The Student Room Group

Head Girl Interview

I have a head girl interview this thursday! :s
If anyone has ever applied for this position and had an interview any advice is welcome!
I'm not too nervous, but been writing a few notes and not sure how to say 'Why I would be best for the job?' without sounding like a complete stuck up cow.

so yeah, any help would be great :biggrin:
thanks xxxx
Reply 1
Hey, I just applied recently for the same position so I'm still in the running - results will be tomorrow/day after!

I had 4 quick interviews, and one asked me who my inspiration was. I just named a random Mathematician as I intend to read Maths at uni :smile:.

I don't really remember much else from the interviews but in my speech I spoke about being form rep and doing DofE and how they show I am determined etc.

I think it will generally come naturally to you in the interview as I didn't exactly plan what I had to answer! But if you do want notes on why you'd be good for the job, just mention any of your good qualities - I'm sure you have loads like being hard working, persistent or whatever :smile:

Anyway hope this helps, and good luck :smile:
I was deputy head boy after only being at the school for 8 months, and the school i joined in yr 12 is a prestigious one.....i found out later that the bigger influences on their choices are the recommendations from teachers and their own perceptions of you already.
I think the interview is to see how you hold up and if you have the ability to think and verbalise your answers coherently....skills important for giving speeches etc
Reply 3
thanks guys :biggrin:
Talk with enthusiasm, I'm sure your enthusiastic :smile:
Reply 5
I know it sounds like such an amazing thing at the time but after being put through it this year i would offer you only one bit of advise...do you really want it..i had the worst year of my life and if i could go back i would turn the position down...i got treated so bad all year. Anything you do fantastically you get no thanks, any little thing that goes wrong it will automatically be your fault...so think hard..and if you think you have supportive friend now...everything changes...
Reply 6
I've been deputy head girl for the past year - just talk about how you can work as both a leader and as part of a team (I presume you have prefects/deputies?). You need to give off the air of someone who is easy to approach and will not be afraid to make yourself heard. It's also important to be organised if you are expected to help with school events,articulate if you have to give speeches etc etc.
Your teachers should recognise if you have some of those traits already,they just need confirmation.
I had a HG interview a few weeks back. Some things I'm going to say:

The scoring at my school was x/5 for contribution to school life, x/5 uniform compliance, x/10 on what you say: like what you plan to do, why you should be HG and so on.

I would add that smiling, and at least seeming like you enjoy it, is really important.

One girl got rejected after interview because she was "I WILL do this, I WILL do that" without showing insight into the fact that the job of the HG is to act as a mediator between students, and between students and teachers, as well as the role being to represent other people's ideas.
Original post by -aimz
I've been deputy head girl for the past year - just talk about how you can work as both a leader and as part of a team (I presume you have prefects/deputies?). You need to give off the air of someone who is easy to approach and will not be afraid to make yourself heard. It's also important to be organised if you are expected to help with school events,articulate if you have to give speeches etc etc.
Your teachers should recognise if you have some of those traits already,they just need confirmation.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Anyone I know while back me up when I say I'm a pretty disorganised person. :p: But I can still manage to balance HG duties with volunteer work outside of school and schoolwork and a social life... it's more important to be able to prioritise and have some self-restraint imo. Not that being organised doesn't help a lot, but it's possible to manage without it.

Other than that, I agree with you 10000% :smile:
Reply 9
I read that the dirty way :colondollar:
Reply 10
I was head girl at my school :smile: loved doing it, although it can get stressful, especially if you are in charge of organising prom! Definitely worth giving it a go, good luck!xxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending