How Hard Did You Revise For First Year Uni Exams Watch

2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A lot of people from second year told me they revised two weeks before the exams began and managed to get a 2:1. Is this like a general practice for first years' or should you really put the work in.

P/S the first year doesn't count towards final mark in my uni.

DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
A lot of people from second year told me they revised two weeks before the exams began and managed to get a 2:1. Is this like a general practice for first years' or should you really put the work in.

P/S the first year doesn't count towards final mark in my uni.
I gave one module a day's revision; didn't revise for the rest. Came out with a decent 1st.

It completely depends on your course and institution, and obviously you as a person.

My course was largely coursework-based in first year.
timtea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i guess it will vary between people... like how some people wing gcse's and get A's
and some people wing gcse's and get D's & C's...
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I haven't started yet. I'm ****ed.
Baula
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have one exam on the 12th and officially started revising on Friday. I'm not great with exams because I have a seriously bad memory. I normally revise nearer the time because it's fresher in my mind.

Not sure how I feel about the exam. In theory I need 12% to pass the module (need 40% on the exam to pass) but I'm pretty nervous because the past papers freaked me out a bit

I think it depends on how you can revise. If you put the effort in, you'll do well - usually. (This is based on A-level) I've never sat a uni exam :P
whyumadtho
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I work best under extreme temporal pressure, so I don't need that much revision to get high grades.
-honeybee-
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1st semester - not a lot. 2nd semester - more than 1st, I did make an effort but nothing extreme. Certainly not 2 weeks before the exams. I'm in 2nd year now and if I started revising 2 weeks before my exams I would consider that an achievement. I need pressure to work most effectively.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Two exams, wednesday + Thursday. Kinda 'half' revised since thursday. Got exams on monday and tuesday after that, nothing done for them, not long to do anything in that gap ><

But i've never revised for GCSE's and A-levels, and i've got a pretty sound 'base knowledge' of my course subject (business) to atleast blag a bit of it (good at blagging). But still.. the worry is there..
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Exam thursday :facepalm:
SchadenfreudeDude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The day before the exam, usually.

I'd definitely work harder in the second year, though.
edlambeth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
40% = first year pass, do 40% of revision
flowermaster91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i remember last year i revised an hour before an exam and still managed a 2:1 :teehee:
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My first exams are over a month away, and I'm going to have to revise a ****load if I want to pass. I still haven't covered half of the lower limb yet.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I took mdma 3 nights before, higher than I'd ever been in my life. Absolutely ****ed, it wasn't mdma but something else that basically had me hallucinating for 8/9 hours.

Couldn't work the next day, had the worst comedown on the planet, couldn't even sleep without thinking I was floating.

Managed to make it to the library the next day, half revised.

Got a solid 2:2 for that exam. :rolleyes:

Advice? Don't do that..
BLineDisaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In the first year i revised really hard for about a month leading up to the exams and got a 1st.

This year, its now 2 weeks to the day until my first exam (and they run monday, wednesday, monday, wednesday) so i really dont have enough time!
Mainly because i've spent the last 4 weeks writing up a beast of a practical portfolio, which is finally being handed in tomorrow
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Revise?

I have a second year exam tomorrow and I'm debating about Osama on the internet.

Although I did all the work throughout the year this year, instead of faffing about like last year.

Doing consistently well in homework sheets means you need to panic less before exams, which means you can feel great when you see all the people who did diddly squat over the year ****ting bricks before the exam. This is what's going to happen for the next few exams too, hopefully.

I worked damn hard this year and I'd better get a first!

(I do mathematics though so it's ****ing hard to cram... you need to practise it instead)
BLineDisaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
Revise?

I have a second year exam tomorrow and I'm debating about Osama on the internet.

Although I did all the work throughout the year this year, instead of faffing about like last year.

Doing consistently well in homework sheets means you need to panic less before exams, which means you can feel great when you see all the people who did diddly squat over the year ****ting bricks before the exam. This is what's going to happen for the next few exams too, hopefully.

I worked damn hard this year and I'd better get a first!

(I do mathematics though so it's ****ing hard to cram... you need to practise it instead)
I agree with that. Im hoping for a similar outcome - of the 7 assignments I have handed in, only one has come back, at that was 75%, I put in the same effort for the others so im hoping for good marks all round. It certainly does take alot of stress away from exams.
-honeybee-
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SchadenfreudeDude)
The day before the exam, usually.

I'd definitely work harder in the second year, though.
Everyone says this.
SchadenfreudeDude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by -honeybee-)
Everyone says this.
Except I actually did it!
avila
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To all you first years... enjoy things while they're easy.

This is what final year exams are like for many:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%