Bibliography for SQA Higher English Folio Discursive Essay? Watch

rossg93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Do you think that it is possible to score very highly (out of 25) in the discursive essay that is part of the folio?

The reason I ask is because I wrote a first essay (on Abortion) that, shamefully, wasnt that good but it did recieve 15 marks. It mainly focused on facts/figures and had no real line of arguement. The re-draft was different.

I re-wrote the essay, although this time I focused more on the ideas and implications that sorrounded Abortion and it had a strong line of arguement/thought. The teacher agreed, as they indicated it would receive more than 15 and was "alot better". It didn't have a bibliography however.

I didnt need to reference sources because all the ideas and opinions came from my head (an indication of my strong feelings on the subject). I want to know, do you think that someone can write a good essay yet not use sources such as the internet etc? (a good essay being 19 or over).

I did, briefly, touch on the situation of Abortion in other countries. That is simply fact - it does not need to be referenced because I'm not plagiarizing anyone.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surely you've read some online articles or newspapers as a part of your research? or did you write your entire essay off of the top of your head?
Inlineadam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the whole idea of the discursive essay is that it is an essay where you have arguments for and against the subject and back the arguments up with facts and figures from professionals.

I think it'll be hard for you to get away with it..

As the guy above said, surely you got atleast a few of the ideas from somewhere..
Inlineadam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is from the SQA Website:

Argumentative Writing:

Argumentative writing will treat a topic or issue in a way which presents a line of argument,dealing with two or more varying viewpoints.

The main requirements of the argumentative essay are that it will:

? communicate a clear and balanced line of argument
? present two sides of an argument (or more, if applicable)
? distinguish between facts and opinions
? convey an argumentative tone which is measured, reasonable and yet carries personal
conviction
? communicate to the reader a clear sense that the writer has weighed up different aspects
of the argument before reaching conclusions
? make effective use of a number of argumentative techniques such as comparison,
contrast, confirmation, refutation, counter-argument, proof, disproof.

Notice; " facts and opinions " and " proof "

The only way youcould prove your point is to back it up with evidence, which would require statistics/evidence from someone who is not you... hence you must have a bibliography...
ProudScottish
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it should be ok, as my teacher said it was ok to a boy in my class. He wrote an essay on Charlie Sheen without anything reference to sources as it all came from his head.
rossg93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
ProudScottish, that was sarcasm right?

Tbh It slipped my mind to include the bibliography. I did look at a few websites to get the gist of the arguments. I never copied anything.

Was is the worst thing that can happen, and is it possible that I could still get a good mark?
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rossg93)

Tbh It slipped my mind to include the bibliography. I did look at a few websites to get the gist of the arguments. I never copied anything.

Was is the worst thing that can happen, and is it possible that I could still get a good mark?
You might not have copied anything but their arguments may have slipped into your sub-conscious. You might not realise it but you may have paraphrased an argument you have read online, which would be plagarism.
Inlineadam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

My worry is not plagirism. I'm concerned that without the inclusion of facts/figures/quotes then it won't be good enough quality.

If you read my previous post, i showed how the SQA want proof, opinions and facts in your essay...
Inlineadam
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the worst that could happen is you get half marks.
ProudScottish
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

NO I'M NOT! Why would I saracistic about something important like this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads