legal aid Watch

hibiscus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
with the changes in legal aid is there any point in continuing paralegalling with a firm thats work is mostly publically funded (with a view to securing a tc) or should i begin considering other options?
Aerasay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would definitely start considering other options, and start applying to other places. But why not speak to your firm and see what the situation is and what the likelihood is of you getting a TC is?
hibiscus
Rep:
?
hmmm
the problem is there don't seem to be too many other options right now!
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hibiscus)
with the changes in legal aid is there any point in continuing paralegalling with a firm thats work is mostly publically funded (with a view to securing a tc) or should i begin considering other options?
I think you need to ask yourself the following questions.

First of all are they still offering traineeships now that the LSC funding for traineeships for legal aid lawyers has been withdrawn? That money is unlikely to return.

Secondly in cash terms the amount of legal aid has not been greatly reduced. What is being reduced is the areas of law that will receive it and the LSC has been trying, so far with little success, to change the make up of the firms doing legal aid. It is hard to fully grasp this at groundling level, but does your firm seem pro-active, looking for innovative ways to provide publicly funded legal aid, or are they people who are fighting to preserve the present position and see the LSC as the enemy? Ultimately success will lie with the firms that do the LSC's bidding.

Thirdly, are you better staying in this job, whilst looking for traineeships elsewhere?
hibiscus
Rep:
?
I'm not too sure to be honest
All I've heard is talk about how the changes will not be good for their salaries
I'll probably just stay in this for the time being and look at alternative careers
There just don't seem to be that many alternative for law graduates!
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not too sure to be honest
All I've heard is talk about how the changes will not be good for their salaries
I'll probably just stay in this for the time being and look at alternative careers
There just don't seem to be that many alternative for law graduates!
Anybody saying "salary" isn't an equity partner. What is their attitude?
hibiscus
Rep:
?
the partner was in fact the one who said to one of the solicitors...looks like we won't be getting paid anything from now! :s
i enjoy the work a lot (family) but I know it's going to be very difficult to find another paralegal position... I have been searching for absolutely ages. I was in fact intending to do the LPC part time. I'm just not sure if it's worth it.... not only will it be a very tough two years of studying after a long working day... it will also mean I'm stuck on mimumum wage. The alternative would be to try and get some boring financial job (again this is not that easy in this awful job market) that will at least pay reasonably well.
Aerasay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the partner was in fact the one who said to one of the solicitors...looks like we won't be getting paid anything from now! :s
i enjoy the work a lot (family) but I know it's going to be very difficult to find another paralegal position... I have been searching for absolutely ages. I was in fact intending to do the LPC part time. I'm just not sure if it's worth it.... not only will it be a very tough two years of studying after a long working day... it will also mean I'm stuck on mimumum wage. The alternative would be to try and get some boring financial job (again this is not that easy in this awful job market) that will at least pay reasonably well.
The advice I have received from careers talks at BPP recently was if you are sure you want to be a lawyer and you want to do publicly funded work, get qualified however you can - high street firm, local government, GLS, big commercial firm. Choose somewhere you are interested in, keep your skills up by doing pro-bono and once qualified it is easier to make the move across. There are very few jobs at the trainee level right now. If as you mention above you are contemplating financial jobs then a commercial law job shouldn't be too far out of your comfort zone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads