Can't see what's been done in this step. (fourier cosine transform) Watch

Preeka
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The question is, "Evaluate the fourier cosine transforms for the functions f and g defined on R by  f(x) = e^-^a^x cos(ax)     g(x) =e^-^a^xsin(ax)

I was looking at the solution sheet and get it until this step:

\sqrt(\frac{2}{\pi}) \int_{0}^{\infty} e^-^a^x^(^1^-^i^) cos(sx) dx = \sqrt(\frac{2}{\pi})(\frac{a(1 - i)}{a^2(1-i)^2 + s^2}

I thought it was integration by parts to evaluate the integral except I got about halfway and it looked like the messiest thing ever and it didn't seem like I'd get the same result as written in the solutions. I kind of don't want to integrate the whole thing by parts only to realise there's a better way to do it :p: or atleast a trick that makes it simpler. Plus I feel like I'd have to integration by parts multiple times no matter which way round I put my  u and  \frac{dv}{dx}. I've even tried putting the cos into exponential form, multiplied it all out and tried integrating like that but I don't think I completely get rid off all exponentials that way. Although, I did that in a rush so I'm going to re-check that whilst I wait for a reply. Am I completely overlooking something? :confused:

EDIT: I subbed in 1 instead of 0 by accident after converting cos into exponentials. I think it should work now, probably. Oops.
steve10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, it's integration by parts. Comes out in two lines, and a bit.

Let k = a(1 - i) to simplify things. Then let u = e^(-kx) and dv/dx = cos(sx)

No need to put cos into exponential form.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads