Very high offer Watch

Dirk-A
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

I from the Netherlands and I have applied to study in the UK.
Obviously I don't do A-levels but I go to the Dutch secondary school and my predicted grade is a 7.5
But all of a sudden I have gotten very high offers from the universities I want to go to, an 8 and a 9. I was quite surprised because of this because the university that wants me to get an 8 usually gives offers of AAB and the other asks for ABB.
Oxford for example normally gives offers of an 8 to Dutch students. So therefore I think those universities don't quite grasp the Dutch school system. I don't know what to do because I really want to study in the UK and while an 8 might be achievable although very hard, a 9 is near impossible and could probably be compared with A*A*A* because it's near perfect. It may be even harder since you do exams in 8 subjects in the Netherlands which includes subjects like Ancient Greek in my case which is very hard.

So my question is if I could get those universities to lower their offers because I really got to act soon since the deadline is coming close. I've been given one offer of a 7 but I'm not sure I really want to go to that university since it was my last choice basically.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the university that asked for a 9's course was even in Extra. Their website lists they usually give offers from 7 to 9 to Dutch students so it may be a mistake.
Gemzaar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe you should email or phone the university to confirm what the offer is. As you probably know, Oxford usually ask for A*AA/AAA so they may have changed the Dutch grades needed to match with UK standards.
FinalMH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dirk-A)
Which university are you talking about?
Dirk-A
Rep:
?
The one asking for an 8 is City/Cass.
The other asking for a 9 is Queen Mary, and I said that about Oxford to give a comparison I didn't apply there but I know they give offers of an 8 to Dutch students and that the English equivalent is AAA. So surely a 9 can't be compared to ABB.
ellie_flower
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The one asking for an 8 is City/Cass.
The other asking for a 9 is Queen Mary, and I said that about Oxford to give a comparison I didn't apply there but I know they give offers of an 8 to Dutch students and that the English equivalent is AAA. So surely a 9 can't be compared to ABB.
I applied to universities with the IB in 2008. Their offers were all around the 42 point mark which is the equivalent of 6 1/2 A's at A Level (before A*s were invented).

The admission tutors just don't understand a system so they ask for the highest they can so they look better. Don't be fooled, the universities you have applied for are good, but they aren't Harvard (who would incidentally have worked out the right grades to get for the Dutch system most likely!)

Phone up and explain exactly how you have done on here. Though not today because its a bank holiday

Ellie
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Universities are not obliged to make the offers which they state are 'typical' in their promotional material.

Perhaps your Personal Statement was weaker than other applicants, or they are near full capacity and they want to be sure they don't overfill?

You could always e-mail them to ask why, what's the worst that could happen?
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

Obviously I don't do A-levels but I go to the Dutch secondary school and my predicted grade is a 7.5
But all of a sudden I have gotten very high offers from the universities I want to go to, an 8 and a 9. I was quite surprised because of this because the university that wants me to get an 8 usually gives offers of AAB and the other asks for ABB.
Oxford for example normally gives offers of an 8 to Dutch students. So therefore I think those universities don't quite grasp the Dutch school system. I don't know what to do because I really want to study in the UK and while an 8 might be achievable although very hard, a 9 is near impossible and could probably be compared with A*A*A* because it's near perfect. It may be even harder since you do exams in 8 subjects in the Netherlands which includes subjects like Ancient Greek in my case which is very hard.

So my question is if I could get those universities to lower their offers because I really got to act soon since the deadline is coming close. I've been given one offer of a 7 but I'm not sure I really want to go to that university since it was my last choice basically.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the university that asked for a 9's course was even in Extra. Their website lists they usually give offers from 7 to 9 to Dutch students so it may be a mistake.
You could phone up and double check your offer, but I doubt they've made a mistake. You can't really challenge an offer, so you just have to put your head down, work hard and try to meet it.
Dirk-A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rascacielos)
You could phone up and double check your offer, but I doubt they've made a mistake. You can't really challenge an offer, so you just have to put your head down, work hard and try to meet it.
The problem is is that just working hard isn't a solution. To have an average of a 9 is near impossible and I think about 0.1% of the students manage to get that each year. And the level I do is already the highest in the Dutch school system which only 20% of the students do.

What's even weirder is that they've asked for an average of 9 with atleast a 6 in Mathematics while I would think that's one of the most important subjects so this seems like some kind of administrative error or otherwise they just haven't really thought their offer through.
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The problem is is that just working hard isn't a solution. To have an average of a 9 is near impossible and I think about 0.1% of the students manage to get that each year. And the level I do is already the highest in the Dutch school system which only 20% of the students do.

What's even weirder is that they've asked for an average of 9 with atleast a 6 in Mathematics while I would think that's one of the most important subjects so this seems like some kind of administrative error or otherwise they just haven't really thought their offer through.
I'd suggest getting in touch with them then. I'm sure the admissions tutors know more than the average TSR member!
Dirk-A
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellie_flower)
I applied to universities with the IB in 2008. Their offers were all around the 42 point mark which is the equivalent of 6 1/2 A's at A Level (before A*s were invented).

The admission tutors just don't understand a system so they ask for the highest they can so they look better. Don't be fooled, the universities you have applied for are good, but they aren't Harvard (who would incidentally have worked out the right grades to get for the Dutch system most likely!)

Phone up and explain exactly how you have done on here. Though not today because its a bank holiday

Ellie
Thanks for reassuring my thoughts, I'll do that indeed I guess all will be well but those offers just really surprised me. They probably don't receive a lot of applications from Dutch students so they don't learn the Dutch school system.

Universities are not obliged to make the offers which they state are 'typical' in their promotional material.

Perhaps your Personal Statement was weaker than other applicants, or they are near full capacity and they want to be sure they don't overfill?

You could always e-mail them to ask why, what's the worst that could happen?
I honestly think my Personal Statement was quite strong. And I don't think they just give really high offers to make sure the course doesn't fill up, they would have probably just rejected me if that were the case I think.
Dirk-A
Rep:
?
I'd suggest getting in touch with them then. I'm sure the admissions tutors know more than the average TSR member!
That's true but I wanted to see if more people had experience with such a thing happening.

But on a brighter note; I just found out I have untill the 7th of June to reply so that gives me some more time to solve this
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's true but I wanted to see if more people had experience with such a thing happening.

But on a brighter note; I just found out I have untill the 7th of June to reply so that gives me some more time to solve this
Well, from what I've read on TSR, students have tried to get their offers lowered (albeit not concerning Dutch qualifications) but with little success.
Dirk-A
Rep:
?
Well, from what I've read on TSR, students have tried to get their offers lowered (albeit not concerning Dutch qualifications) but with little success.
Yeah but the whole point is that I think they don't understand my school system and therefore give 'wrong' offers.
A 9 just doesn't compare with ABB at all, neither does an 8 with AAB although closer. I think Oxford got it right with AAA = 8 and that it should be more like
AAB = 7.5 ABB = 7

Edit: And also isn't it weird that the university asking for lower English requirements asks for higher Dutch ones than the other university which asks for higher English entry requirements
Nickbotto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm an Italian student and I'm holding 3 conditionals (when will the other 2 reply, arghhhhhh!), from my point of view they are very low, Leeds and Hull wants 80% and Newcastle wants 75%, they're pretty low for my standards because I shouldn't be getting anything lower than 90 %, although my goal is to get the max, cause there's a cash prize!! But yeah for me, those uni gave me pretty low offers.
ellie_flower
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah but the whole point is that I think they don't understand my school system and therefore give 'wrong' offers.
A 9 just doesn't compare with ABB at all, neither does an 8 with AAB although closer. I think Oxford got it right with AAA = 8 and that it should be more like
AAB = 7.5 ABB = 7

Edit: And also isn't it weird that the university asking for lower English requirements asks for higher Dutch ones than the other university which asks for higher English entry requirements
thats EXACTLY what they do with the IB as well.

Asked A level students for 3 As and then me the equiv for 6.

IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE JUST STAY IN HOLLAND! maastricht is lovely
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
AAB = 7.5 ABB = 7

I don't know. I'm sure they have a reason behind it and I don't doubt you're the first Dutch applicant - I'm sure they have a fair idea.
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Hey

Well I can tell you as a German, that no british university except Oxbridge knows about other qualifications. For German students for example an usual offer from UCL for economics is 1.1 in the german Abitur. Even Cambridge only asks for 1.3. But for the IB for example they only want 39 points at UCL which is 1.5-1.4 on the official converting table... So yeah I think you can't really do something abound it, they just don't know... I actually tried to explain the economics department at UCL that 1.1 is not appropiate since that would be 42 IB points but he didn't even understand what I was talking about. But still, good luck! Hopefully you'll meet the offers somehow
Seentje
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

hey, I am a Dutch student and I had the exact same problem as you. Manchester asked for a 9 average for an ABB course (which I found pretty ridiculous). I appealed against the decision, and they have lowered my offer to a 7.5. If you want to know more about it, just PM me. Don't worry, explain your case and I am sure that if they want you, they'll see reason.
Dirk-A
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellie_flower)
thats EXACTLY what they do with the IB as well.

Asked A level students for 3 As and then me the equiv for 6.

IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE JUST STAY IN HOLLAND! maastricht is lovely
Haha they won't get me down! And I already live in Amsterdam now so I don't want to 'downgrade' to a smaller place because I like big cities but I also don't want to stay in the same place. And I also just love the UK so I really wanna go there

But how did those high offers work out for you in the end?

Hey

Well I can tell you as a German, that no british university except Oxbridge knows about other qualifications. For German students for example an usual offer from UCL for economics is 1.1 in the german Abitur. Even Cambridge only asks for 1.3. But for the IB for example they only want 39 points at UCL which is 1.5-1.4 on the official converting table... So yeah I think you can't really do something abound it, they just don't know... I actually tried to explain the economics department at UCL that 1.1 is not appropiate since that would be 42 IB points but he didn't even understand what I was talking about. But still, good luck! Hopefully you'll meet the offers somehow
Very annoying aswell, they really have to get a better sense of foreign qualifactions indeed, especially since it's so deciding for our future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads