Apple warranty etc Watch

Rob16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey

I'm thinking of getting a MBP for uni over the summer (please don't turn this into a apple vs windows thread..) and I was looking at the upgrades which are obviously way overpriced...

I'm happy enough with upgrading things myself, but I was wondering what could be changed without voiding the warranty. Or if I was to say, swap out the HDD for an SSD and then something went wrong, would I still be covered with applecare/warranty?

Thanks
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rob16)
Hey

I'm thinking of getting a MBP for uni over the summer (please don't turn this into a apple vs windows thread..) and I was looking at the upgrades which are obviously way overpriced...

I'm happy enough with upgrading things myself, but I was wondering what could be changed without voiding the warranty. Or if I was to say, swap out the HDD for an SSD and then something went wrong, would I still be covered with applecare/warranty?

Thanks
You can switch out RAM and hard drives without voiding the warranty, but obviously the warranty won't cover these new parts or any faults that arise as a result of those parts. For example if your motherboard were to fail, they wouldn't deny you the repair if you weren't using the stock RAM. However if damage were to occur because of the new HDD malfunctioning, they most likely wouldn't cover it.
Rob16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
You can switch out RAM and hard drives without voiding the warranty, but obviously the warranty won't cover these new parts or any faults that arise as a result of those parts. For example if your motherboard were to fail, they wouldn't deny you the repair if you weren't using the stock RAM. However if damage were to occur because of the new HDD malfunctioning, they most likely wouldn't cover it.
Ahh right, so would you say its relatively safe to upgrade RAM and HDD then? Are there many damages that are likely to occur from that?

Thanks for the post anyway, +rep (if I have any )
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rob16)
Ahh right, so would you say its relatively safe to upgrade RAM and HDD then? Are there many damages that are likely to occur from that?

Thanks for the post anyway, +rep (if I have any )
So long as you know what you're doing (Apple even provide instructions on how to swap both components on their website =P), and buy compatible, decent quality components, there's virtually no risk of causing damage. However there's always a risk of freak malfunctions, as there is with any component. But my godfather has made numerous upgrades to his mac over the years without ever having issues arise from the swaps. Crucial.com are highly regarded as one of the best places to buy RAM for your macs, so check them out. They sell SSDs too, although I haven't looked into them much and there may be better places to buy them [=

I'd recommend joining the macrumours forums for when you start looking for upgrades, as you'd guess from the name it's full of Mac nuts, and they have a fair few Apple employees and technicians hanging around a lot of the time too who can advise you on the best course of action to take (:
Seble
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
So long as you know what you're doing (Apple even provide instructions on how to swap both components on their website =P), and buy compatible, decent quality components, there's virtually no risk of causing damage. However there's always a risk of freak malfunctions, as there is with any component. But my godfather has made numerous upgrades to his mac over the years without ever having issues arise from the swaps. Crucial.com are highly regarded as one of the best places to buy RAM for your macs, so check them out. They sell SSDs too, although I haven't looked into them much and there may be better places to buy them [=

I'd recommend joining the macrumours forums for when you start looking for upgrades, as you'd guess from the name it's full of Mac nuts, and they have a fair few Apple employees and technicians hanging around a lot of the time too who can advise you on the best course of action to take (:
Macrumors is a fanboy's heaven.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Seble)
Macrumors is a fanboy's heaven.
Yep, but as arguably the most popular apple-oriented forum on the internet it makes a good place to go for apple-oriented tech advice/support.
Rob16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)

Thanks a lot
Seble
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Yep, but as arguably the most popular apple-oriented forum on the internet it makes a good place to go for apple-oriented tech advice/support.
Oh I'm not saying thats a problem, Its a great site, and I use it regularly, its good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads