Testing Power Supplies Watch

rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

So, went to turn my PC on, and it did nothing.
Had power to the extension that it is powered off of.
Turned power on/off, no change.
Flicked the switch on the back of the PSU a few times, no change.
Changed the IEC with the one powering my monitor, both IECs could power the monitor.
Switched the IECs back, no change. Then after flicking the switch on the PSU off and on, it worked.

So, just wondering - is it likely to be just a weird thing that happened, or a sign something will go wrong soon? And any way I can test the PSU to tell if it will fail soon?

Robert
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
on the 20 pin connector hotwire the green to any black terminal (one next to it is fine) like so

now plug any 12v fan in a molex connector and it should spin if it works

also dont plug it in till uve hotwired and plugged the fan in , you dont want to get electrocuted the voltages could kill u
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumachi)
on the 20 pin connector hotwire the green to any black terminal (one next to it is fine) like so

now plug any 12v fan in a molex connector and it should spin if it works

also dont plug it in till uve hotwired and plugged the fan in , you dont want to get electrocuted the voltages could kill u
Yeah, I know ground to MB signal, right now the PSU is working fine, I am just not sure why it wouldn't turn on before. I have a light on my MB that comes on when it is receiving power but off, so it wasn't the button not working / etc.

Just, it would be very inconvenient if my PSU died now, considering the amount of coursework I have, so want to try and prevent it from failing if possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads