The Official "I've had an interview!" thread Watch

Evil Phoenix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
College - St Catz
Subject - Econ

Comments: first one wasnt brilliant at all, second went really well i think, hope it counts more and for the rest, guess we'll see :p: :cool:
Lightning
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
College - Gonville and Caius
Subject -Natsci Bio

Well I dont know how I did. The first, general one seemed to go okay, I was asked about one of the project I did which I mentioned in my Personal statement, and the conversation was kind of light, with many laughters etc...
Then she showed me pictures of some fish and asked me things on evolution, what is evolution etc, asked me to give example, and make up a hypothesis on the evolution of these fish, which I did, and she asked me to design an experiment to test my hypothesis.....
She then asked me to interprete 2 different graphs, at that point i felt so stupid coz i didnt understand what the word predation means.. mind blank... but eventually gave a quite.. simple.. explaination...

The second interview... thinking about it I am really scared, coz the guy asked me like.. why do you think natural selection hasnt killed off all the people with cystic fibrosis.. i just went blank and said i dont know.. He lead me through the questions and after i see the link, he asked me something else which i didnt even understand the question, my mind was kind of drifting away at that point.. so.... dunno..
The question is so simple though. .argg!

the other guy asked me to interprate a electro micrograph and i kind of worked it out, but nevertheless he told me all the essentials which i could not figure out, or didnt at the time, and he asked me which uses more enrgy, fly, run or swim.. i said swim.... and apparently its fly.. how stupid.. thats like...common sense.. I even argued saying water has more friction........ So the guy said.. well it might be but actually blah blah...
Also after i answer each question he asked, which include right answers sometimes, he always ended with the comment good for you each time... Im really worried of that comment now....
So... i dont know how i did
S.Y.
Report 13 years ago
Course: Mathematics

College: Clare

How it went: I thought it went all right. Both interviews were just solving maths problems, I got three questions in each interview, did manage to get the answer with many hints from the interviewer, made a few very silly mistakes in my first interview. I don't think my second interviewer was in a good mood, and the interview started 10 minutes later than it meant to be (not due to the delay of anyone before me as I was the first one to be interviewed at that afternoon), and I just waited 15 minutes in that corridor, wondering what's going on.
The Lady Raven
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by notsoperfect)
... i'm not sure if your system is correct, just because i was there at downing being interviewed for english the same day as you by the sounds of it (the 8th december?), and i had the interview with dr. phillips (the hard one) first, and then the less stressful interview (dr. tomalin) in the afternoon! i think it's just a case of timetables and where they can fit people in.

your experience sounded pretty similar to mine, we must have been at the test at the same time (if yours was at 9 a.m. and supervised by dr. phillips)! what were you wearing? (i tend to remember people by what they were wearing.)
Yes I was there! Also, it's not my system it's something that someone else said to me and it definitely worked for me - I had Dr Tomalin first and then Dr Philips. I completely agree that Dr Philips was the hard interviewer - she was nice but her questions seemed far more inclined to trip you up. I was wearing a black jacket, waistcoat (not sure what possessed me - panic maybe) and a pink striped shirt. Long hair lol. How do you think you did?
Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Duke Flipside)
One thing that puzzled me is that they were all totally subject-orientated, no 'general' sorts of interviews, or even questions like "Why did you pick Downing?"
Has anyone else had something like this?
I had an interview at downing on the 7th, and all mine were subject orientated, however what puzzled me was the fact that i had to do alomst no calculations, and the questions were pretty much all a-level. Did you find this too?
Duke Flipside
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rpotter)
I had an interview at downing on the 7th, and all mine were subject orientated, however what puzzled me was the fact that i had to do alomst no calculations, and the questions were pretty much all a-level. Did you find this too?
I had one, I think...(and I was so nervous I couldn't do 11² without paper :blushing: ) but I suppose that counts as next to no calculations. I didn't actually think about that, but now that you mention it it does seem a little strange
I'm not sure if the questions were a-level or not...some of them were higher (AS-ish) level, but they seemed suprised I knew it. I found I'd covered about half of what they asked me about, but whether this was because A levels and Adv. Hs are different, or because they were deliberately asking extra-curricular knowledge I can't be sure.
Still, none of the questions were harder than I'd expect from that sort of level.
bigluce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Geography at St. Catz

First interview with a Chemist was awful
Second interview with a geographer was good but not great
Hamid
Report 13 years ago
Economics at Pembroke. General Interview (wasnt actually general) was pretty good, chatted about some interesting topics.
Subject interview was horrible, couldnt do anything they set and so they had to work through it all with me.... lol
I was stressed after it but in reflection it was a good/interesting experience.
SithMaster
Report 13 years ago
College: Christ's
Course: Nat. Sci (physical)

How was it?
My first interview was very short (if you look hard enough you will find a whole thread devoted to this topic). I answered most of my questions correctly and both interviewers commented on how good my personal statement was which has given me some confidence.

And I went to the Natural World shop in the town centre and bought this tubular plastic thing which makes a noise when you swing it round... its so ace!!
Splinter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
College: Trinity Hall
Course: Economics

How was it?

Well, in one word - poo. I wont whine or anything, i just thought i did really badly. The interview really threw me, we were given lots of work to read and essays to submit but nothing was asked on that at all. Got asked lots of maths, most of which i couldnt remember as i havent done any maths for like 9 months. Economics questions were really hard and pushed me a lot, but i did manage to dig myself into some holes like mentioning Mlathusian population theory (sigh).
It was also nothing like my interviews last year (i re-applied this year), the interview was long (45 mins) and the person was unfriendly, so i kinda paniced a bit on the maths.

Meh, warwick here i come.
Lama
Report 13 years ago
Course: Economics
I had just one interview with DoS of Econ and Maths. The Maths part went pretty well, I think, but not sure about the Economics part, completely no idea, they made a comment like "although u couldn't ..., but that part was quite impressive". WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
I feel that some part went totally terribly I want 31/12 to be tomorrow
mel0112
Report 13 years ago
"Economics questions were really hard and pushed me a lot, but i did manage to dig myself into some holes like mentioning Mlathusian population theory (sigh)."

Interesting you mentioned Malthus. I applied for Geography at Jesus and wrote an essay sorta surrounding population theory relating to China. Interviewer talked about this and then in passing comment said that Malthus actually studied at Jesus college and that his painting was in the hall (didnt notice that whilst eating breakfast. but interesting bit of miscellanious fact).
Splinter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well, i dunno, i hope they are maybe sympathetic i had no clue about maths because of time spent not doing it, and i do have the grades to show that i can do maths (a 6 in IB higher maths is pretty good)
In terms of economics questions, i had no response at all, which is why i felt i did badly, because they never said a single positive thing.
MonsieurE
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Course: History (V100)

First interview I was a dithering muppet and couldn't confidently answer any simple question which I was I given. The second interview (the general one) was more enjoyable but I don't know if it went any better. The questions varied in difficulty... I have a horrible feeling that the only reason my second interview seemed okay was because it became a formality after my performance in the first. Oh well..... :rolleyes:
notsoperfect
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Lady Raven)
Yes I was there! Also, it's not my system it's something that someone else said to me and it definitely worked for me - I had Dr Tomalin first and then Dr Philips. I completely agree that Dr Philips was the hard interviewer - she was nice but her questions seemed far more inclined to trip you up. I was wearing a black jacket, waistcoat (not sure what possessed me - panic maybe) and a pink striped shirt. Long hair lol. How do you think you did?
The thing I found with Dr Philips was that she didn't give me much of a clue as to how I was doing, so I had no idea if I was just rambling about absolute crap?! I just couldn't tell.

I'm not sure how I did. Cambridge has always been a complete long shot for me and I only really decided to apply at the last minute and so missed a lot of the mock interviews and things at school. I don't think I did really badly, but I really really doubt that I was one of the best! I found the interview with Dr Philips really challenging and I'm not sure about the test. I keep thinking of things that I should have said, and when we took it I didn't know who either of the sonnets were by (in fact, at the time I didn't even realise that they WERE sonnets)!

Did we chat to each other outside the test? I was wearing all black with blondish hair and I was the girl who walked into the engineering test by accident!
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Please read Helen's Sticky if you have not yet done so.
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maths at Peterhouse.

'General' interview wasn't too great, unable to do the most simple things. Subject interview was better, a good few blunders and blind alleys, but I felt I showed them how good I was - it just remains to be seen whether that is better than the competition.
bob_54321
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
and is "anus institution" gramatically correct? and it should be "have diminished" not "has diminished". and years should have an apostrophe. as should pigs. and the forth line of the main paragraph is very badly phrased. shame oxford have to put up with you really, or, if you're not actually there yet, hope they realise not to bother offering you a place.
Bingo Jesus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just got back from my Maths interviews at Pembroke. I had three, I think the first one (with the Director of studies) was a mess and I just embarrassed myself, but I think the other two went rather well.

Just got to wait to see what they say.
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
College: St John's
Course: Mathematics G100

It went groovyish, was an enjoyable experience...will have to wait and see...St John's JCR needs a new Red Ball for the pool table like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.34%
No - I got the required grades (97)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.57%

Watched Threads