Masters after Graduating? Watch

medic101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just a thought really . . . I'm interested in a bit of research and have found a few MSc programs I can apply to which offer what I'm looking for. They are full time and i'm just wondering what it means for my career if I applied to do the MSc straight after graduating from medical school?

Would it make it difficult to get a place for F1 the following year? I need your opinions and advice.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Assuming that you're a UK graduate and would ordinarily be eligible for the FP upon graduation - then you'd be equally as eligible a year after graduation. The way that the FP currently (that bit is important) is that all candidates are tested for eligibility upon application, and then all eligible applicants compete equally, based on academic quartile / answers to a series of questions / extra degrees and publications etc. What this means is that factors such as which medical school you went to or what you've done since are not going to affect you either positively or adversely. (You won't have finished the MSc by the time you apply so it won't boost your application). As I understand it, if you qualified more than 2 years before you plan to start the FP, you have to take a test to prove you're still up to scratch. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Whether it's a good idea though... I think it would be tough to take a year out before starting FY1, personally if it were me I would worry about deskilling. There's also the consideration of how you're going to fund it - yes there are career development loans, but MSc's aren't cheap. That said, there are a few people who do it and love it.

(I am doing one, part time distance learning, started it in FY1 and doing it over 3 years, officially it's a "taught" masters but as it's almost exclusively distance learning, it's more self-taught... And as it's part time the fees are pro-rata, which is very useful).
Madprof
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's perfectly possible to do an MSc straight after medical school, but if you didn't want to how about taking a year out during medical school to do an MSc? A few people I know have done/are doing this and it seems to have worked out well. Courses may well last 12 months so it might be a little tricky fitting it in, but certainly do-able.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads