C4 Vectors Question help. Watch

jmhoneywood1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This is probably a really simple question but I just can't get it! Its taken from the June 2008 C4 paper, Q4:

Relative to an origin, O, the points A and B have position vectors 3i+2j+3K and i+3j+4k respectively
i) Find a vector equation for the line passing through A and B.
ii) Find the position vector of the point P on AB such that OP is perpendicular to AB.

I'm really struggling with part (ii) and could do with some help if that's ok. Thank you
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmhoneywood1)
Try searching TSR for "3i+2j+3K and i+3j+4k "; this question has popped up several times.
Freakonomics123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any point on the line has position vector \overrightarrow{OP} = \begin{pmatrix} 3-2t \ 2+t \ 3+t \end{pmatrix} . You've worked out that \overrightarrow{AB} = \begin{pmatrix}-2 \ 1 \ 1 \end{pmatrix}, so you need to find such that \overrightarrow{OP} \cdot \overrightarrow{AB} = 0.
jmhoneywood1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Freakonomics123)
Any point on the line has position vector \overrightarrow{OP} = \begin{pmatrix} 3-2t \ 2+t \ 3+t \end{pmatrix} . You've worked out that \overrightarrow{AB} = \begin{pmatrix}-2 \ 1 \ 1 \end{pmatrix}, so you need to find such that \overrightarrow{OP} \cdot \overrightarrow{AB} = 0.
Ah, thank you, that helps me solve the rest of the question. But I was just wondering (if you don't mind) how you know that OP=(3-2t)/(2-t)/(3-t) ? thank you again.
The Bagel Guy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wouldn't you just find an equation where OP.AB = 0 (using the dot product)
You know the equation will be in the order of ax + by + cz (as it passes through the origin)
And that it will intersect AB for which you have the equation

Might not have done a terrific job of explaining it and I haven't got a pen and paper to actually do it right now
Freakonomics123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmhoneywood1)
Ah, thank you, that helps me solve the rest of the question. But I was just wondering (if you don't mind) how you know that OP=(3-2t)/(2-t)/(3-t) ? thank you again.
because =(3-2t)/(2-t)/(3-t) is a point on the vector (the perpendicular point) and the direction vector relative to the origin will be this value.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads