first past the post and alternative vote system Watch

sweetgyal24
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Whats the difference??

We had learnt the difference in Public Law at uni. I remember it something along the lines of making the system fairer ??

I'm not sure of what to vote; the same old system or AV?
Any help or advice is much appreciated
Thanks in ad
CallmeMorris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One is 1 and the other is 1234
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My advice? Don't even bother looking at the No/yes campaigns. Both of them are guilty of lies and misleading facts.
CallmeMorris
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
My advice? Don't even bother looking at the No/yes campaigns. Both of them are guilty of lies and misleading facts.
Agreed just vote no anyway.
Coup-d-Etat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In FPTP, you vote by putting an X next to the candidate you want. Under AV, we'd rank them in order of preference- 1,2,3,4 etc.
I'd like a PR system so I probably should vote yes. I'm not because 1) AV won't make that much of a difference and 2) I want to give Nick Clegg a kicking :p:
Gromit94
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
FPTP invovles voting for 1 candidate, and 1 candidate only in your constituency. If that candidate gets the most votes they become the MP for that constituency. If their party gets the most MPs then they are the ruling government. So you do not need the majority of the vote to win (ie 50%), just the most votes.

In AV you have more than 1 vote to rank candidates in your order of preference. Once everyone's voted the ballots are counted (with no expensive machine that the NO2AV campaign talks of) and if one candidate has achieved 50% of the vote then they are elected the MP. However if not, then the candidate with the lowest votes is eliminated. The counters look again at the lowest-placed candidate and redistribute their 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. votes amongst the other candidates. They then look again to see if one candidate has achieved 50%. Whilst this does mean that the candidate who didn't initally get the most votes can win THIS VERY RARELY HAPPENS!!!

Essentially with AV you have to have 50% of the support in your constituency whereas with FPTP you just need the most votes, which could mean less than 1/3. With FPTP a government can get into power, despite the other party getting more votes, as happened in 2005 and in 1951.

Oh and this election will do nothing to Nick Clegg. The result will last long after he's gone.

I'm a Government and Politic's Student and I've had to learn about all the different systems used in the UK; the NO2AV campaign tells us AV is too complicated but the systems used to elect devovled bodies in Northern Ireland and Scotland are soooo much harder! I've spent all day trying to understand them!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads