The Student Room Group

What do you think the next world war will be fought over?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oil or some huge religious conflict.
Original post by DH-Biker
Oil.

China and America hold last rights to oil found when it is running on the lower third-reserve. Once that gets really low, they will use separate military reserves to occupy, obtain and transport that oil back to the respective countries in order to maintain their internal-workings.

Chinese and American forces will fight for land laden with oil, oil-rigs, oil-derrick fields and any storage areas. The Middle-East, especially the UAE will use conventional and nuclear arms to prevent incursion onto their oil fields; thus contaminating them in the process, most likely.

They wont attack America or China directly, but rather use low-megaton yield warheads to attack formations.

NATO will back America, Russia will probably join in itself or ally with China, and China itself will be able to hold their own. India and Pakistan will probably fall into a war and **** will break down.

But yes, the Third World War will be fought over oil.

And you don't think that science will find an alternative.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Resources, as I said in the other WWIII thread.

We are running out of:

1. Land. If we chop down much more forest or clear more wetlands then we will cause irreversible damage to the planet's ecology - we are using land very wastefully at the moment.
2. Water. Desertification and overpopulation are going to lead to continental-scale water shortages by the 2040s.
3. Energy. Oil and gas prices will soar as we start to source hydrocarbons from the very volatile Caspian region which is in between China, Russia, India and Europe (and the US will probably get stuck in too - it always does) and wars break out. France, Iceland and New Zealand are some of the few nations that won't go belly up because they had the foresight to convert to an all or largely renewable and nuclear energy grid.
4. Metals. Rare earths, specifically. There's enough iron in the Earth's crust to build several skyscrapers to the Moon and back, but rare earths, as their name suggests, are, well, very rare, but sadly also important for many high tech developments like wind turbines and next-gen computers. China is tightening it's grip on these resources and we will start to run out of them by 2020.
5. Other elements. Noble gases - vital as coolants and for all sorts of high tech purposes - are running out. Helium will be the first to go - all gone by 2025 despite it's abundance throughout the universe.

We're screwed :sigh:

Thanks a bunch all you gob****es who came before us. Thanks for ruining our ****ing planet.

But... my balloons. :cry2:

This is going to suck.
Original post by Silver Arrow
I listened to a podcast about 2 years ago and it said water. It makes sense because the world population is growing rapidly. China is at the forefront of it and it's HUNGRY for resources. The West is slowly diminishing. Africa is just hopeless as ever.
I think it will get to a point where people will be fighting to survive and not to be the "Top dog"
China is slowly taking over the world. They are now owed money by the US & Japan.
I think the West will start it and finish us all.
Discuss.

There wont be one. The world is too well connected and becoming increasingly small. When the new waves of tech savvy politicians come into power i would hope a lot of the territorialism will be laid to rest. I can switch on my computer and with a few clicks of my mouse connect to, play games and chat with people from almost any country in the world. I do so often, will continue to do so, as will many others. War is enabled via people not communicating with each other and the seperation of people and politics. The new wave of politicians will know this and work together rather than apart.

On top of all of this, war is the single biggest waste of resources. Ist it a little counter-productive when things are running scarce?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Tim from MasterChef's food.
Oil and Water
Reply 46
I don't think there'll be one. The world has changed a lot since 1939. The whole world is connected and interdependent now. I don't see there being massive conflicts over resources, "necessity is the mother of invention" after all.
Original post by Tefhel
I don't think there'll be one. The world has changed a lot since 1939. The whole world is connected and interdependent now. I don't see there being massive conflicts over resources, "necessity is the mother of invention" after all.

cue North Korea taking out South Korea then joining Mugabe in their attempt at world domination,..maybe be i need to stop drunkin this rum.......Captain Morgan really owns me:rolleyes:
A blight which destroys all the cocoa beans. Can you imagine the carnage when millions of premenstrual women discover that they're not going to have chocolate during PMT? I dread to think.
Reply 49
Original post by PendulumBoB
And you don't think that science will find an alternative.

Within 50 years? And globally replicated, taking out all need for fossil fuels simultaneously?

Science will find an alternative; but before it gets heated over oil? No.
Reply 50
Original post by Silver Arrow
I listened to a podcast about 2 years ago and it said water. It makes sense because the world population is growing rapidly. China is at the forefront of it and it's HUNGRY for resources. The West is slowly diminishing. Africa is just hopeless as ever.
I think it will get to a point where people will be fighting to survive and not to be the "Top dog"
China is slowly taking over the world. They are now owed money by the US & Japan.
I think the West will start it and finish us all.
Discuss.

I wouldn't say water, we got plenty, just need to create water treating plants......
I would say scarce resources needed for the creation of goods, etc like metal ores and fuel like oil, gas ,etc
religion... :P
If there is one, self interests
The next war will be fought over freedom.
Freedom of choice, Freedom of or from religion, Freedom to be a private citizen.

The next war will be fought on the Internet. And the first shot has already been fired by the people we elect.
Reply 54
water, the most basic and abundant commodity yet much of the world seems to have so little of it..
Original post by TheSownRose
Israel.

This. The only thing that's stopping it happening right now is the unbalance of power.
Reply 56
Original post by Arianto
Or Scarlett Johanssen. :sexface:

I'll agree with this one!
But maybe it will be something different... Dispute over who owns what territories on mars or something could kick-start a world war here on Earth?
There won't be another world war.
Reply 58
Water, food, energy resourses, something involving North Korea, the possibilities are endless
Natural resources.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending