UCAS System???? Watch

s640015
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Im still trying to understand the UCAS system but having some trouble understanding it..

Just say for AS i got...
AS Law - A
AS Business - C
ICT - C

& if i took these three subjects to A2
& Got C for all the subjects i decided to take onto A2.

How many UCAS points would i come out with & how?

Really appreciate it if someone can help me comprehend the UCAS System..
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
C = 80 points.

Three Cs = 80 x 3 = 240.
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/gcea

C at A2 is worth 80 points. Three Cs -> 240.
s640015
But dont first year of A Levels count for anything in teh second year?
spocckka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by s640015)
Yeah, half of it. That's why it would say 40 points for an AS C. They don't add up.
mr tim
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, as you continued into the A2 year, AS doesn't count.

If, however, you done ONLY the AS, then yes the AS Ucas points will count. See that link given above for more info.
Alison1992
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im still trying to understand the UCAS system but having some trouble understanding it..

Just say for AS i got...
AS Law - A
AS Business - C
ICT - C

& if i took these three subjects to A2
& Got C for all the subjects i decided to take onto A2.

How many UCAS points would i come out with & how?

Really appreciate it if someone can help me comprehend the UCAS System..
AS levels are worth:
A-60 points
B-50 Points
C-40 Points
D-30 Points
E-20 Points
U-0 Points

A2 Levels are worth
A*-140 Points
A-120 Points
B-100 Points
C-80 Points
D-60 Points
E-40 Points

Your AS point scores only count if they are not carried forward to A2, so if you are only doing 3 AS levels and you take 3 AS levels to A2, your points from AS levels wont count towards your overall point score, if you dropped one, the points from the subject that you dropped would count, make sense?

So, if you get 3 C's at A2 level you will have 240 UCAS points
s640015
first year of AS Results Must count for something at A2.
otherwise whats the point of doing first year of AS?
s640015
so just say You did really bad in the first Year of A Levels.. but got on to A2 would that effect Your grades or opportunity to get into a specific Uni?
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
AS is the first half of A2. So effectively a C at A2 is 80 as it is 40 UCAS points from AS and 40 from A2 but you cannot do to A2 modules without having done AS.
ninjacarlotta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well without the AS year (and points) you can't get a full A'level and the points that go with that.
And as above, if you don't carry on, you get the equivalent points for half that A'level.
s640015
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
AS is the first half of A2. So effectively a C at A2 is 80 as it is 40 UCAS points from AS and 40 from A2 but you cannot do to A2 modules without having done AS.

so effectively the points from AS & A2 are added together to produce a grade?
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so effectively the points from AS & A2 are added together to produce a grade?
Hang on. Are you talking about UMS points or UCAS points?

UCAS points: some unis give offers based on points. Eg 3 Cs = 240 points, but BCD also = 240 points. So that's more flexibility than a CCC offer.

UMS points = You do your exams, and your marks (raw score, eg if you got 50/100 marks on the exam) are converted to a uniform mark. These are added up to give your grades. Eg say you do 2 modules in Law AS. Your raw scores are 50/100 and 60/100. These are converted to UMS to give you a UMS score out of 200 (the conversion might be 50/100 --> 50/100 UMS but it may not). Then you do 2 more modules in Law at A2. You get 40/100 and 70/100. These are again converted. If they were converted so that 1 raw score mark = 1 UMS, you would have (50+60+40+70)/400 = 55%, which is a D grade.
s640015
(Original post by angelmxxx)
Hang on. Are you talking about UMS points or UCAS points?

UCAS points: some unis give offers based on points. Eg 3 Cs = 240 points, but BCD also = 240 points. So that's more flexibility than a CCC offer.

UMS points = You do your exams, and your marks (raw score, eg if you got 50/100 marks on the exam) are converted to a uniform mark. These are added up to give your grades. Eg say you do 2 modules in Law AS. Your raw scores are 50/100 and 60/100. These are converted to UMS to give you a UMS score out of 200 (the conversion might be 50/100 --> 50/100 UMS but it may not). Then you do 2 more modules in Law at A2. You get 40/100 and 70/100. These are again converted. If they were converted so that 1 raw score mark = 1 UMS, you would have (50+60+40+70)/400 = 55%, which is a D grade.

Oh right so UMS points from AS help towards your final grade at A2?
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so just say You did really bad in the first Year of A Levels.. but got on to A2 would that effect Your grades or opportunity to get into a specific Uni?
Yes. It affects your predicted grades. If you get EEE at AS, your teachers aren't going to predict that you will get AAA at A2. So you would need to apply to universities whose typical offers are around your predicted grades.

Also, AS = half of A2 (in UMS marks for your GRADE, not ucas points).
Say your Law a level has 4 modules (2 at AS, 2 at A2).
AS = 50% of the A level, A2 = 50%.

If you get an average of 40% from your AS modules, that's a grade E.
Even if you get an average of 80% from your A2 modules (ie a grade A), your overall A-LEVEL grade would be (40+80)/20 = 60% which is a grade C.
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh right so UMS points from AS help towards your final grade at A2?
Yep. AS = half of A level, A2 = half of A level (year 12 and year 13 respectively at school).

You can stop doing a subject after year 12, in which case you will just get an AS level qualification in that subject.

or you can continue a subject onto year 13 and get the full A-level.

Most people take 4 AS levels in year 12, then drop one for year 13 and get 3 full A-levels. So they will finish school with 3 A-Levels and 1 AS-Level.
s640015
Yep. AS = half of A level, A2 = half of A level (year 12 and year 13 respectively at school).

You can stop doing a subject after year 12, in which case you will just get an AS level qualification in that subject.

or you can continue a subject onto year 13 and get the full A-level.

Most people take 4 AS levels in year 12, then drop one for year 13 and get 3 full A-levels. So they will finish school with 3 A-Levels and 1 AS-Level.

oh right... I understand a lot more now
Thank You i really appreciate it.

Im predicted an A in Law at AS
How many UMS points would that be.. & how many UMS points at A2 would i need to result in an A grade overall
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
oh right... I understand a lot more now
Thank You i really appreciate it.

Im predicted an A in Law at AS
How many UMS points would that be.. & how many UMS points at A2 would i need to result in an A grade overall
For an A grade, you need 80%. So if your Law AS is out of 200, you would need 80% of 200 marks which = 160 points.

You need 80% for an A grade at A-Level overall so you would need another 160 points exactly (out of 200) in your A2 year too.

But if you got 170 points this year, you'd only need 150 points from your A2 modules, etc....but don't think about that now! Just try and get as many marks possible in each of your exams.
s640015
For an A grade, you need 80%. So if your Law AS is out of 200, you would need 80% of 200 marks which = 160 points.

You need 80% for an A grade at A-Level overall so you would need another 160 points exactly (out of 200) in your A2 year too.

But if you got 170 points this year, you'd only need 150 points from your A2 modules, etc....but don't think about that now! Just try and get as many marks possible in each of your exams.
Hopefully with all the revision i will come out with an A Grade at AS

For English Legal System module One i got 101/120 Marks, & so im assuming i need about 60 marks to come with an A in Law at AS. am i right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads