Confused about postgrad Forensic Psychology. Watch

MoonShadowWolf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I'm very confused at the moment and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I am currently doing an undergrad in psychology n what I really wantto do afterward is go into forensic psychology. I understand that you can either undertake a doctorate in forensic psychology, or do an MSc the 2 years as a trainee.
But what I don't understand is how thefunding for this works. The HMP website says they willprovide funding to trainee's. Does this mean if you undertake a a doctorate they will pay the fees? And how much funding is available? Also, if I were to do an MSc the 2 years supervised practice, then how common are the trainee positions as I would have to find one myself? Basically which is the best/ cheaper/ more likely to reach a job route?

Thankyou
MoonShadowWolf
Rep:
?
Also, doing a part-time MSC, what are the chances Icould get a job to fund this while studying?
*Elizabeth*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey

For a career in forensic psychology, you will need to complete the following options. This is my understanding- check with the bps website!!

Option 1- university route

a) finish your undergraduate psychology degree- ensure its BPS accredited. Make sure you get a 1st or 2.1
b) complete an MSc in Forensic Psychology- ensure its BPS accredited or fulfils Stage 1 in Forensic Psychology. Obtain at least a Merit
c) complete the 3 year doctorate in forensic psychology (Stage 2 in Forensic Psychology) -ie uni of birmingham. Complete all modules in order to become a chartered forensic psychologist.

OR

Option 2- supervision route/ BPS route

a) finish your undergraduate psychology degree- ensure its BPS accredited. Make sure you get a 1st or 2.1
b) complete an MSc in Forensic Psuchology- ensure its BPS accredited or fulfils Stage 1 in Forensic Psychology. Alternatively, I think there's a BPS exam for Stage 1 in Forensic Psychology. Obtain at least a Merit
c) obtain a forensic psychology related job, practice as a trainee forensic psychologist. Ensure your supervised by a chartered foresic psychologist. Develop a portfilio of compentices outlined by the BPS. Submit your portfilio directly to the BPS. The BPS grants chartership based on portfilio.

My understanding is the above is completely self funded. If they offered any funding support then I suspect it will be for option 2, stage c. I don't know how much they offer, but given budget cuts etc etc, I suspect it's probably rather minimal If they offer funding opportunities- it will probably be VERY competitive!

In my experience, forensic psychology posts are very few and far between- but it is possible! I know someone working in london who was a trainee in forensic pschology, but he left as he recently obtained a place on the doctorate in clinical psychology at UCL. A friend of a friend is currently completing the doctorate in forensic psychology. I think few people enter the supervised route due to a lack of chartered forensic psychologists depending on the regional locality.

After the MSc, the fees for the forensic doctorate are over 5,000 per year. Its probably cheaper via the job route.

I'm looking at gaining my Stage 2 in Health Psychology by completing the Doctorate in Health Psychology. I prefer the uni route rather than the more unpredictable and less defined supervision route.

Hope this helps
*Elizabeth*
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MoonShadowWolf)
Also, doing a part-time MSC, what are the chances Icould get a job to fund this while studying?
I obtained a full time psychology post alongside my first MSc (which was part time)

MoonShadowWolf
Rep:
?
Do you need to pay any sort of fees to complete the stage 2 part?
*Elizabeth*
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MoonShadowWolf)
Do you need to pay any sort of fees to complete the stage 2 part?
For the supervision route? I think it depends. I'm not so sure if you have to pay to submit work to the BPS for stage 2 in forensic.

If you could obtain a forensic psychology job AND receive supervision from a chartered forensic psychologist, in theory you could avoid the hefty fees via the university route.

For the university route, depending on universities, yes you will need to pay fees (up front in some cases).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (354)
37.5%
No - but I will (74)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise