My writing is horrible - will the examiners understand it? Watch

Poll: Is my writing legible?
Yes, it's perfect. Neat. (lies) (0)
0%
It's easily legible (12)
16%
I find it quite difficult to read it but understood what you wrote (48)
64%
What is that? Is it Arabic? (15)
20%
in_your_face
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I wonder what happens if the examiner can't read my writing?

Most of my IB subjects are essay-based (4 subjects out of 6), so I need to write fast, but I've been told my writing is not legible.

Anyone knows what happens then?

Here is a sample of my writing - can you read it?

Thanks.

SAMPLE OF MY WRITING IS IN LINK BELOW

http://i51.tinypic.com/29xynsw.jpg
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
mine is worse, and it never really effected my exam scores (that i know of... who knows, it could have?)

and yes i can read it... but then im used to reading my own writing
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can read it. There are one or two words I couldn't, but the majority of it was fine.

(However, I am also a person with terrible handwriting. You should probably ask someone who writes neatly. LOL.)
Tzarchasm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What the **** are you trying to do to the examiners?
Z-6H820
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can work it out, but why irritate the examiners by making them have to struggle...? Can you just write in capitals or something, because if I opened that up as an examiner and had to read pages of that I'd scream
Dan9878
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why dont you ask your centre if you can type instead?
Right Guard 3.D
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nice Geography essay. Luckily I'm also going to have Plate Tectonics in my exam this year

Seriously though, your writing is fine. My writing is also bad and I do better in Geography than my other subjects (Chemistry and Physics) and geog is more essay based

I wouldn't worry personally. The examiner will have seen worse and have marked about 1000000 papers with worse writing than yours and will have been able to read those.
eihpos95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found that kind of hard to read but I've read worse, lmfao.
It probably won't affect your mark but an examiner won't spend any longer on your paper than anyone else's based on handwriting, if they can't read what it says they'll just give up.
They'll have seen worse though, don't worry too much.
Mujeriego
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It looks like you've used a chicken's foot as a pen.

Obligatory no offence.
ilyking
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel sorry for the examiner, though it shouldn't really matter. Most examiners are probably highly skilled so they're used to seeing this kind of writing. All the english teachers at my secondary school were good at reading pieces or writing that I would have no hope in understanding due to the horrible writing
curtis871
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can read that but mine is worse. I don't think that is that bad. (i voted "It's easily legible" by the way)
Lucygator
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by in_your_face)

Most of my IB subjects are essay-based (4 subjects out of 6), so I need to write fast, but I've been told my writing is not legible.

Thanks.

blimey, its quite unreadable. I would suggest trying to write your letters straighter (as in less of a slant) and further away from eachother. otherwise the examiners will be pisssed!
Kiitherine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
The examiner will have seen worse and have marked about 1000000 papers with worse writing than yours and will have been able to read those.
What if the examiner considers the paper to be one of the hundreds of illegible papers? Why make it difficult for the examiner to read your response to the question?

To the OP, obviously you have an issue with your own handwriting or else you would have not created this thread. The examiner has hundreds of papers to mark and is not going to lose sleep on trying to decipher words in your essays. Who is going to lose out is YOU, in by making it difficult for the examiners to read your responses to questions, you are making it difficult for them to award you marks.

My writing was an issue to the point where more than one teacher did an imitation of it in front of the class (which looked like a multitude of m's joined together), teachers wouldn't go to the effort to work out certain words and that cost me points in essays. I received photocopies of my papers from school because we were the first cohort to go through and noticed in my English and Economics papers that the examiners had underlined phrases even I couldn't read only 2 months after having written them!

Make the effort to make your writing comprehensible (you can make a start with your pre- in 'predicted'), make every letter clear. Bear in mind you will probably be savagely scrawling away in the exam trying to get all your ideas,opinions and answers across - think of who has to read it it would be a shame to write a perfect piece if half of it was illegible

Good luck!
llamalad200
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i was more concerned about the use of commas your writing is fine! don't worry about that
jellybeanjen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by in_your_face)

Thanks.

Your writing isn't the neatest I've seen and it can be a bit tough to read in places, but it's not the worst and examiners will have been marking papers with bad writing in them for years so don't worry. I've made it through dozens of exams with bad smudgey left-handed writing that only gets worse when I write quickly under exam conditions. See here for some normal standard lecture notes and imagine the crud the examiners see!
Blazara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could read words, maybe entire sentences - the main issue is that the audience having to try/concentrate on reading ends up destroying any "flow" you have in your writing...
in_your_face
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by jellybeanjen)
Your writing isn't the neatest I've seen and it can be a bit tough to read in places, but it's not the worst and examiners will have been marking papers with bad writing in them for years so don't worry. I've made it through dozens of exams with bad smudgey left-handed writing that only gets worse when I write quickly under exam conditions. See here for some normal standard lecture notes and imagine the crud the examiners see!
thanks, that made me feel better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads