News Coverage of Technology Watch

Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It's been bugging me for some time. The BBC, among many other news organisations, have a sycophantic obsession with Facebook and in particular Google. I don't suppose any of you have read the dot.Maggie blog at the BBC? Maggie, obviously her name, is the BBC's lead 'Silicon Valley' journalist and frankly, she's not very good at her job. 4 of her last 6 blogs have been on Facebook and if it's not about that, it's some other disgustingly huge and profitable company like Apple or Microsoft (literally).

Does it irritate anyone else? With Silicon Valley and other Tech-hotspots bursting to the RIM (like my pun there?) with R&D and all she can blog about is the same old people? What kind of journalist is she? If you ask me, tech geeks like you and I, probably know before she's had a chance to bring up WordPress that Google/Apple have a new product, just posted another set of disgustingly profitable quarter results and that Facebook have yet more venture capital making it worth the debt of the UK.

Anyway, with that rant over, can anyone recommend Tech blogs or news websites that don't contain idiots? I've come accross The Next Web and Tech Crunch recently and I'm more than impressed.

...though, don't get me wrong, feel free to rant here about the poor coverage of technology
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hedger)
It's been bugging me for some time. The BBC, among many other news organisations, have a sycophantic obsession with Facebook and in particular Google. I don't suppose any of you have read the dot.Maggie blog at the BBC? Maggie, obviously her name, is the BBC's lead 'Silicon Valley' journalist and frankly, she's not very good at her job. 4 of her last 6 blogs have been on Facebook and if it's not about that, it's some other disgustingly huge and profitable company like Apple or Microsoft (literally).

Does it irritate anyone else? With Silicon Valley and other Tech-hotspots bursting to the RIM (like my pun there?) with R&D and all she can blog about is the same old people? What kind of journalist is she? If you ask me, tech geeks like you and I, probably know before she's had a chance to bring up WordPress that Google/Apple have a new product, just posted another set of disgustingly profitable quarter results and that Facebook have yet more venture capital making it worth the debt of the UK.

Anyway, with that rant over, can anyone recommend Tech blogs or news websites that don't contain idiots? I've come accross The Next Web and Tech Crunch recently and I'm more than impressed.

...though, don't get me wrong, feel free to rant here about the poor coverage of technology
It really hacks me off, actually. I tend not to read much of the BBC's tech coverage - I find it to be very lightweight and very focused around, like you say, big corps. It particularly makes me cross when Shiels or Cellan-****ing-Jones start fapping over Apple and Facebook. Very tiresome.

I tend to read The Register or The Inquirer, personally.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
It really hacks me off, actually. I tend not to read much of the BBC's tech coverage - I find it to be very lightweight and very focused around, like you say, big corps. It particularly makes me cross when Shiels or Cellan-****ing-Jones start fapping over Apple and Facebook. Very tiresome.

I tend to read The Register or The Inquirer, personally.
I've seen friends read the Register but never given it a go. It's on the read list now :beer:

When you consider the wealth of the BBC and how renowned the organisation is, it's almost pathetic how light-weight, uninformed and simplistic it all is. But you can't specifically blame them (despite Jones and Maggie :rolleyes:) as it's the entire media. You ever checked out the tech magazines in a supermarket? I was in Sainsbury's the other day and found headlines like: "10 Things You Didn't Know About Chrome!" and the ultimate "5 Ways To Make Your PC Faster". Christ almighty. What is happening. I know the general population may not be interested or even understand a lot of tech jargon, but it's almost embarrassing.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hedger)
I've seen friends read the Register but never given it a go. It's on the read list now :beer:

When you consider the wealth of the BBC and how renowned the organisation is, it's almost pathetic how light-weight, uninformed and simplistic it all is. But you can't specifically blame them (despite Jones and Maggie :rolleyes:) as it's the entire media. You ever checked out the tech magazines in a supermarket? I was in Sainsbury's the other day and found headlines like: "10 Things You Didn't Know About Chrome!" and the ultimate "5 Ways To Make Your PC Faster". Christ almighty. What is happening. I know the general population may not be interested or even understand a lot of tech jargon, but it's almost embarrassing.
Piss-weak springs to mind. I much prefer the gritty tech press.
ANARCHY__
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Piss-weak springs to mind. I much prefer the gritty tech press.
These are the 'topical' posts on her blog:

* Bucking the e-book trend(7)
* Obama and Zuck on jobs, education, health and fashion(17)
* The anti-Facebook(44)
* Supreme Court showdown for Microsoft and patent law(23)
* President Obama drops in on Facebook(1)
* Facebook and King Coal(6)
* Steve Jobs in 'tell all' book(5)
* Facebook ownership saga goes on (5)
* Making that Ahhha moment pay(9)
* All change for Google top brass(1)

As you can see, a lot of Apple and Facebook. I often wonder if these guys just get given a new toy to play with each week, like you would with a 5 year old, and are expected to right a (childish) report on why it's 'cool'.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ANARCHY__)
These are the 'topical' posts on her blog:

* Bucking the e-book trend(7)
* Obama and Zuck on jobs, education, health and fashion(17)
* The anti-Facebook(44)
* Supreme Court showdown for Microsoft and patent law(23)
* President Obama drops in on Facebook(1)
* Facebook and King Coal(6)
* Steve Jobs in 'tell all' book(5)
* Facebook ownership saga goes on (5)
* Making that Ahhha moment pay(9)
* All change for Google top brass(1)

As you can see, a lot of Apple and Facebook. I often wonder if these guys just get given a new toy to play with each week, like you would with a 5 year old, and are expected to right a (childish) report on why it's 'cool'.
Of course they do. These corporations - particularly Apple, manage their PR by manipulating the media, giving closer access to journalists that worship at the Church of Jobs and preach about it in their blogs/publications, and cut access to those that speak out against it.
ANARCHY__
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course they do. These corporations - particularly Apple, manage their PR by manipulating the media, giving closer access to journalists that worship at the Church of Jobs and preach about it in their blogs/publications, and cut access to those that speak out against it.
It's a shame this is the case to be honest. One thing I have hope for is Chromium OS and Google Chrome OS. Because although Linux is way too spread out and Apple/Windows are, in my view, too closed source, Google functions as a company and an open source project. That's a lot better in my view. As a company, you're more likely to attract the necessary companies to port products over to your software and as an open source project, there's also the freer, developer aspect which can thrive. What do you think?
Young Spade
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ars Technica
BGR
Engadget
Gizmodo
GigaOM
GSM Arena
Into Mobile
PC Magazine
Slashgear
This is my next
Wired
The Register (UK)

Those are just a few that I try and visit on a daily basis. I'm somewhat of a nerd
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
/r/technology
Kenny_uk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd been thinking exactly the same thing myself a few weeks back. it drives me mad, they tend to update it about twice a week at most. where as sites as Engadget, CNET & CNETUK do quite well.
maturestudy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What do you expect from the mainstream, lowest common denominator, humanities educated media. It's not just technology reporting the quality of science journalism in general is very low and I don't think the BBC employs anyone that knows how to read beyond the abstract of an academic paper.

I heartily recommend Dr Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science (and website of the same name).

Other sites I check for tech news:
Slashdot
Tom's Hardware
TechCrunch
The Register
Life Hacker
Jmzie-Coupe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I read the Technology section of Google News. Does the job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads