Do you finish a book you don't like? Watch

magnum.opus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm just curious what you all do when you're bored with a book. This seems to be happening a lot to me lately, and I'm not sure if I should just keep on dropping books when I get half-way done with them? I haven't read in a couple days because the two books I'm reading just aren't interesting anymore ("Slammerkin" and "Please Look After Mom"). Any ideas?
Oswald Mosley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I usually finish it off. One exception being 'To Kill A Mockingbird' which I was reading at leisure, until I got to a point just over halfway and found that every page was a chore to get through. I eventually stopped reading, and labeled it the most boring novel I've ever read (or half-read, whatever).
magnum.opus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oswald Mosley)
I usually finish it off. One exception being 'To Kill A Mockingbird' which I was reading at leisure, until I got to a point just over halfway and found that every page was a chore to get through. I eventually stopped reading, and labeled it the most boring novel I've ever read (or half-read, whatever).
Darn, I think you're right- I better finish the books I started... *sigh* Why, oh why, did I have to pick up "Crime and Punishment" too :nope: Time to go read :coma:

P.S. "To Kill A Mockingbird" wasn't bad at all! (If you want to read a really boring book, you'll take a look at "Ender's Game") :lol:
Firelight670
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I tend to finish them, don't like leaving books unfinished unless they are truly awful.
Sheens
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't finish 'to kill a mocking bird' either. I've been trying to read the classics that I feel I should have read by now but I'm struggling to finish a lot of them. I think I need to start to read the books I'm genuinely interested in from now on.
magnum.opus
Rep:
?
Good advise guys- I read a little further into "Slammerkin" and it's far my interesting now :yep: I'm going to go knock out a few more pages before bed. Night all!
blue acre
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have only ever not finished 2 books; The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (so technically I finished the first book, just not the other 2), and Kafka - The Trial.

I hate not finishing books which is why I'm so selective. I will probably finish The Trial at some point, but I do find that Kafka is not really my thing.

Maybe you just need to find the style that engages you, or maybe you have issues with maintaining attention...
Sommerfugl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I will try do my best to finish a book even though i dont really enjoy it, but if its too horrible i give up, which i think ive only done twice.
Quirynn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I try and finish them no matter what... I've only ever given up once or twice.
noma5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I give up.
GFI
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly I am not interested to read books for those who I don’t like because I am not interested but, I read one book in my life that I didn’t like but I finished it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed