How much revision? Watch

Gammon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm doing 10 GCSE's and am wondering how much revision to do nearer the real exams?
What is the usual amount of revision per night and when should i start? Is after christmas too early?
Am aiming for A's at minimum and am very strong at maths and sciency subjects. However the subjects that need more structured writing (english, RE, geography) i am terrible at (C level with no revision)!
Should i prioritise these subjects and revise more for them?

Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
donvito
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
don't bother starting after Christmas, you'll be sick of exams by the time the real ones come...burn out big time.

I started around middle of Feb.

Don't get too complacent with maths/sciences, although obviously do less revision. With English it is difficult to revise (except for the poetry) and RE you can jus blag! I did and got an A*!
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
donvito, are you a fan of Don Vito?
WantA*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Definatly blag RS

NO work in class for 5 years, NO revision = A* 95/100 !
Piggy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My advice is yeh, don't start until Easter, its likely you'll forget everything you revise now in June anyway. I did 13 GCSEs and managed to do well revising after Easter. Also, I know what you mean about the essay subject thing - in year 10 exams i gota low C but if you read over your text and notes close to the exam and go online for some notes you'll be fine!
*bobo*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you'll know when you've done enough revision- don't stress over it. It is best to spread your revision thinly over a long amount of time. However, cramming also works.
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't burn yourself out, you need to have a good break at Christmas so you can be fresh later on in the year. When I revised during Christmas (I had mocks in January), I did around three hours per day (excluding Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and New Years Day) and a couple of others when I was busy, I worked for two out of my three weeks holiday in total. I worked out how many one hour slots I had in my revision programme, and then allocated my subjects so that I gave the most time to Maths and Physics (my weakest subjects) and the least to History (my strongest).
Niaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
dont start properly revising till at least march - its hard to revise before then because you may not have been taught all the stuff
but there are things you can do to help yourself out before then - make sure that you keep any handouts and things in order. every few weeks go over and refresh your memory expecially with stuff like key points or quotes and formulas and stuff, if you do this they go into your long term memory so your more likely to remember them in the exam ( down side can be you still remember them for ages afterwards - I have loads of bible quotes about peace in my head)
and if you struggle with a topic in class look it up as you go along
Sjay_baby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeh, totally relax about it, focus on learning the stuff you're doing in class as you go along - it'll make it much easier at the end - and just revise for all the mini tests and end of unit exams etc, use those as focused revision blocks, and you'll have a really good basis for when you start your final revision, you will know one hell of a lot more than you think you do,
i started on study leave... and a didnt do alot even then...
but they're right, cramming does work wonders!!!

good luck!!!

--------------

oooh! and then make up songs and stuff! my friend and i still know our ones for RE about euthenasia and pope john paul the 6th!! :eek:
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There's no point revising straight after Christmas because you won't have finished the syllabus yet and you'll be totally sick of revision by the time you really need to do it! I started in the Easter holidays, which I thought was about right, but obviously you need to pay attention in lessons, do all your homework and make sure you ask about anything you don't completely understand. You should do some revision for all your subjects, but it's a good idea to do more for your weaker ones.
cosmopolitan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
DON'T START AT CHRISTMAS!
thats crazy.
start about end of March start of April.
my advice is to begin with the subjects you like the most/are best at because you can get them out of the way quickly and then you'll have a solid amount of time to work on the subjects you find hardest.
but really its whatever works for you!or has worked for you in the past!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1282)
79.73%
Leave (326)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed