Weight Loss Watch

Abi_18
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically, I'd like to know the best way to lose weight healthily. I'm a girl, and I'm 17.

I've wanted to lose weight for a few years now..nothing crazy..no anorexia type thing..I just want to lose a bit of weight because I think I will feel and look better
Also last October I was diagnosed with PCOS and I've been reading up about it and apparently losing some weight will help reduce the symptoms.

I don't consider myself to be fat..I would describe myself as "big". I think I'm 5"5 or so, and I weigh about 68kg. I have a really big bum tho I go to the gym, but only once a week for around 2 hours - burning about 450 calories on average. According to my BMI I am overweight..but I couldn't care less lol. I just wanna feel good inside, and look good, and perhaps treat my PCOS.

Oh and btw, I reallly like eating, I have no self-discipline when it comes to food

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.
Thaaaanks (:
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OP, run out of this section now and go to this thread...

All you'll get in this thread is people telling you not to lose weight and guys saying you look perfect the way you are etc etc... That's the place to go for contstructive advice...

And learn self control when it comes to food...
secret_geek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Eat less, exercise more
thesweatyfox
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Exersise (stuff like 4/5K runs twice or 3 times a week, swimming for an hour twice a week or cycling a few miles twice a week), cut down on junk food and drink plenty of water.
jjackson18624
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
eat less, exercise more is oversimplified IMO, there are a number of things that can go wrong as a result of this because often people have a tendency to take the cal deficit too far. A lot of people don't realize <1500 cal is considered a 'crash' diet (asin your gonna crash and burn :p:, usually).

Anyway, i'd eat when your hungry and listen to your cravings. Eat high protein because this will satisfy hunger '2 eggs a day keep the belly fat away', protein in EVERY meal. have soup or something once a day (liquified food keeps you full for longer). when your PMSing and feel like you could eat a horse theres evidence to suggest taking calcium suppliments helps. drink lots of milk when you fancy a choc bar and see if that does it. switch from milk chocolate to dark chocolate. eat wholegrain EVERYTHING: rice, bread, pasta & cous cous. drink a hella lot of water throughout the day. green tea- with lemon is nice.

and of course, exercise when you can.

do all this and the weight should drop off.
CameraGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
some of this may not be 100% relevent, it was a post i made in a similar thread, but thought it might help, it's a bit of an essay sorry. it's basically what i eat and what exercise i do to lose weight healthily (2 to 3 lbs a week, so a stone in 2 months or a bit less)

you need to burn more calories than you eat, so aim to go the gym as often as possible, if you can't, try and go for a run, or brisk walk, or cycle, during a revision break on days you don't go to the gym. i've lost a stone so far, and i just cycle and sometimes do cardio workout DVDs (e.g. biggest loser cardio max, which is on youtube in sections). cardio is best, as you will be burning more calories as your heart beats faster. the more you sweat the more you lose! as they say :P

this is what i tend to eat, average, per day, when i'm dieting, i.e. at the moment haha. i feel full pretty much all day, chew on chewing gum if i have cravings, and don't have huge portions. works a treat! (so i personally eat between 700 and 1000 calories a day, which some people will tell me is unhealthy, but if i'm not craving food, or hungry, and have all the food groups i need, and i'm happy then i don't care what people say haha!):

breakfast:
oat-so-simple sachet, with skimmed milk (less fat, doesnt affect the porridge taste) - 130 calories
or
muller fat-free yoghurt - 98 calories
or
2 weight watchers yoghurts - 98 calories
or
egg white omelette, or a couple of scrambled eggs. omelette usually with red onion

lunch
salad with lettuce, pepper, red onion, cucumber, light low fat vinaigrette dressing, and a small amount of freshly cooked chicken - 150 calories
and an apple or a pear or some grapes or strawberries. or a biscuit. - 50 calories
or
plain breadsticks, dipped in extra light philadelphia - 150/200 calories.
and a piece of fruit of a biscuit
or
a can of minestrone soup - 120 calories
and a couple of plain breadsticks (usually about 20 calories each)

dinner
can of soup - 120 to 200 calories, with breadsticks - extra 80 calories ish.
or
veggie burger, with a small amount of brown rice, and a small amount of ketchup (no bun) - 300-400 calories
or
half a weight watchers pizza with a small salad - 300 calories

snacks
i also allow myself one to two snacks a day, if i'm feeling hungry, of up to 100 calories each. things like muesli bars, or a small amount of chocolate, or a couple of custard creams, or an ice lolly.

exercise
i did/ do 1 hour to 1.5 hours of exercise a day, nearly every day. sometimes i don't have time around uni. i also cycle everywhere i go, on top of that.

when i get up in the morning, i try to do half an hour of cardio, before eating anything or starting the day. it's easy enough to get up half an hour earlier, and do it in your pyjamas or throw on some trackies before you jump in the shower

i then tend to go for a bike ride, with a range of hills/flat areas, for 45 minutes in the evening, sometimes less if i have time.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CameraGirl)
sstuff.

Basically your advice is to eat 700-1000 calories a day whilst doing extreme amounts of cardio?

It's a good way to lose weight. The weight will be largely muscle though which will be terribly bad for you in the long run and will make you look worse and make maintaining your weight harder in future...

If you wanna lose fat you gotta eat 500 below BMR and then if you want to do cardio on top then you can but it doesn't actually matter...
jjackson18624
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MHorman)
Basically your advice is to eat 700-1000 calories a day whilst doing extreme amounts of cardio?

It's a good way to lose weight. The weight will be largely muscle though which will be terribly bad for you in the long run and will make you look worse and make maintaining your weight harder in future...

If you wanna lose fat you gotta eat 500 below BMR and then if you want to do cardio on top then you can but it doesn't actually matter..

You forgot to mention if you burn calories exercising you need to make up for it by eating more...kinda important if your burning an extra 500 cal/day.
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MHorman)

If you wanna lose fat you gotta eat 500 below BMR and then if you want to do cardio on top then you can but it doesn't actually matter...
i admit 700 is a bit ridiculous, i rarely have that few, only sometimes if i'm not hungry, usually closer to 900 or 1000, maybe a bit over.

and i dont recommend extreme cardio, half an hour in the morning, a bit of a workout, might break into a bit of a sweat, but not too strenuous, and the cycle is relatively leisurely, with a couple of hils, and i enjoy it. i wouldnt recommend not eating if you're hungry, i always eat i i'm feeling hungry, if i need food i need food and i wont starve myself for the sake of counting calories :P

i just recommend watching calories, eating smaller portions than normal, cutting down on snacks or those extra sides you dont need, and doing as much exercise as you can, happily and healthily. if you're miserable then there's no point.

i admit i've also been a bit ill the past 8 months or so, and do sometimes have very much a loss of appetite so don't get as hungry as i normally would, and can't eat so much food as i get bad stomach pains. but even when i wasn't ill i could still eat under 1000 calories healthily and happily.

even when i'm not dieting i should think i very rarely make it to the recommended 2000 anyway, and thats when i think i'm eating a lot! haha

(edit: also i havent been burning muscle, i have more muscle, and it's definitely fat thats going haha, and also i stopped dieting for a month and pretty much ate more than i normally would because i was at home for the month holidays being cooked for....i didnt put on anything at all eating pudding most days and large portion dinners and larger than usual lunches :P)
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abi_18)
Oh and btw, I reallly like eating, I have no self-discipline when it comes to food

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.
Thaaaanks (:
THIS is your problem. Telling yourself you have no self discipline, believing it... you will get nowhere.

First step to losing weight is whole heartedly wanting to do it and BELIEVING that you can. taking responsibility and having some self control. there is no quick fix. you have to work at it, and in saying "I have no self discipline" you have essentially given up on yourself before you have started.

As far as a good diet to lose weight, I was on slimming world for just over a year and lost 2 and a half stone. It worked for me, but I had to start in the right mindset.
Abi_18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
THIS is your problem. Telling yourself you have no self discipline, believing it... you will get nowhere.

First step to losing weight is whole heartedly wanting to do it and BELIEVING that you can. taking responsibility and having some self control. there is no quick fix. you have to work at it, and in saying "I have no self discipline" you have essentially given up on yourself before you have started.
Mmm yeah that's really true, thanks for that advice. I guess I'll need to get in the right frame of mind before I can succeed.
Abi_18
Rep:
?
(Original post by CameraGirl)
some of this may not be 100% relevent, it was a post i made in a similar thread, but thought it might help, it's a bit of an essay sorry. it's basically what i eat and what exercise i do to lose weight healthily (2 to 3 lbs a week, so a stone in 2 months or a bit less)

you need to burn more calories than you eat, so aim to go the gym as often as possible, if you can't, try and go for a run, or brisk walk, or cycle, during a revision break on days you don't go to the gym. i've lost a stone so far, and i just cycle and sometimes do cardio workout DVDs (e.g. biggest loser cardio max, which is on youtube in sections). cardio is best, as you will be burning more calories as your heart beats faster. the more you sweat the more you lose! as they say :P

this is what i tend to eat, average, per day, when i'm dieting, i.e. at the moment haha. i feel full pretty much all day, chew on chewing gum if i have cravings, and don't have huge portions. works a treat! (so i personally eat between 700 and 1000 calories a day, which some people will tell me is unhealthy, but if i'm not craving food, or hungry, and have all the food groups i need, and i'm happy then i don't care what people say haha!):

breakfast:
oat-so-simple sachet, with skimmed milk (less fat, doesnt affect the porridge taste) - 130 calories
or
muller fat-free yoghurt - 98 calories
or
2 weight watchers yoghurts - 98 calories
or
egg white omelette, or a couple of scrambled eggs. omelette usually with red onion

lunch
salad with lettuce, pepper, red onion, cucumber, light low fat vinaigrette dressing, and a small amount of freshly cooked chicken - 150 calories
and an apple or a pear or some grapes or strawberries. or a biscuit. - 50 calories
or
plain breadsticks, dipped in extra light philadelphia - 150/200 calories.
and a piece of fruit of a biscuit
or
a can of minestrone soup - 120 calories
and a couple of plain breadsticks (usually about 20 calories each)

dinner
can of soup - 120 to 200 calories, with breadsticks - extra 80 calories ish.
or
veggie burger, with a small amount of brown rice, and a small amount of ketchup (no bun) - 300-400 calories
or
half a weight watchers pizza with a small salad - 300 calories

snacks
i also allow myself one to two snacks a day, if i'm feeling hungry, of up to 100 calories each. things like muesli bars, or a small amount of chocolate, or a couple of custard creams, or an ice lolly.

exercise
i did/ do 1 hour to 1.5 hours of exercise a day, nearly every day. sometimes i don't have time around uni. i also cycle everywhere i go, on top of that.

when i get up in the morning, i try to do half an hour of cardio, before eating anything or starting the day. it's easy enough to get up half an hour earlier, and do it in your pyjamas or throw on some trackies before you jump in the shower

i then tend to go for a bike ride, with a range of hills/flat areas, for 45 minutes in the evening, sometimes less if i have time.

It's definitely all relevant, thanks so much. I might take a few tips from that. I think I should exercise a lot more than I currently do, for starters.
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abi_18)
It's definitely all relevant, thanks so much. I might take a few tips from that. I think I should exercise a lot more than I currently do, for starters.
well exercise can't reallydo any harm, so as much as possible isbest exam time atm so i find some fresh airand exercise helps and i'm not so tiredwhen i go back to revision, as long as i dont work too hardhaha.

bestif you enjoy the exercise too i cycle because there are nice places to cycle near me, if you can swim (cant remember if it was you or another person i repliedto who couldnt haha) then thats fun too, or jogging, all of them are pretty cheap tooif you dont go to the gym haha

(also i weigh roughly the same as you and am 5'4'' so thought it might be relevent haha, since how many calories you burn depends on your height and weight )
Abi_18
Rep:
?
Yeaaah that's really true. Maybe I should start cycling...haven't ridden a bike in YEARS..as the bike is locked in the shed probably half broken :/ lol. Then again, alll of my area is hilly..so I wouldn't find cycling fun!
But yeaah I can swim, I just always avoid swimming because I get really self concious about what I look like in a swimming costume might have to wear T-Shirt and some shorts perhaps.
Yeah it does depend on height and weight. I don't really care what the scales tell me, as long as I look in the mirror and am happy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.79%
No - but I will (87)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.73%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (540)
47.79%

Watched Threads