Which is more important to you, course or reputation? Watch

yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have to choose between Leeds and Nottingham. Leeds has got the better course in my opinion. But Nottingham has a slightly better reputation? Would a Nottingham degree be better for graduate prospects in comparison to Leeds?

English and French btw
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yabbayabba)
I have to choose between Leeds and Nottingham. Leeds has got the better course in my opinion. But Nottingham has a slightly better reputation? Would a Nottingham degree be better for graduate prospects in comparison to Leeds?

English and French btw
Tbh I'd consider Leeds & Nottingham to be of equal standing, there is hardly anything between them. But I'd always go for the course I liked best. I've declined Birmingham to go to UEA with the main reason being I prefer UEA's course.
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Tbh I'd consider Leeds & Nottingham to be of equal standing, there is hardly anything between them. But I'd always go for the course I liked best. I've declined Birmingham to go to UEA with the main reason being I prefer UEA's course.
Thanks for your input
SchadenfreudeDude
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The whole 'reputation' thing is entirely subjective. I've spoken to people and employers that have never even heard of half the universities in the top 50. (Which is quite worrying, I think.)

So long as both courses are ranked in the top half, I'd say go with what you're most comfortable with.
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say Leeds' reputation is on par with Nottingham's anyway so if you prefer the course at Leeds, go for leeds!
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definately the course, its the reason you're going to uni after all.
Caro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Reputation.

Leeds and Notts are on an equal standing though, so pick the course you prefer.
fitzgerald66
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can also look at the town because you will live there for 3 or 4 years. Also I do think reputation is important since employment is largely global now. You need a uni that is more well known not just in the UK but in the world, and Nottingham (though has lower ranking than it used to) has a global reputation. One of China's best professors is its president, and they have campuses in China, malaysia. Recently Shanghai's counsel has asked nottingham to create a new campus in Shanghai. They didn't ask other UK universities to do that.

I am still for that substance is better than brand. But the truth is you actually don't know how the course will be for you. But leeds does have a higher ranking though only marginally. I think you might already have an idea where you see yourself studying already, but is only confused by factors that are important to other people?
magnum.opus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll forget the reputation quickly once you're there, so go for the course.
Hazular
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Deffo the course. Reputation of UCL is amazing but I didn't like it there, so I went with somewhere less prestigious (but equally good, imo)- UEA
Elbonian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by magnum.opus)
You'll forget the reputation quickly once you're there, so go for the course.
Depends.. for me reputation is a driving factor, and it's constantly at the back of my mind.

OP between the two go for course, because as others have said there isn't a difference between Leeds and Nottingham.
magnum.opus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elbonian)
Depends.. for me reputation is a driving factor, and it's constantly at the back of my mind.

OP between the two go for course, because as others have said there isn't a difference between Leeds and Nottingham.
I suppose you're right: going to a school with a good reputation can motivate you to perform well. But I think enjoying the course is more important because, even if you're at a reputable school, an enjoyable course would lead a person (or at least lead me) to perform poorly.
Elbonian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by magnum.opus)
I suppose you're right: going to a school with a good reputation can motivate you to perform well. But I think enjoying the course is more important because, even if you're at a reputable school, an enjoyable course would lead a person (or at least lead me) to perform poorly.
For me it has the opposite effect. I feel that I have potential to be at a top University. I was really idle in secondary school, so it's really driven me to do well for my undergraduate degree. Don't get me wrong though, I'm enjoying University, have made some great friends but I feel I can challenge myself more by going to a top university for postgraduate studies.

You are right though. Course is important because you almost certainly won't perform optimally if you're doing a course that you don't enjoy.
shereez234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say go for the course.
Cicerao
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let's see.

3 years of disinterest for the sake of a very slim chance that my employer will care I went to a university a couple of spaces up the subjective "rankings"
OR
getting the most enjoyment and personal benefit out of my course and likely doing better as a result.

Hmm, that's a toughie. :beard:

(I hear Cardiff is considered quite good here, I also had an offer for there which I declined. Much better that I go to the uni I prefer and do the course I prefer than listen to a bunch kids who have no experience as employers anyway, lol.)
DopplerEffect
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go for the course
Kelz_26
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely the course.
The Premier
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Course .
If after not getting the grades to Uni some random man asks if I want to do medicine in his course, I'd accept it so long as I got a degree at the end of it.
Fusilero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Reputation, by far. The course is completely irrelevant in choosing a Uni. :holmes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise