Going to Uni abroad? Watch

Lottii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know a lot of people say that if you don't get into any of the UK vet schools, a common recommendation is to try the ones abroad which do degrees recognized by RCVS (so you don't have to do the exam). From what I have found, these countries have uni's which do that;

Qualifications currently recognised are listed below:

•Degrees awarded by the six veterinary schools in the United Kingdom
•European Union qualifications listed in the Directive 2005/36/EC: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,
•Accession Countries: Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Romania, Bulgaria
•Foreign and Commonwealth qualifications recognised by RCVS Council which are also shown to meet the minimum EU training requirements for practice only within the United Kingdom, which currently are: Australia, New Zealand , South Africa , USA and Canada
In the veterinary profession, would British people who qualified abroad be seen as not as good (obviously unfairly!) in any way, or struggle more to get jobs in the UK? Would you recommend applying to overseas uni's first off, or only after not getting a place at any UK uni's? Also, does anyone know where I could find information which says specific uni's which allow you to work straight off in the UK?

Thank you!
v2k91
Badges: 4
Report 7 years ago
have a look at the UVM thread.
there are vet schools in Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Hungary.
For Czech and Poland, You have to go through the http://www.ims-medstudy.com/ The others just apply straight to the universities directly.
Their programmes are taught in English.
Lottii
Rep:
?
Thank you

Also, is there any hope of getting a student loan from England or the country where the university is as an international student?
v2k91
Report 7 years ago
From what I have read, student loan is not possible. However, you can to get bank loan.
I think most people get supported from their families so it all depend very much on your family.
About the question on British people who qualified abroad will it be a disadvantage all depends on the employers.
Where I was doing my work experience, the vet actually graduated from Slovakia.
If you have a few questions, try posting on the UVM thread, I am sure HannahUVM and Tigercallie will be able to answer your questions more. They are very nice people.
tigercallie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by v2k91)
From what I have read, student loan is not possible. However, you can to get bank loan.
I think most people get supported from their families so it all depend very much on your family.
About the question on British people who qualified abroad will it be a disadvantage all depends on the employers.
Where I was doing my work experience, the vet actually graduated from Slovakia.
If you have a few questions, try posting on the UVM thread, I am sure HannahUVM and Tigercallie will be able to answer your questions more. They are very nice people.
Shucks Yeh i think the UVM thread on here is the best one going.

There is another one somewhere about studying abroad and that has a list of the places. However, as a rule, if its in the EU, then its recognised by RCVS. I think everything else you've asked is answered pretty comprehensively in the UVM Kosice thread. Unfortunately there isnt too much info on the other vet schools in europe. There are some people on here who go to school in romania though. Even though the UVM thread is called UVM i think we discuss a lot of the vet schools on it :-)
v2k91
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tigercallie)
Shucks Yeh i think the UVM thread on here is the best one going.

There is another one somewhere about studying abroad and that has a list of the places. However, as a rule, if its in the EU, then its recognised by RCVS. I think everything else you've asked is answered pretty comprehensively in the UVM Kosice thread. Unfortunately there isnt too much info on the other vet schools in europe. There are some people on here who go to school in romania though. Even though the UVM thread is called UVM i think we discuss a lot of the vet schools on it :-)
Just read today that there are 40 applicants applying UVM this year...wow....
40 people from UK applying just for the 4 year programme or together with the 6 year programme?
....is probably gona get even harder next year.....
tigercallie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by v2k91)
Just read today that there are 40 applicants applying UVM this year...wow....
40 people from UK applying just for the 4 year programme or together with the 6 year programme?
....is probably gona get even harder next year.....
i think it must be the 4 and 6 year numbers combined. But yeh, i think they will start refusing people because if thats just the british people (and british are usually one of the smallest groups of nationalities) then goodness knows how many applications they've had in total. Having small classes is one of the biggest plusses about UVM so i'd hate to see that change, but at the same time its such a shame if good vets don't get in :-s
clair0511
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tigercallie)
There is another one somewhere about studying abroad and that has a list of the places. However, as a rule, if its in the EU, then its recognised by RCVS.
This is true, but I think you also have to be an EU citizen to register as an MRCVS....just in case the OP isn't!

(PS. OP: Forget Austria and Germany as all courses are in German, I would imagine all French vet schools only have courses in French too )

I know Brits who have graduated from Vienna and got jobs in the UK with no problem - although admittedly our course is in German so wouldn't be seen as an "easy option" (not that any vet course is!!)
Lottii
Rep:
?
Okay thanks guys I just sat and read the UVM post in it's entirety

I'm in love with the place now

Thanks Clair, German is the only foreign language I know, I'm proficient conversationally, but I would hate to try and study in German!
TheBiscuit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't forget the UCD in Dublin, English speaking course and country. I think if you're applying first time you need an offer from a UK vet school though, and there are limited places as they are heavily oversubscribed. As are all the vet schools in English speaking countries, afaik. USA, Oz and NZ are all extremely expensive for tuition too. As will be England from next year. Ireland will still have 1.5k euro tuition for the next few years at least. Then you've got the Central European ones aforementioned (6 year course) of which I think Kosice is the cheapest tuition.

So you should apply to UK ones even if it's just to try to get into UCD if you like it there. And interview practice etc - though I think I had my UVM interview already, and didn't really get chance to say anything while UCD interviews are non-existent.

And yeah I think the EU rule is if it's accredited by the country it's in it's valid in the rest of the EU too. So no problem with any mentioned so far.
Tarnia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am originally from Canada, so doing what you're considering backwards!

Some of my profs are British and studied in the US/Canada and it doesn't seem to have hurt their careers any. They joke about those of us that came here because we couldn't get in at home-well they couldn't get in here so went to North America!

I have not encountered any negative bias when I have done placements in Canada over the fact that my degree is being gained over here. On the contrary, vets are always interested to hear how things are taught here and we usually end up having a discussion comparing the different systems. Obviously I don't actually have my degree and am not trying to get a permanent job yet, so perhaps that will change, but so far so good.

One thing I have been told however by a few vets is that those whom have had 'work experience' students from the UK before find them to have more experience than native students. I think this is likely due to the EMS program in the UK, which doesn't exist in Canada/the US. Students often work over their summer break, and often at a clinic, but that is at their discretion. However I don't have a basis for comparison of a student trained in North America doing work experience here, and what the UK vets think of their skills. I do think there are strengths of both programs.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Sjjac1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am in the first year of the DVM at Melbourne University this year. It's brilliant- my mind has been blown and I can't imagine doing this course anywhere else.

It's an amazing course, in ENGLISH. And as far as i know I will be able to work in the UK without question.

I believe the fees for Australia are comparable with the USA fees, maybe cheaper. There are around 40 international students in my class of 120, so you're odds are good.

Any questions, just ask me.
wittsend90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I study at Faculty of Veterinary Science in Budapest!
It is a bit more expensive than Kosice I must admit, but I mainly chose there because my local vet is a graduate of Budapest so I naturally swayed towards there as I hadn't even heard of Kosice..
As for jobs, I think the tide is starting to turn as people become more aware of the possibility of studying overseas. I know that all the Irish graduates of last years class are employed, either in Ireland itself or the UK.
I love studying in Budapest, it's a great city and plenty to do. It is tough work but I'm definite it will be worth it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.84%
No - but I will (110)
7.78%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.79%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed