The Student Room Group

Less immigration "saves Denmark Billions".

A report for the Danish government has concluded that their country's stricter immigration controls have saved them billions.
So says Der Spiegel.

Just think what we could do with a couple of spare billion every year:

Have a 100% renewable energy policy.
Save the nhs.
Get rid of student fees.

Take your pick.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So no immigration saves money through less benefit cost? Surely it then costs money through less foreign investment and general missed research benefits and ability to attract outside talent?
^ Most immigrants are hardly 'talent'

Key point: " According to the figures, migrants from non-Western countries who did manage to come to Denmark have cost the state €2.3 billion, while those from the West have actually contributed €295 million to government coffers."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
So no immigration saves money through less benefit cost? Surely it then costs money through less foreign investment and general missed research benefits and ability to attract outside talent?

Take for example polish immigration during the last decade.

They have increased the Uk population by almost 1% but only increased GDP by 0.39 percent, how is that benefical? It decreases GDP per head. Cut immigration and you save on services spend.
Reply 4
Original post by sete
Take for example polish immigration during the last decade.

They have increased the Uk population by almost 1% but only increased GDP by 0.39 percent, how is that benefical? It decreases GDP per head. Cut immigration and you save on services spend.

You cannot stop European immigration
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
You cannot stop European immigration

No, but it is an example of how Low-skilled immigration is not beneficial.
Reply 6
Original post by sete
No, but it is an example of how Low-skilled immigration is not beneficial.

Yeah true. Apart from the EU though all low skilled/unskilled is banned far as I know
Reply 7
I bet I could get into Denmark really easily.
Reply 8
EU membership is the stupidest thing this country ever did after taking in numerous immigrants from South Asia and Caribbean in the 50s and 60s.

If ever there was a need to take in migrant labour, it should have been the skilled and the wealthy not the 3rd rate ones that can't make it elsewhere.
Original post by Iorek
EU membership is the stupidest thing this country ever did after taking in numerous immigrants from South Asia and Caribbean in the 50s and 60s.

If ever there was a need to take in migrant labour, it should have been the skilled and the wealthy not the 3rd rate ones that can't make it elsewhere.

Sorry to say, but the UK would have collapsed after WW2 if it wasn't for migrant workers. Now, of course it needs to be limited
Reply 10
Original post by Aj12
Yeah true. Apart from the EU though all low skilled/unskilled is banned far as I know

We take in a lot of asylum seekers and their large families who then proceed to live of benefits for a long time as they are often unskilled and some speak no english.
From the article:

almost 10 percent of Denmark's 5.5 million people are migrants

So a significant proportion of their population are migrants.

This is the key portion of the article:

Pind was talking after the ministry's report -- initiated by the right-wing populist Danish People's Party (DPP) -- came to the conclusion that by tightening immigration laws, Denmark has saved €6.7 billion ($10 billion) over the last 10 years, money which otherwise would supposedly have been spent on social benefits or housing.

Interesting to know whether the DPP's influence had an effect on the outcome of the report. This report doesn't say anything new though, it simply says if Denmark allowed lots of poor, unskilled migrants in who'd live off the dole they'd cost the government money in welfare payments. This is obvious. The UK doesn't have such a policy for non-EU migrants, in fact there's a strict points based system in place. There's also lots of evidence indicating this policy has a positive effect on the economy, different and more important to government expenditure. In the UK for example, a lot of small businesses are owned by migrants and a lot of industries are dependent on foreign labour.
I think the problem at the moment is immigration has always been opposed by right wing groups who just "don't want the foreigners/non whites coming in!", but immigration in this country is becoming a problem, but no central party is willing to address it because they are scared of being labelled racist.

In the 50's and 60's the UK needed immigrant workers, many of whom have settled well , I don't think the case is the same now.
Reply 13
Original post by Aj12

Not really, there is nothing to stop the ones here inviting their extended families or marrying their children to close family friends for a fee, you have to be rather naive to believe it doesn't happen especially with the south asians.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think the problem at the moment is immigration has always been opposed by right wing groups who just "don't want the foreigners/non whites coming in!", but immigration in this country is becoming a problem, but no central party is willing to address it because they are scared of being labelled racist.

In the 50's and 60's the UK needed immigrant workers, many of whom have settled well , I don't think the case is the same now.

I'd agree with this exactly. Sadly any attempts made to address the problem are either labelled as racist or not taken seriously.
Reply 15
Original post by fwed1
We take in a lot of asylum seekers and their large families who then proceed to live of benefits for a long time as they are often unskilled and some speak no english.

Surely they could just make more money from working though?

And don't economic migrants outnumber asylum seekers in the UK by about 20 to 1 per annum (there are only 25,000 or so asylum seekers let in per annum).
Reply 16
I have no problem with immigration at all, the only problem I can see arising is over-population.

So, we'll chuck out Conservatives, The EDL and BNP and we'll be 'reet. :colone:

Thing about the immigration debate is that hardly any of the complaints towards immigrants are based on fact. It's based on tabloid headlines and anecdotes. If someone provided genuine evidence that migrants were harming the economy for example rather than just assuming it to be true then we might get somewhere.
Original post by Aj12

Most immigrants are not talented or have nationally important skills - they are largely unskilled third world labourers looking for jobs, and undercut British workers in the process. Migrants that we actually want already get through the system because, shock horror, they are useful to the economy.

We should severely crack down on illegal immigration at Dover, Folkestone and Ramsgate (where almost all of it occurs) and any asylum seeker who has passed through at least one other developed country should be refused entry and turned back to that country, as it is not our responsibility to house them. Any asylum seeker who does not have any proof to their case other than their word should be denied entry and turned back immediately, not let out and told to report back in a few weeks. Any asylum seeker who's application is being processed should be interned, and if denied they should be immediately deported. I am less sure about what action, if any, needs to be taken about legal immigration, but perhaps more should be done to limit legal immigration, although I generally don't have any beef with people who follow due process and are approved by the state as OK to live and work in the country. Sorry folks but the world's pretty **** and I refuse to accept that we should have an open door policy - it's absurd. The door is now so open and has been for so long that it's falling off it's hinges.

England in particular (Scotland, Wales and NI are about as populous as they were 50 or even 100 years ago) is overpopulated and parts of it's infrastructure are severely strained, let alone it's natural environment. We cannot afford to accommodate mass immigration.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CombineHarvester
Thing about the immigration debate is that hardly any of the complaints towards immigrants are based on fact. It's based on tabloid headlines and anecdotes. If someone provided genuine evidence that migrants were harming the economy for example rather than just assuming it to be true then we might get somewhere.
I don't think it is harming the economy but I do think it is harming socially. I don't think there is enough being done to ensure you don't end up with very insular communities, which are very common in London and other suburban areas. I think more emphasis should be placed on integration and eduction of new immigrants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending