Maths cambridge gap year applicant Watch

mathsgraecia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,
I'm going to take a gap year and then apply for maths the following year and am particularly keen on getting into cambridge. Does anyone know what they would like a maths applicant to spend a year out of education doing. I was thinking of applying for work exp. but as of yet i don't actually know what i want to do after my degree. Any suggestions/ideas will be much appreciated.
Thankyou
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths tutoring, whether done privately for teh moneyz or you could volunteer at a primary/secondary school.

Work experience at a financial firm of some sort, tbh I don't know how much that'll strengthen your application; only Maths related activities would be of real value.
mathsgraecia
Rep:
?
thankyou, that was really useful. Do you mind me asking you are few q's, sorry for being a pain. , are you a maths student and if so where at? Do you know whether they'll mind me taking a gap year? i'd maaybe be interested in teaching but what really fascinates me is how maths relates to nature. do you know any what sort of jobs you can from am maths degree related to this?

thanks again
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mathsgraecia)
thankyou, that was really useful. Do you mind me asking you are few q's, sorry for being a pain. , are you a maths student and if so where at? Do you know whether they'll mind me taking a gap year? i'd maaybe be interested in teaching but what really fascinates me is how maths relates to nature. do you know any what sort of jobs you can from am maths degree related to this?

thanks again

(Original post by therealOG)
Maths tutoring, whether done privately for teh moneyz or you could volunteer at a primary/secondary school.

Work experience at a financial firm of some sort, tbh I don't know how much that'll strengthen your application; only Maths related activities would be of real value.
You have to quote or he won't notice you replied.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Check the admissions information, as I recall most colleges aren't keen, but some don't mind you taking gap years. You could email admissions tutors at these colleges to see what kind of activities they'd advise. Above all, keep doing maths(obviously if you were to get an offer you'd have to do STEP, so you'd need to still be in good maths form anyway).
mathsgraecia
Rep:
?

thanks again
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mathsgraecia)

thanks again
I'm not a Maths student, but I'm going to do a Maths heavy course at uni (Econ and Geog). I volunteered at my local primary school to tutor kids in Maths and English and put that in my personal statement. I don't know too much about how uni's view gap years....check out what Slumpy said (the post above).

I'd also try and attend a lot of Maths lectures/events, join a Maths society (e.g. I joined the Royal Geographical Society, subscribed to their magazine and went to a few of their lectures and events) and subscribe to some Maths related journals. The only one that I can think of which contains applied Maths in a popular context is the New Scientist (lots of stuff about nature, physics, chemistry and biology - they all derive from Maths I suppose lol). I'm sure there are dedicated Maths journals out there though.
mathsgraecia
Rep:
?
I'm not a Maths student, but I'm going to do a Maths heavy course at uni (Econ and Geog). I volunteered at my local primary school to tutor kids in Maths and English and put that in my personal statement. I don't know too much about how uni's view gap years....check out what Slumpy said (the post above).

I'd also try and attend a lot of Maths lectures/events, join a Maths society (e.g. I joined the Royal Geographical Society, subscribed to their magazine and went to a few of their lectures and events) and subscribe to some Maths related journals. The only one that I can think of which contains applied Maths in a popular context is the New Scientist (lots of stuff about nature, physics, chemistry and biology - they all derive from Maths I suppose lol). I'm sure there are dedicated Maths journals out there though.
thanks again, much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads