Highers in second/third year - are they recognised? Watch

lemmata
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm currently in second year, and am studying for highers in politics and computing to sit in third year. Do authorities recognise highers obtained before S5? Thanks.
TheUnbeliever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.
lemmata
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
Yes.
Thanks.
anyone_can_fly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In general, yes. Here are some university's specific policies:

(Original post by University of Edinburgh)
The University would give recognition to students taking an early Higher, but would still expect that student to take a minimum of four SQA Highers, or a combination of Highers and Advanced Highers in their ‘main diet’ and to perform satisfactorily across all four subjects.
(Original post by University of Glasgow)
The University recognises that schools may present pupils for SQA Highers or GCE A-levels one year earlier than normal. Providing no more than one Higher/A-level is taken, this would not normally be considered as a first sitting. However, if two Highers/A-levels are attempted early, the University may consider any assessed Highers/A-levels from fifth year or year 13 as a second sitting. This general rule may not apply if you are making application to the Medicine (MBChB) degree programme, where you will be expected to gain your entry requirements in one sitting. Please contact the appropriate admissions office: see Contacts for advice. The University does not normally consider applications based on three consecutive sittings of the appropriate qualification.
And because you must be pretty bright, here's Oxford's view (couldn't find Cambridge):
(Original post by University of Oxford)
The University supports the general principles of Age and Stage, whereby students are allowed to progress through their educational development and qualifications at an appropriate rate according to their ability.

However, if students are entered early for examinations, the University would still expect students to achieve at the highest level. Poor performance could potentially have a negative effect on a future application.
How come you're sitting them in third year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.89%
No - but I will (87)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.74%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (537)
47.65%

Watched Threads