Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    haha

ReputationRep:
    College : Churchill
    Course : Engineering
    How was it? I have no idea what so ever. I had only one interview with the director of studies which was subject specific. He himself was pleasent but his questions were tough. First he asked me questions on Superconductors & their applications, then some questions on Aerospace. After that he asked me some questions from the book I wrote about in the cambridge questionnaire. I don't know but after every answer he was saying 'interesting, very interesting' in a strange way so I dont know what he meant.

That was about half of the interview and then in the other half he asked me questions on maths and physics. The questions were difficult, so he gave me a hint whenever i got stuck. But he did not seem to be impressed, so I guess I will just have to wait for 2 weeks to get a rejection letter.

ReputationRep:
    College: Trinity
    Course: Law
    How was it: The whole thing was quite relaxing: I was interviewed by Dr Scherpe and Ms Merrett who were thoroughly nice people, and I spent a good portion of it smiling because they seemed especially good-natured. However, that has got me worrying. I got a section of law beforehand, which I studied in the library for 30 minutes, and I felt I discussed that reasonably well, but I also feel that at times my points were quite hesitant and not sufficiently far-reaching. They did say things like, "well that's right" and "definitely", but I'm presuming that's a tactic to soothe the candidates, as opposed to a reliable indicator of proficiency.

(Edited for unintentional interview-revealing purposes)

Other than that it was fine; a short interview (about 30 minutes), a comfortable chair and a nice experience of an excellent town. I feel I gave a good account of myself, and if I did it again I wouldn't change my performance. My real fear is that I feel that way because they didn't push me, which has left me somewhat fearful. Now I just have to wait for New Year's Eve to see whether I get to have a good New Year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    At one point in my subject interview I was asked to close my eyes and point to where in the room one of the interviewers was shaking a baby's rattle, and to explain how I did it :rolleyes:
    what fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    At one point in my subject interview I was asked to close my eyes and point to where in the room one of the interviewers was shaking a baby's rattle, and to explain how I did it :rolleyes:
    That would have been Dr Matthews, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkDavies)
    College: Trinity
    Course: Law
    How was it: The whole thing was quite relaxing: I was interviewed by Dr Scherpe and Ms Merrett who were thoroughly nice people, and I spent a good portion of it smiling because they seemed especially good-natured. However, that has got me worrying...

My real fear is that I feel that way because they didn't push me, which has left me somewhat fearful.
    1) Merrett and Scherpe are actually really lovely - M is my DoS and Scherpe supervises me in Criminal. I wouldn't worry that they were "overly nice" and encouraging - Scherpe is still nice to me and I know for a fact that I'm far from struggling in Criminal

2) Re: not stretching you - I get the same feeling much of the time. Interviewers who are good will stretch as much as they see is necessary... and both of them are.

Best of luck and hope to see you next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnWhatWingsDare)
    NatSci (Physical)
    Trinity College

I didn't do my best at the test (2 correct answers and 2 questions partly done and with some mistakes).
    ...anyway I could have done better at the test.

...At the end of my interview (after I said I didn't have any questions for them) one of them said something like "look around in Cambridge while you're"
    Don't worry about the test. It's, from what I hear, far more to give you material to discuss in the interview. Who did you have? I think I was Bergemann and Neuberger...

As for comments - interviewers do mention things at the end that they really shouldn't... mine cut my interview 10-15 minutes short, and mentioned something weird about how I didn't have to worry about the pool because "good candidates only need to worry about the pool if they're international". Problem is that it has you dwelling on the comment far too much - and was even more panicky before finding out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    That would have been Dr Matthews, then.
    It was. How did you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synaesthesia)
    Don't worry about the test. It's, from what I hear, far more to give you material to discuss in the interview. Who did you have? I think I was Bergemann and Neuberger...
    I had dr. Rallison and dr. Duke.

(Original post by synaesthesia)
    As for comments - interviewers do mention things at the end that they really shouldn't...
    "good candidates only need to worry about the pool if they're international".
    Awww... problem is I am...
    One more thing to worry about I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope I'm not pooled. When I get my letter I want to know that I'm being made an offer or being rejected. I don't want to have to wait even longer to find out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    I really hope I'm not pooled. When I get my letter I want to know that I'm being made an offer or being rejected. I don't want to have to wait even longer to find out...
    And I spent so long choosing my college! I think I would rather be rejected than go through it all again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    When I get my letter I want to know that I'm being made an offer or being rejected.
    Well, if I get pooled that means I'm rejected cause I just don't have the opportunity to come for another interview...

"if you have any questions about admission just write an e-mail"
    Could that actually refer to the pool procedure?!? :eek: I mean, what else could be a reason for enquiring about admission after the interview?

ReputationRep:
    What!?!?!?!?!? We go through that whole emotionally traumatic experience AGAIN if we're pooled? Give me strength.

ReputationRep:
    If we are pooled and have another interview , how do they arrange that so it doesnt clash with january exams ?
    To be honest i would be soo happy to be pooled , it mean its not a rejection....(which is more likely)
    Besides being pooled means i have another chance to do better in the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **noooni**)
    If we are pooled and have another interview , how do they arrange that so it doesnt clash with january exams ?
    I think it says on the cambridge website that they are more flexible with interview dates for pooled applicants to avoid clashes with january exams

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm finally back, and I had my interviews on Tuesday...

College: Catz
    Course: Chinese Studies
    How was it: The more I think about it, the worse it seems. But just after the interviews had ended, I thought they were ok. I was very nervous in the first one and surely have said many stupid things. I think the worst what I did was that I was talking a lot but not getting anywhere... I feel better about the subject interview. It was very informal, and I was relaxed. I think I have done all I could, so I try not to worry too much. We only have to wait now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview on friday, so hi to everyone who I may have seen!

College: Queens
    Course: Bio NatSci
    How was it: I only had one interview and it was pretty average. They asked me loads of really simple questions (some so simple I completely overlooked the obvious answer, meaning they were getting quite frustrated with me.) I left thinking that maybe they thought I couldn't hack any harder questions! The TSA was ok, had to guess a few questions at the end though, coz i ran out of time!

ReputationRep:
    i was at sidney too for english and i got the same poems which seems potentially unfair considering the tuesday candidates could have found out and prepared for them.
    My larkin interview didn't go that well either tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    It was. How did you know?
    Dr Matthews does that routine in his medical/natsci interviews every year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, by the way, it is NOT cold in Cambridge, at least for me, lol! I brought two sweaters but it was quite a normal temperature, much like we have it around October - November here.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.