UCL engineering with business financing-good? Watch

lim.cy
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, would like to hear from you guys how good/bad this course actually is. im deciding whether should i firm this offer or an offer for mechanical engineering in Bristol. So far, heard that mechanical engineering in UCL isn't that great, but how about this course in particular?

Thanks!
Panda Vinnie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UCL's Mech eng course isn't their best or all that competitive either.

However this particular course is beginning to gain quite the reputation, it's the only course of its kind at the top unis that mixes engineering with finance.

I know some really good applicants who got rejected for this course, seems quite popular amongst the scientists who are aspiring bankers.

I'm sure the fact that the business finance part of the degree is taught by LSE also adds to that appeal. You share a lot of the modules that LSE's accounting & finance/economics students are doing.
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For all it's reputation (which is useful from a career perspective) the econ teaching for First Year EBFs is pretty dire. Though that's not so bad come exam time since it's basically A Level Econ with a few add ons. The Mech Eng department is not that highly regarded for good reason.
Freyr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i used to do this course... but then hated it so switch it to biology lol
I thought the LSE stuff was a REALLY good break from all the engineering stuff... but beware, you may have to spend all day around... i used to have lectures on monday, 10-11 then 2-3 and then tutorial from 6-7.... not very nice at all...
Now on to the engineering side....
Lectures roughly from 9-5 (shouldn't be any different from any other engineering course though....) problem is that you're stuck in one lecture room (for the first year at least)... its been 2 years since i did it, but i doubt they've changed it (seeing as that lecture room is only used by the mechanical engineers, and mechanical engineers never share lectures with people from any other course)
nice range of modules... electronics (fairly easy to grasp), computing (initially fortran and then you do Matlab, both not too difficult once you get the hang of it), engineering drawing/design (if you did graphics, GCSE or A level, should be EASY as hell), mechanics (hated, hated, hated this modules along with the modeling analysis! hate maths!), modeling and analysis (similar to pure maths), materials (hmmm kinda like.... chemisty...ish... in regards to the bonding etc. in materials) and of course the LSE module (Economics A for first year- pretty easy, reccomended textbook is nice and easy to understand, tutorials help also)

I'm not sure if they have finally gotten their own workshop, but when i did it, i had to go all the way to Redhill (surrey) for a lab (split into 2 sessions)

Personally i hated it... but thats probably cause i never really did enjoy maths, but got sucked into it by the parents
Crashwin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hold up.... are the business finanace parts still taught by LSE/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise