do you mean by maintenance calories? I'm clueless, tried google but there're lots of different threads.
Maintenance calories are the amount of cals it takes just to maintain your weight.

A recomp (or recomposition) is where you are working to alter the body composition, ultimately replacing fat with muscle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.86%
No - but I will (101)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (632)
47.66%

Watched Threads