Internet running abit slow? Watch

Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My internet is working really slow. Everything is in working order (the router, Orange box, all lights are on that should be), but the general internet is slow. Pages with pictures etc take a while to load up.

Switched it off from the mains and on again, still not done the trick.

Any idea?

F_shakeey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Several reasons.

The simplest being that around this time of the day you get 'peak time' when everyone is trying to go on the interent, like a motorway on a bank holiday everyone trying to get away so it slows down.

'Fair usage policy' You could have been using way more than you plan says you should so they slow you down as punishment.

Thtas all I got but some smarter people than I will definitely post soon.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
It's been slow for a few days tbh...

I've never had a fair usage policy mentioned by my provider before and it's the first sort of time this has happened besides the obvious misc times when it goes abit haywire before resuming normal service.
F_shakeey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who is your ISP?
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Orange. My brother's got a contract with them and he got broadband as part of the deal years ago, very good tbh. Hardly had any technical issues with it.
F_shakeey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm well I am afraid I dont know. Try phoning them up.
wibletg
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How much use have you had of it recently? been torrenting anything or downloading large files?
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
I spoke to a friend who might said might be handy to do a speed test? How do I do that?

Not downloaded alot tbh, not sure if we have a limit on downloading things etc.
wibletg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
I spoke to a friend who might said might be handy to do a speed test? How do I do that?

Not downloaded alot tbh, not sure if we have a limit on downloading things etc.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Let it load then click begin test

It's probably not that then, but most providers have a fair use policy, you probably just didn't notice it when you or whoever signed the contract
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Cheers.

Done that. Ping 221ms, Download speed 0.17mpbs, Upload speed 0.74mpbs..

?

Did another one after that and the numbers were fairly similiar..
wibletg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cheers.

Done that. Ping 221ms, Download speed 0.17mpbs, Upload speed 0.74mpbs..

?

Did another one after that and the numbers were fairly similiar..
Yeah, I'm not surprised your internet seems slow, that's pretty poor. Give Orange a ring if you're feeling brave enough to battle through their customer service.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
I'm using the net now on a wired connection with the ethernet cable going from my router to the laptop and it's working the same...

Tried switching from my wireless and just plugged an ethernet cable from my laptop to the ISP box and done a speed test returning these results:

Ping45ms, Speed 0.12mpbs, Upload speed 0.44mpbs
wibletg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm using the net now on a wired connection with the ethernet cable going from my router to the laptop and it's working the same...

Tried switching from my wireless and just plugged an ethernet cable from my laptop to the ISP box and done a speed test returning these results:

Ping45ms, Speed 0.12mpbs, Upload speed 0.44mpbs
Yeah, give them a call, there's an issue somewhere
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
It's weird also because in my Network and Sharing centre it says the connection is excellent and I've got a full 5 bars on the little icon...? Seems going to have to give a call.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
(Original post by wibletg)
Yeah, I'm not surprised your internet seems slow, that's pretty poor. Give Orange a ring if you're feeling brave enough to battle through their customer service.
I emailed them and they rang me back this afternoon, and avoided the customer service you might have experienced! Lovely lady, just said she's going to send me out a new box as I've had mine since 2006. Having to survive on slow internet but hopefully not for long and that the new box does trick!

Cheers for your help pal.
wibletg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I emailed them and they rang me back this afternoon, and avoided the customer service you might have experienced! Lovely lady, just said she's going to send me out a new box as I've had mine since 2006. Having to survive on slow internet but hopefully not for long and that the new box does trick!

Cheers for your help pal.
No bother mate, glad to help
Puma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you been downloading a lot recently? Could be 'choked' by your ISP.
Virus?
Turn EVERYTHING off (router, modem etc) for 2 minutes and restart.
Do a speed test on speedtest.net
Refrigerator
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually stopped using Orange about a year ago I think now. We were with them way back when it was Wanadoo, but then after a while, it just couldn't take me and my brother both playing WoW at the same time - we kept DCing

we switched to Virgin, it's good
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Problem solved (hopefully anyway!).

Had a new box sent out, installed it and it seems to have done the trick.

Cheers for all the advice peeps.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads