Could I have been a victim of PSN hack? Watch

W.H.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
We all know about the Playstation network hack. Well just yesterday, I've realised I've had my two e-mail accounts hacked - I know because someone used them to send a few e-mails containing a weird website link (probably virus link) to a few of my contacts and to the hacked email accounts themselves.

The thing is I'm not even sure if I have a playstation network account. I have a PSP and I remember creating some account on the website which allowed me to download stuff, but that was years ago, I haven't even touched that account in years. So I've even forgotten my username, but I think I've probably used the same password for it as my email accounts. I'm right in thinking this affects not only PS3 accounts but also PSPs?

I'm pretty sure my emails haven't been hacked by virus in my laptop, because I have a norton anti-virus software, and I do a full system scan every week or so, including today, which revealed nothing other than a few 'harmless' tracking cookies. I've also never signed into my those two accounts on any other computer before. Also as far as I'm aware, I've never had viruses or anything hacked into before, so seeing my two email accounts sending emails to other people without my knowledge is something new to me.

I guess what I want to know is, have others experienced something similar? and what are the chances that my accounts have been hacked as a result of PSN - I don't know much other than that emails and some other details have been taken from PSN accounts, so my hunch is that someone found out my password of my PSN account and found my email
CallmeMorris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Simple answer is no. Go get xbox
Notorious.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sony sent out an e-mail to everyone who may have been affected a few days ago. As far as I know the people who hacked PSN were only really interested in credit card information, and nobody has detected any instances of fraud on that front.

I can't rule out that what you're saying is correct, and it is the hackers who have your information. However, what I can say is that you should change your e-mails passwords, and passwords on any other websites in which you use the same password as your e-mails.

Also, for future reference Norton is probably the worst anti-virus software out there. You should install ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG or Avast as your anti-virus and another thing called SpyBot Search & Destroy which will keep you aware of any intrusions into your PC.

Hope I helped!
W.H.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by CallmeMorris)
Simple answer is no. Go get xbox
want to elaborate on that?
SchadenfreudeDude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I doubt it.

At no point in the account creation process does Sony ask for the password to your email.
W.H.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notorious.)
Sony sent out an e-mail to everyone who may have been affected a few days ago. As far as I know the people who hacked PSN were only really interested in credit card information, and nobody has detected any instances of fraud on that front.

I can't rule out that what you're saying is correct, and it is the hackers who have your information. However, what I can say is that you should change your e-mails passwords, and passwords on any other websites in which you use the same password as your e-mails.

Also, for future reference Norton is probably the worst anti-virus software out there. You should install ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG or Avast as your anti-virus and another thing called SpyBot Search & Destroy which will keep you aware of any intrusions into your PC.

Hope I helped!
I haven;t recieved that email . Have they only sent it to PS3 accounts rather than also PSP accounts?

Also the anti-virus softwares you;ve mentioned, are they free and where can I get them from because I don't think I seen them in shops before
W.H.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by SchadenfreudeDude)
I doubt it.

At no point in the account creation process does Sony ask for the password to your email.
the thing is that I've probably used the same password for my sony account as my emails accounts as well
CallmeMorris
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)
want to elaborate on that?
no

exclamation?/n?/?

Used to give a negative response
- “Is anything wrong?” “No.”
Notorious.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)
I haven;t recieved that email . Have they only sent it to PS3 accounts rather than also PSP accounts?

Also the anti-virus softwares you;ve mentioned, are they free and where can I get them from because I don't think I seen them in shops before
They sent it to all PSN accounts, never invested in a PSP so not too sure if they operate under PSN. But yeah, it's a good thing if you haven't received it. Just make sure, like I said, that you change firstly your e-mail password and your passwords on any other sites which you might've used the same passwords on.

And yes, they are all free and extremely reliable. You can get professional versions of AVG and Avast in shops too, but the free versions do pretty much the same job alongside ZoneAlarm and Spybot. Just try Google-ing them and you should find their Official sites to d/l from, just be careful you don't d/l from an unreliable site.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)

Take a look at the PS Blog to see all of the latest updates on the situation: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/
You can see the contents of the email, which I believe should have been sent to all PSN account holders, here: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/...ervice-update/

The details taken as a result of the hack have included PSN account usernames, email addresses and the PSN account passwords, along with other details. Credit card info was encrypted and Sony haven't yet confirmed what, if any, credit card info has also been taken. If your email account passwords are the same as your PSN password (or very similar) that could potentially explain what's happened to you here; otherwise, I can't see that there's likely to be a connection.
AnotherLass
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)

They should have sent you an e-mail too. I got e-mails on 2 of my e-mail accounts even though I only have one PSN account, so I don't know how they got the other one.
W.H.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnotherLass)
They should have sent you an e-mail too. I got e-mails on 2 of my e-mail accounts even though I only have one PSN account, so I don't know how they got the other one.
Thats weird, same thing for me as well. I have no idea how those hackers have managed to access my other email account even though I only have used one email to create that PSN account (at least thats what I think - it was a long time ago ).
Ollie901
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Couple of things

Everyone got that email from Sony. Or they should have done anyway.
Secondly, I bet 70 million email addreses and passwords can bring in a bit of money for the hackers so it cirtainly isnt out of the question, even if they were only interested in credit card info as somone has suggested.
Also, one of my friends sent a wierd email out with just a link yesterday, no words at all, which is definatley a virus and he's on PSN.

hmm

EDIT: to those with the correlation cause posts, I wasnt saying it was definatley PSN, it almost certainly wasnt but it was the first time I ever had one from this contact and it was odd in the way it was sent to only a few on his contacts rather then everyone. Just a coincidence probabaly but I'd thought I'd throw it in.
Insanity514
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What'll happen to the hackers after all this?
W.H.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ollie901)
Couple of things

Everyone got that email from Sony. Or they should have done anyway.
Secondly, I bet 70 million email addreses and passwords can bring in a bit of money for the hackers so it cirtainly isnt out of the question, even if they were only interested in credit card info as somone has suggested.
Also, one of my friends sent a wierd email out with just a link yesterday, no words at all, which is definatley a virus and he's on PSN.

hmm
Thats exactly what happened to me. My email accounts sent it to itself and to few other people on the contact list. I find it strange though that the hacker managed to find people on my contact list to send it to.

btw, was that email sent only to you, or were there several other people just like in my case?
n65uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Insanity514)
What'll happen to the hackers after all this?
Not much I guess.

They're already, supposedly, trying to sell the data on.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)
Thats exactly what happened to me. My email accounts sent it to itself and to few other people on the contact list. I find it strange though that the hacker managed to find people on my contact list to send it to.

btw, was that email sent only to you, or were there several other people just like in my case?
Spam emails are pretty much unavoidable, hacked PSN or not. Immediately concluding that there's a link isn't really justified.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...mply_causation
W.H.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illusionary)
Spam emails are pretty much unavoidable, hacked PSN or not. Immediately concluding that there's a link isn't really justified.
Yeah but the thing is that I've only ever had spam emails sent to me, not from me. Therefore someone must've hacked into my accounts to have sent them, but I get your point, at the moment it is only a hunch that the PSN has something to do with this, but I guess it is the prime suspect cause because like I said, I've scanned my laptop thoroughly for viruses etc, and it came out clean. I don't download stuff and don't go on dodgy websites. I've also only ever signed into those two email accounts on this very laptop. Unless hotmail itself was hacked or there was some sort of internal problem, I can't really think of another possible cause for my emails accounts sending these weird links without me doing so.
Ollie901
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)

It was a select few. About 10-15 I'd say. Some had it sent twice I think.
did yours have 'smartfloats' in the URL?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads