Private accomodation Watch

Snow841
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm moving in with my boyfriend in September. We are going to different unis but they are close enough to rent a flat in between and travel to uni every day (will be about half an hour for each of us). We are planning to rent a flat in a small village close to both unis, which isn't included in the catchment area and has no student accomodation avaiable. We will have to look for a flat to rent ourselves, and hence why I have a few questions. Does looking for a flat on your own instead through unis, or unite change anything? It wouldn't be student accomodation, but private, do we have to inform the universities about it? Does it influence the amount of loan we're eligible to? I'm guessing we wouldn't have to pay council tax or wouldn't be eligible to any official benefits but I just want to confirm it here. Sorry it must sound really dumb to some of you to ask these questions, but we're completely new to this. Maybe someone who's already done it could give some advice? Thanks!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Snow841)
Does looking for a flat on your own instead through unis, or unite change anything?
I'm not sure what you mean. Some landlords won't take students, bills aren't usually included in private lets, you'll need a guarantor, and some flats aren't furnished.

It wouldn't be student accomodation, but private, do we have to inform the universities about it?
No. Just make sure the university has the address so they can contact you.

Does it influence the amount of loan we're eligible to?
No. My loan and bursary combined aren't enough to pay my rent, so I would've killed for more!

I'm guessing we wouldn't have to pay council tax or wouldn't be eligible to any official benefits but I just want to confirm it here.
You apply to your local council for council tax exemption, with proof that you are attending uni (your enrollment letter will do) and a bill/tenancy agreement to prove your residency.

Maybe someone who's already done it could give some advice?
I live in a private flat, so feel free to ask any more questions. If you've never rented somewhere before, it can seem quite overwhelming! Where were you thinking of living?
Snow841
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I'm not sure what you mean. Some landlords won't take students, bills aren't usually included in private lets, you'll need a guarantor, and some flats aren't furnished.

No. Just make sure the university has the address so they can contact you.

No. My loan and bursary combined aren't enough to pay my rent, so I would've killed for more!

You apply to your local council for council tax exemption, with proof that you are attending uni (your enrollment letter will do) and a bill/tenancy agreement to prove your residency.

I live in a private flat, so feel free to ask any more questions. If you've never rented somewhere before, it can seem quite overwhelming! Where were you thinking of living?
Thank you so much! We're planning to rent a flat in St Austell, Cornwall.
We have been searching for a while, we even attended a few viewings but they told us that it's too soon to get anything sorted yet and that we should come back in July/August. That kinda scared me because I know so many people already have their accomodation sorted!

How much rent do you pay per month? We were trying to work out how much we'd be willing to pay and we thought 400pcm should be the limit. Obviously that's excluding all the bills...
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much! We're planning to rent a flat in St Austell, Cornwall.
We have been searching for a while, we even attended a few viewings but they told us that it's too soon to get anything sorted yet and that we should come back in July/August. That kinda scared me because I know so many people already have their accomodation sorted!

How much rent do you pay per month? We were trying to work out how much we'd be willing to pay and we thought 400pcm should be the limit. Obviously that's excluding all the bills...
Student accommodation needs to organised a lot sooner than private lets, because of the recommendation period during the summer and how the contracts work out.

July seems about right as you move in pretty much straight away; I found my flat in August after looking at 3 other properties, and moved in about 2 weeks later.

Plymouth is a pretty popular city, and I live in a non-student area, so I pay £500 a month. To be honest, as it's Cornwall, and to get somewhere half decent, I would say £450 is more like it.
Snow841
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Student accommodation needs to organised a lot sooner than private lets, because of the recommendation period during the summer and how the contracts work out.

July seems about right as you move in pretty much straight away; I found my flat in August after looking at 3 other properties, and moved in about 2 weeks later.

Plymouth is a pretty popular city, and I live in a non-student area, so I pay £500 a month. To be honest, as it's Cornwall, and to get somewhere half decent, I would say £450 is more like it.
Do you live on your own? I will be sharing the flat with my boyfriend so we're hoping that our loan and bursaries put together might be enough to pay the rent + bills at least for the first few months...
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you live on your own? I will be sharing the flat with my boyfriend so we're hoping that our loan and bursaries put together might be enough to pay the rent + bills at least for the first few months...
Yep, it's so nice to have my own space! In that case, you should be alright.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (63)
37.95%
No - but I will (6)
3.61%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (87)
52.41%

Watched Threads