Any 400 metre hurdlers? Watch

lackjan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello
I have my first 400m hurdles race next saturday as an U20 and was just asking for some advice on it. I made my 'debut' at 300mh on thursday and came third with a time of 49.1 seconds, and stuttered badly three times because I was too I was suffering from lead legs from another training session. So, without stuttered because I can alternate my legs Im going for 65 seconds, perhaps a bit faster. I just need a bit of advice, if anyone has got any?
Thanks x
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dabbled with hurdles a few years ago, and I know it's bloody hard work, 400m is hard enough as it it, so kudos to you.
As for advice, if your U20 theres not really much you don't know, obviously try to keep your posture when jumping over the hurdles, know your stride pattern, make sure you don't burn out etc.
jwebo27
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I'm a 400m hurdler. Trust us going for the hardest event!

If you are good at alternating lead legs that will definitely be a good help. For me I can keep the same stride pattern up until the seventh hurdle and then I have to hurdle that with the wrong leg. After that I'm fine. If you can hurdle the ones on the bend with your left leg lead then that would be ideal because you are going with the bend. I'm a right leg lead which is a bit annoying.

For the actual race make sure you go out quite hard to the first hurdle. When you hit the back straight keep tall and relax. Also try and just stride out to the hurdle. Keep a good long stride length, without overstriding!!!

You will start to feel the pain at the 200m mark so you are going to have to keep your arms pumping and try and keep a good knee lift. Then you have the last straight. You really have to exaggerate the arms and legs and try and keep horizontal over the last two hurdles. Because your legs are tired you will want to jump high over it but you have to hurdle it as well as you can!

Your tactics will change depending on the wind. If there is a wind going with you in the back straight then you will want to go out slightly easier and just let the wind carry you (this will make it easier in the last straight). If the wind is with you in the home straight then you will want to go out hard and really battle the wind down the back straight because the wind will help you in the home straight.

I'm a top age U17 and run 58.1 over the 84cm high hurdles and 59.5 over the 90cm.

They don't call it the man killer for nothing

Hope this helps and good luck for the race!!!
lackjan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How on earth could you ever go that fast?
Today went okay, I was in the lead until hurdle 7 and then just stuttered really badly and lost a load of time and came second in 72. annoyed at the time but I ran okay soooo hmphh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.93%
No - but I will (98)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (601)
47.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise