This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Any fans? I used to love them. But got a bit bored. I'm relistening to various CDs though, love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Libraries gave us power, THEN WORK CAME AND MADE US FREE.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Libraries gave us power, THEN WORK CAME AND MADE US FREE.
is that a lyric?
Sire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Any fans? I used to love them. But got a bit bored. I'm relistening to various CDs though, love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.
yeah, they aren't bad, but isn't the lead singer dead?
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
yeah, they aren't bad, but isn't the lead singer dead?
no, i beleive Richie (?) disappeared and may have killed himself, but he wasn't the singer duno what he did actually :confused:
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what's a manic street preacher. is a kind of minister?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Don't listen to too much, but You Stole The Sun From My Heart is a great song.
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
no, i beleive Richie (?) disappeared and may have killed himself, but he wasn't the singer duno what he did actually :confused:
The Manics are one of my fav bands. Richie was the songwriter with Nicky, and he was clinically depressed and in to self-harm and all that stuff. The most famous story is of when a journalist accused them of not being serious about lyrics etc etc and Richie carved '4 real' in his arm with a knife. He is missing presumed dead as his car was found on a 'suicide' bridge with the door open.

Fav tracks are Kevin Carter, Motorcycle Emptiness and A design for life.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Yes that's a lyric.

As said, Richie Manic is missing, probably dead (although not officially, still, after nearly 8 years), he was just a guitarist, a bad one at that. His role in the band was alot more about being very cool.

The 4real incident is horrific, the journalist who accused him was Steve Lamacq.

I love design for life, yes, la tristesse duera, *LOVE* you stole the son from my heart, miss europa disco dancer is also so relevent.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes that's a lyric.

As said, Richie Manic is missing, probably dead (although not officially, still, after nearly 8 years), he was just a guitarist, a bad one at that. His role in the band was alot more about being very cool.

The 4real incident is horrific, the journalist who accused him was Steve Lamacq.

I love design for life, yes, la tristesse duera, *LOVE* you stole the son from my heart, miss europa disco dancer is also so relevent.
Funny you should mention Miss..... as Know Your Enemy has some good songs that are not famous. La trisstesse is great too, gold against the soul is mediocre though. I only brought one manics cd to uni with me, and in the end after much deliberation I went for the greatest hits. Its good but misses some classics too. You stole is excellent, I like Tsunami of if you tolerate this too.

You've also reminded me why I snub Lamacq live.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The Manics are great.

I really like From Despair to Where for the pure happy energy it radiates.

And the one with the French name is kinda cool.

And they have lots of other cool songs.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I AM THE BIGGEST FAN!!! The msp are my favourite band for sad songs, "everlasting" is incredible, "tsunami" is great and so many songs from "Know your enemy". Are they giving a lot of concerts in the UK? Would be one more reason to study there...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
Funny you should mention Miss..... as Know Your Enemy has some good songs that are not famous. La trisstesse is great too, gold against the soul is mediocre though. I only brought one manics cd to uni with me, and in the end after much deliberation I went for the greatest hits. Its good but misses some classics too. You stole is excellent, I like Tsunami of if you tolerate this too.

You've also reminded me why I snub Lamacq live.
I just look around me, see stupid club culture, stupid gay club culture, and start humming miss europa disco dancer. Like my anthem for when I'm bitter and annoyed at my own generation.

You had to limit yourself in choices of CDs? That's a shame.

What do you think of the Holy Bible? I know it often feels juvenile and silly listening to it, but I can ignore that fact if I'm pissed off enough.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Unfortunately they're hardly playing any gigs, the last they played was the move festival in Old Trafford. According to them, they're going to release a new album soon then split up.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I just look around me, see stupid club culture, stupid gay club culture, and start humming miss europa disco dancer. Like my anthem for when I'm bitter and annoyed at my own generation.

You had to limit yourself in choices of CDs? That's a shame.

What do you think of the Holy Bible? I know it often feels juvenile and silly listening to it, but I can ignore that fact if I'm pissed off enough.
Yup, unfortunately there are some cds i'm craving for at home.

Ah, The holy bible. Its probably my least favourite album to listen to in a musical sense, but I think you're right, there is often a time when it seems appropriate. An example of that would be after my Medieval History lecture on monday, when I felt a like my brain was going to explode. I went to my room, put the manics cd in, selected 'faster', and cranked up the volume. Needless to say, I felt better immediately.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammyd)
Yup, unfortunately there are some cds i'm craving for at home.

Ah, The holy bible. Its probably my least favourite album to listen to in a musical sense, but I think you're right, there is often a time when it seems appropriate. An example of that would be after my Medieval History lecture on monday, when I felt a like my brain was going to explode. I went to my room, put the manics cd in, selected 'faster', and cranked up the volume. Needless to say, I felt better immediately.
Faster, that's what I need right now.

I am purity, they call me perverted!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
The Manics are probably my favorite band of all time. I think that they were almost certainly the most important British band of the the decade (or two if you want to be fussy ).

T.H.B is thier best work to date, I just thinks its a great shame that they will never get to that same level again...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (61)
19.18%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.15%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5.03%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.46%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
22.01%
Speak to current students studying my course (68)
21.38%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.09%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.77%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.52%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.89%

Watched Threads