Another geometric series question Watch

ryan84
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Stuck on this:

The first 3 terms of a geometric series are the 5th, 9th and 12th terms of an arithmetic series that has common diff 2.

a) Find the common ratio

What ive gathered is that the first 3 terms:

a = a+4d
ar= a+8d
ar^2 =a+11d

Not sure if this is correct? But if so:

a=a+8
ar=a+16
ar^2 = a+22

Not sure what to do after that.

please help thanks!
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
You've assumed that the arithmetic series has the same first term as the geometric sequence. If that were true then your first equation gives a=a+8 \Rightarrow 0 = 8, so that can't be true.

Suppose instead that the geometric sequence has first term a and the arithmetic sequence has first term b. Then you have:

a=b+8
ar=b+16
ar^2=b+22

One way of doing this is to look at the difference between the terms. The difference between the first two terms is 8, and between the second two is 6, and so ar-a=8 and ar^2-ar = 6. You can solve these two equations simultaneously to find r. [Hint: factorise the LHS of both equations and divide the second equation by the first.]
ryan84
Rep:
?
(Original post by nuodai)
You've assumed that the arithmetic series has the same first term as the geometric sequence. If that were true then your first equation gives a=a+8 \Rightarrow 0 = 8, so that can't be true.

Suppose instead that the geometric sequence has first term a and the arithmetic sequence has first term b. Then you have:

a=b+8
ar=b+16
ar^2=b+22

One way of doing this is to look at the difference between the terms. The difference between the first two terms is 8, and between the second two is 6, and so ar-a=8 and ar^2-ar = 6. You can solve these two equations simultaneously to find r. [Hint: factorise the LHS of both equations and divide the second equation by the first.]

I worked out the answer and got it right. But how not sure how you derived those two equations?

Thanks!
ryan84
Rep:
?
nvm, got it.

Thanks alot nuodai!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads