Orange - Not happy with them Watch

meilan990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Well i have recently upgraded my phone and its the htc wildfire about 3 weeks ago, pretty happy and stuff and i thought i just used the wireless intenet and turned off the auto access bit to the mobile internet, but now i got my billing information and charge me a wopping £30 when my contract was £15.00 per month and apparantly that was just accessing the mobile internet even though i didnt intend to....so orange explain to me that sometimes wifi turns off and auto syncs in with the mobile internet. blah blah.:mad:

another thing as well, i just got my contract papers from them and it said that the contract period is 24 months, now while i was sorting my upgrade i asked clearly 'is the new contract still 18 months' and the guy said 'yes its 18 months.'

Have i just been conned? im gonna ring them again about this and what can i do now even though i accepted the contract agreements (btw thinking its still a 18 month contract). to be honest i just want to terminate it now because if this phone is giving me hassle i just dont want to use it and waste my money on it.

has anyone else had this problem, what is the best thing to do.
H.C. Chinaski
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by meilan990)
Well i have recently upgraded my phone and its the htc wildfire about 3 weeks ago, pretty happy and stuff and i thought i just used the wireless intenet and turned off the auto access bit to the mobile internet, but now i got my billing information and charge me a wopping £30 when my contract was £15.00 per month and apparantly that was just accessing the mobile internet even though i didnt intend to....so orange explain to me that sometimes wifi turns off and auto syncs in with the mobile internet. blah blah.:mad:

another thing as well, i just got my contract papers from them and it said that the contract period is 24 months, now while i was sorting my upgrade i asked clearly 'is the new contract still 18 months' and the guy said 'yes its 18 months.'

Have i just been conned? im gonna ring them again about this and what can i do now even though i accepted the contract agreements (btw thinking its still a 18 month contract). to be honest i just want to terminate it now because if this phone is giving me hassle i just dont want to use it and waste my money on it.

has anyone else had this problem, what is the best thing to do.
(i) Just turn Data enabled to off
(ii) If you signed 24 months then you signed 24 months ......
OakleyReef
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm on a £5 a month Sim only 30-day contract (so i can terminate pretty much whenever)
unlimited texts
100 mins.

it's perfect, and only a fiver! it's with virgin.
Best of luck with Orange, they're usually quite decent to deal with.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1 - If you have any kind of smartphone, then you are stupid not to get a data package with your contract.
2 - Defo argue against that though. If the guy said 18 months, then you were mis sold the contract.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can turn off the data really easily... go to the apps menu, settings, wireless & networks then at the bottom there's a "mobile network" option which you can untick. Some apps will whine at you and ask you to switch it back on.

Though I agree that not having a data package does sort of defeat the point of having a smartphone...

BTW another thing: there are apps which monitor your mobile data usage and display it as a widget on your homescreen. I've been using one called 3G Watchdog which is free. I don't know how accurate it is though - I am waiting for a chance to compare it with the usage Orange is logging, which basically means I need to not use 3G for two days as the counter on the Orange account page has a lag of up to 48 hours.
Lucygator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i just topped up with them and won some chattering teeth - im happy with them.

sorry i didnt read your post and have nothing particularly relevant to add.
Orange Helpers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Meilan990

Sorry to read that you're not happy with us at the moment.

I'd advise to contact Customer Services asap, if you upgraded directly through Orange, so that they can look into any dispute over the length of your agreement with us. If you upgraded through a third party dealer, then I would advise to contact them to query this matter.

Regarding your data usage, I'd agree with the suggestions from other posters about turning off data on the phone if you will not be using it, or downloading an app to help monitor your usage.

I hope this helps.

Darren from Orange Helpers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/orangehelpers
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrangeUK
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Regarding your contract length: Orange did that to me too. I carefully researched what I wanted and went for the 18 month contract and rang them up about cancelling my contract at the end of 18 months because they were terrible. They then informed me that I had signed up for 2 years which I would never have asked for. I can't really help you out because at that point I just waited the last 6 months. They are most definitely out to get the most money out of you possible. Hopefully you can sort it out and I would definitely advise going with a different company. Orange are just terrible.

Edit: Just thought, I dunno how far you are into your contract but if you're still within the cooling off period then you can cancel it. May or may not be helpful depending on how long you've had it.
meilan990
Rep:
?
(Original post by hothedgehog)
Regarding your contract length: Orange did that to me too. I carefully researched what I wanted and went for the 18 month contract and rang them up about cancelling my contract at the end of 18 months because they were terrible. They then informed me that I had signed up for 2 years which I would never have asked for. I can't really help you out because at that point I just waited the last 6 months. They are most definitely out to get the most money out of you possible. Hopefully you can sort it out and I would definitely advise going with a different company. Orange are just terrible.

Edit: Just thought, I dunno how far you are into your contract but if you're still within the cooling off period then you can cancel it. May or may not be helpful depending on how long you've had it.
just 3-4 weeks ago, i cant cancle it, its just annoying when you agreed to a contract length while your setting up and then 3 weeks later they send you a paper contract information finding out you got 6 months more than what you agreed to. I had a contact with them last year i thought it was pretty good, but now......

guck i should have done my research.... ive always been a orange customer so ive been quite lazy about it..

i called them and they said they need to invstigate it and ring me back within 7 days

meh lesson learnt
hothedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just 3-4 weeks ago, i cant cancle it, its just annoying when you agreed to a contract length while your setting up and then 3 weeks later they send you a paper contract information finding out you got 6 months more than what you agreed to. I had a contact with them last year i thought it was pretty good, but now......

guck i should have done my research.... ive always been a orange customer so ive been quite lazy about it..

i called them and they said they need to invstigate it and ring me back within 7 days

meh lesson learnt
No doubt their investigations will come back with you being wrong. But anyway, hope you can sort something out at least. Perhaps they have a way that you can put a cap on your contract so after £20 or something it stops providing you with service?
meilan990
Rep:
?
(Original post by hothedgehog)
No doubt their investigations will come back with you being wrong. But anyway, hope you can sort something out at least. Perhaps they have a way that you can put a cap on your contract so after £20 or something it stops providing you with service?
Im not too angry with the overcharge but it just the contract length. its quite a bugger really, and its sad they only give you 7 days to make a decision and cancle it, when you find you dont have all of the information with you on paper.
hothedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im not too angry with the overcharge but it just the contract length. its quite a bugger really, and its sad they only give you 7 days to make a decision and cancle it, when you find you dont have all of the information with you on paper.
Yeah, it is a bit unjust really.

Good luck in your fight!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They will probably have a recording of the phone call somewhere - as they are a company which will make lots of contracts with people over the phone verbally they are opening themselves up to lots of potential for disputes such as yours, so it would make sense for them to record calls.

This is why I'm quite glad that I took out my contract in store, in person - I have a carbon copy of the original contract complete with all the important details on minimum term etc, and my signature at the bottom!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads