Local newsagents selling illegal cigarettes... Watch

robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So a local immigrant newsagent is selling illegal cigarette contraband. When I was new here, he would hide it from me, and I guess others - I remember there would often be awkwardness as him and a customer waited for me to leave the store, after they had paid for something. As I've developed some banter with him over the last few months, I think he thinks he can trust me and has now started selling the illegal cigarettes in front of me, while I'm browsing the store.

He seems to be a nice guy, but nevertheless he is evading our tax system, and it questions to me what else he might be up to.

How serious is this? Should I report him? Would you?
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by robbo3045)
So a local immigrant newsagent is selling illegal cigarette contraband. When I was new here, he would hide it from me, and I guess others - I remember there would often be awkwardness as him and a customer waited for me to leave the store, after they had paid for something. As I've developed some banter with him over the last few months, I think he thinks he can trust me and has now started selling the illegal cigarettes in front of me, while I'm browsing the store.

It sounds harsh, but I'd report him.
paul_blakeman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

He seems to be a nice guy, but nevertheless he is evading our tax system, and it questions to me what else he might be up to.

Of course you should report him, but no I wouldn't. It isn't worth the hassle to you at all. With most illegal things, I would say it is your duty to do something, but with this one, just keep up the good banter and keep things going smooth I know bouncers outside nightclubs who sell cigarettes (I don't smoke), but it isn't worth my time to denounce them.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

You should report it, tbh. He's affecting the trade of legitimate traders who comply with excise laws. You're best off informing your local Trading Standards agency who will probably then investigate it alongside HMRC.
J.tytler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

He's not hurting anyone so don't be uptight and go runnig to the police... all you're gonna achieve is loose a good relationship with the shopkeeper because it's pretty hard to prove somthing like that.
u02dpb7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Mind your own business! If it bothers you that much shop somewhere else. There is much much worse that goes on in this world, if you feel this indignant about something so minor, life will be full of horrible surprises
Thirst
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/x-ray/201...gal-ciga.shtml
sugar3str
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
times are hard, let him continue
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by J.tytler)
He's not hurting anyone so don't be uptight and go runnig to the police... all you're gonna achieve is loose a good relationship with the shopkeeper because it's pretty hard to prove somthing like that.
Yes he is. By selling knock-off ciggies, he's affecting the local traders who have to charge full price, he's potentially affecting the health of the people he's selling to (I know... smoking harms your health anyway :rolleyes:) because they might be counterfeit ones and he's affecting everyone by not paying the duty on the tobacco.

And it's very easy to prove. You allege that illegal cigarettes are being sold, trading standards roll up with a plain-clothed officer and try to buy some. If they sell them and see that there's no "UK Duty Paid" label on them, then he gets arrested. If they don't sell them, they raid the premises with the HMRC team waiting round the corner.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unfortunately, I doubt there is much you can do.

We have about twenty similar shops here in Coventry (if not more!) and people report them, the police raid them, a week later they're selling them again. I pass one every day on the way to uni and it's still going strong - in four years I've seen it shut down about a dozen times but it always comes back.
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He's probably struggling to make a living as it is, leave the poor guy alone.

I want to make a pun about "shopping" him to the police but I can't be bothered.
johnnn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just leave him be, theres loads of people that sell them.
J.tytler
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Yes he is. By selling knock-off ciggies, he's affecting the local traders who have to charge full price, he's potentially affecting the health of the people he's selling to (I know... smoking harms your health anyway :rolleyes:) because they might be counterfeit ones and he's affecting everyone by not paying the duty on the tobacco.

And it's very easy to prove. You allege that illegal cigarettes are being sold, trading standards roll up with a plain-clothed officer and try to buy some. If they sell them and see that there's no "UK Duty Paid" label on them, then he gets arrested. If they don't sell them, they raid the premises with the HMRC team waiting round the corner.
Hmmm fair enough, but I highly doubt they'd raid the premesis based on one report... surely they're got more important things to worry about?

And it's for that reason that they won't sell you them unless they know and trust you, which is why in reality this sort of thing happens all the time, and is near enough unstoppable.

In theory, at 16 is shouldn't of been able to buy cigarettes or alcohol anywhere, in practice it was all to easy and none of the shops I went to ever got raided (I quit now, for the record ) but yeah, as far as tax evasion goes this is pretty minor imo.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Just because he is an immigrant he is automatically selling cigarettes 'illegally'?

How much is he charging?
J.tytler
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Just because he is an immigrant he is automatically selling cigarettes 'illegally'?

How much is he charging?
If they're forgein cigarettes then yes, he is selling them illegally. Tax evasion.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by J.tytler)
Hmmm fair enough, but I highly doubt they'd raid the premesis based on one report... surely they're got more important things to worry about?

And it's for that reason that they won't sell you them unless they know and trust you, which is why in reality this sort of thing happens all the time, and is near enough unstoppable.

In theory, at 16 is shouldn't of been able to buy cigarettes or alcohol anywhere, in practice it was all to easy and none of the shops I went to ever got raided (I quit now, for the record ) but yeah, as far as tax evasion goes this is pretty minor imo.
The point is, HMRC have nothing better to do that collect tax and punish those who avoid paying tax. It's their job. These **** haven't got here by themselves. They've obviously been illegally imported and this retailer may have information to discover a much larger criminal organisation that will be making some serious money from this.
Thirst
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do the right thing and report him.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only reason smoking is still tolerated is because of the huge revenue it brings, illegal cigarettes do harm people, as they're actually worse for you but give nothing back in tax, so smokers can't fall back on the "But the revenue generated is greater than the NHS treatment bill" because none of the money goes back into public services, meaning they cause more strain on health services while giving nothing back.
thecookiemonster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Don't report him

He's doing what he can to get by, times are hard

And plus, it would be so much time and hassle for you, and think how he'll feel, thinking that he could trust you and then you go and report him
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)

How much is he charging?
It's not a presumption, HE IS selling cigarettes illegally. And he is an Immigrant.

Fact and Fact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise