Biology a Soft Science Watch

PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why is it that Biology is seen as being less good than the other sciences and Maths; I would understand that attitude to Psychology, but why Biology?
Fonix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol.

Has it really come to this? Biology is not a "soft" science. All 3 of the main sciences (Bio, Chem and Phys) are "hard" in comparison to the majority of other subjects.

Maybe Biology is easier than the other 2 sciences, but that is not saying much. Its still hard.

I done all 3 at A level, and found Biology to be the easiest. I also took Geo (I done 4 A-levels) and Geo was way WAY easier than the 3 sciences.
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's an in-joke between geeks, similar to the one about viola players.
PercyChatsworth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it?

I thought Biology was harder than Chemistry at A-level; too much material to learn. A-level Maths was the easiest one of all for me as it just makes sense. Psychology would just drive me potty.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
kind of which I'd took biology instead of chemistry, I used to think it was boring but hearing friends talk about it now it sounds really interesting. plus if its apparently easier that would of been even better
Stormwhite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imperial maniac)
It's an in-joke between geeks, similar to the one about viola players.
This. It's also the least 'pure' of the three sciences.
JohnnytheFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get to degree level and you'll soon discover that there's no such thing as a "soft" science.
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stormwhite)
This. It's also the least 'pure' of the three sciences.
That's true, too many people take it who don't know what an electron is :O
Unwavering
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
michael clayton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't call it a soft science but it's difficult to gain an advanced knowledge of all the Biological sciences because they cover such a broad spectrum. I'm hoping to study Biochemistry and I'm pretty sure there will be some hardcore science in there somewhere!
rhi-rhi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you kidding? Do you know how much chemistry and physics is involved in biology? Heck, i had a quantum mechanics lecture for biological chemistry!Seriously thought the guy was joking.
All sciences are very interlinked - even maths gets a look in at some points.
Elbonian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did Physics and Maths as opposed to Biology for the International Baccalaureate, and they were proper hard, despite doing well in them for GCSE. I didn't do IB Biology, but my mates who did do it found it straightforward. I don't see it being any harder than the other natural sciences. But I wouldn't say it's an easy subject when you're supposed to memorize a ridiculous amount of information.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rocket Science

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.67%
No - but I will (53)
7.03%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
48.01%

Watched Threads