The Student Room Group

Why do girls always expect the guy to do all the talking on a date?

Scroll to see replies

Which brings us to our sweeping generalisation of the week!
Original post by AdamR89
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't getting to know someone a "two way thing"...? Maybe I'm picking the wrong girls, but the last two dates I went on, I had to talk a lot and make conversation, otherwise they would've just sat there in silence all night. At times they asked me questions, but not often. I felt really awkward to be honest, and I really wanted to get up, say "f--k this, i'm out" and walk out, but I didn't because I was being polite. Anyway, needless to say I didn't contact them again.
So girls, why are you such hard work on a date? Why can't you make it easier by actually talking and getting to know the guy as well?

On the other hand...

I've been on 2 dates recently with guys who would NOT SHUT UP ABOUT THEMSELVES!

did you ask her open questions about herself? ...i couldn't get a word in edge ways and i'm usually the chatty one :-/

...it appears lots of people aren't great at 'first date conversation balance' aha
cos its just the way it is
when my boyfriend and i go out, ever since we started dating, we've been able to talk for hours and hours haha, and if he's not in much of a chatty mood i've always got something to say to him :smile:

maybe you are just choosing the wrong girls? haha. just try and get an interesting topic for both of you going, and it should be easier to get a two-way conversation going haha
Original post by Pink Bullets
I like how you consider two a big enough sample size to make a judgement about half the world's population... :rofl:

So hes no different to a woman thinking it about men then lol.

Original post by kat2pult
I've actually found the opposite; that it was me who had to make the extra effort to make the conversation because the guy was being quiet. However, if conversation is difficult, even after an hour or 2, it's probably (not always) not going to be the best or most successful relationship. I guess when it's right, it's easy.

Thats an interesting viewpoint, most girls I notice seem to think that they are there to be chatted up in one sense and rarely make the effort to take the initative and thats why on a night out if a guy meets a random girl and after a few minutes she gets bored she walks off as if its her that needs to be mentally stimulated.

I dont think converstaion alone means a relationship can be good and bad as I am a shy guy so find it hard to make friends, but on the rare occasion someone makes freinds with me they are friends for life since they realise I am more trustworthy and fun than most people.

Thats since when I chat to someone more often than not its about what they got up to at weekend or who they fancy or if its academical they talk about what they read and since you dont know what they are talking about you cant talk back so are at a disadvantage.

I am the sort of talker if you told me to hold a conversation on my own I couldnt but talk to me about something and I could explain my own experiences on the situation in great detail.
Reply 25
Tbh, I've found the same general traits in the girls I've been out on dates with. One word answers, very timid.. generally just not very involved.

I mean, it's fine being nervous, but when the conversation goes like:

Me: I saw this/that/the other film last week, seemed alright actually... what kind of films are you generally into?
Her: Oh, just films.....
Me: ... [no, not even going to ask me what I like? fine..] Yeah, I'm the same a bit it depends on the mood, I guess you're the same then?
Her: Yeah...
Me: Right, fine... :erm:

I mean seriously... Fine, it's not the most thrilling of topics, but give me something to go on at least.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying all girls are like this, I've been out with friends who you can't shut up, it just seems like all the girls I end up trying to meet up with for drinks [admittedly, not exactly a huge number] are all hugely reluctant to ever speak.
Reply 26
Original post by Drewski
Tbh, I've found the same general traits in the girls I've been out on dates with. One word answers, very timid.. generally just not very involved.

I mean, it's fine being nervous, but when the conversation goes like:

Me: I saw this/that/the other film last week, seemed alright actually... what kind of films are you generally into?
Her: Oh, just films.....
Me: ... [no, not even going to ask me what I like? fine..] Yeah, I'm the same a bit it depends on the mood, I guess you're the same then?
Her: Yeah...
Me: Right, fine... :erm:

I mean seriously... Fine, it's not the most thrilling of topics, but give me something to go on at least.

Now, obviously, I'm not saying all girls are like this, I've been out with friends who you can't shut up, it just seems like all the girls I end up trying to meet up with for drinks [admittedly, not exactly a huge number] are all hugely reluctant to ever speak.

Ha ha I used to be that girl. I used to be scared of replying just in case my opinions put men off. Seems silly now.

Even when my date asked me where i wanted to go next I was 'Don't know.... not bothered' I was just petrified of saying the wrong thing. The irony is though they probably ran a mile because of it.

I'm no way that girl now, Now I'm not so shy I'm just my self.
Reply 27
Original post by Sheens
Ha ha I used to be that girl. I used to be scared of replying just in case my opinions put men off. Seems silly now.

Even when my date asked me where i wanted to go next I was 'Don't know.... not bothered' I was just petrified of saying the wrong thing. The irony is though they probably ran a mile because of it.

I'm no way that girl now, Now I'm not so shy I'm just my self.

You lot don't like making things easy for us, do you?!
Reply 28
I actually have a date on Tuesday so I'm gonna make sure the terms.....'Don't know...not bothered', 'into all kinds of films/music etc', 'this and that' and any other non informative phases are completely wiped from my vocabulary!!!
Reply 29
Original post by Sheens
I actually have a date on Tuesday so I'm gonna make sure the terms.....'Don't know...not bothered', 'into all kinds of films/music etc', 'this and that' and any other non informative phases are completely wiped from my vocabulary!!!

Your male or female?
Reply 30
9 times out of 10 if within a hour or so date still feels awkward then its not the right person tbh
Reply 31
Original post by Swimmer
Your male or female?

I'm female :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Sheens
I'm female :tongue:

Where you going on a date? Sorry need ideas :biggrin:
Reply 33
I think it's the common misconception that all guys want to do is get into a woman's pants. So as a result a woman wants to find out whether there is more on your mind than her ****.
Reply 34
Original post by Swimmer
Where you going on a date? Sorry need ideas :biggrin:

Good question. We are both really skint. These long weekends have taken its toll. So we're having an afternoon date walking in the park and maybe having a bit of a picnic :smile:
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
All girls want someone "who can hold an interesting conversation", even if they can't...

Funny how all men also want that...

Maybe gender doesn't have a whole lot to do with wanting an interesting partner. Huh, imagine that.
Reply 36
You need to get them onto a subject that women never shut up about.

Themselves.
Reply 37
Maybe you didn't steer the conversation towards the sandwich making process and/or she just didn't have a good segue to start talkin about it..
Original post by Pink Bullets
Funny how all men also want that...

Maybe gender doesn't have a whole lot to do with wanting an interesting partner. Huh, imagine that.

Funny that, eh? :tongue:

I got no trouble at all being interesting and intriguing

Spoiler

I wouldn't :confused: Sounds like you were just unlucky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending