MA in Journalism at Cardiff Watch

Nicholas Brakespear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everyone,

I am interested in an MA in Journalism at Cardiff. I'm asking for info on the course, the fees, but most importantly - the requirements. I have a 2.1 in History from a good uni, so i feel okay there. But what of the experience and examples of 'your work' it mentions on the website; is that to do with having work experience in journalism, e.g a newspaper? 'Your work', is that to do with having something published or just an example of the type of work you can produce (and it doesnt need to have been published)? What do you make of the course overall?

A lot of questions there, but would be really grateful to anyone in the know, or is/has been on the course to supply some much needed info. I am going to contact the faculty in time of course, but some impartial info and advice would still be really appreciated. Thanks!
AmyJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nicholas Brakespear)
Hello everyone,

I am interested in an MA in Journalism at Cardiff. I'm asking for info on the course, the fees, but most importantly - the requirements. I have a 2.1 in History from a good uni, so i feel okay there. But what of the experience and examples of 'your work' it mentions on the website; is that to do with having work experience in journalism, e.g a newspaper? 'Your work', is that to do with having something published or just an example of the type of work you can produce (and it doesnt need to have been published)? What do you make of the course overall?

A lot of questions there, but would be really grateful to anyone in the know, or is/has been on the course to supply some much needed info. I am going to contact the faculty in time of course, but some impartial info and advice would still be really appreciated. Thanks!
Bumping this thread because I'm applying for the same course next year and have some similar questions.

I think the usual minimum requirement is 4 weeks' work experience on a newspaper/magazine etc (assuming you're interested in print) and a decent portfolio of pieces to take to interview if you get to that stage. If you haven't had anything published yet, definitely try and sort out some work experience, though I think blogging/creative writing etc is also evidence of interest in the media etc.

Can anyone supply any info about the contact hours of this course, etc? Can/do you arrange placements independently at Christmas/Easter? Is it advisable to have a part-time job during the MA?
mimimimi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to join this thread too, since I'm going to apply for Cardiff's MA in Journalism for 2012 entry... I should have enough experience, I think, but I want to see what people post about the course
AmyJ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mimimimi)
I'm going to join this thread too, since I'm going to apply for Cardiff's MA in Journalism for 2012 entry... I should have enough experience, I think, but I want to see what people post about the course
Out of curiosity, how much work experience do you have..??
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AmyJ)
Out of curiosity, how much work experience do you have..??
Not much really, I've been writing a regular blog for 9 months and am going to Moldova to work for a Russian-language newspaper for a month this summer.

I'm also applying for work experience at a few places for August/September, and intend to write for Student Direct for the whole academic year (unfortunately all of the meetings clashed with my timetable last year ). By the time I come to apply for MAs/Diplomas I'm hoping to have a few published articles to show them, as well as my blog.

Do you think this will be enough? I get the impression that 1-2 months of full-time work experience or several months of student reporting is sufficient... I am aware that plenty of people will have more experience than me but I'm hoping I'll be ok.

How much experience do you have?
AmyJ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not much really, I've been writing a regular blog for 9 months and am going to Moldova to work for a Russian-language newspaper for a month this summer.

I'm also applying for work experience at a few places for August/September, and intend to write for Student Direct for the whole academic year (unfortunately all of the meetings clashed with my timetable last year ). By the time I come to apply for MAs/Diplomas I'm hoping to have a few published articles to show them, as well as my blog.

Do you think this will be enough? I get the impression that 1-2 months of full-time work experience or several months of student reporting is sufficient... I am aware that plenty of people will have more experience than me but I'm hoping I'll be ok.

How much experience do you have?
Student Direct? Are you at Manchester too?

The Russian-language thing sounds fantastic. I'm doing the same re: trying to arrange placements for August/September, and doing a spot of freelancing on the side. I only have a few weeks of work experience behind me at the minute (plus a few articles for Student Direct), but I want to have at least 6 weeks worth before I apply. I know that Cardiff applicants "are not encouraged to apply before Christmas", so that gives some extra time for placements as well.

Good luck! xxx
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AmyJ)
Student Direct? Are you at Manchester too?

The Russian-language thing sounds fantastic. I'm doing the same re: trying to arrange placements for August/September, and doing a spot of freelancing on the side. I only have a few weeks of work experience behind me at the minute (plus a few articles for Student Direct), but I want to have at least 6 weeks worth before I apply. I know that Cardiff applicants "are not encouraged to apply before Christmas", so that gives some extra time for placements as well.

Good luck! xxx
Yeah, I'm at Manchester too Which section/s have you written for in Student Direct? I went to a few of the meetings after fresher's week last year but as I said all of the regular ones clashed with my silly timetable. I'm praying the same won't happen this year...

Yeah, I'm dead excited about the Russian thing. I'm going to be working for one of the most popular Russian newspapers, which has a circulation of around 2 million people! A bit scared really... At first apparently I'm just going to be helping out, but as I'll be there for a month they say I should be writing articles by the end of my time there, eep. Should be good for my translation skills too

My friend is starting a free newspaper in Manchester as well, due to launch this summer. I'll be writing for that, and my boyfriend's going to do the illustrations for it I'll keep you posted on how it goes - if he needs any more writers I'll put you in touch with him!

I think I'm going to apply to everywhere in December/January, so hopefully I can get something else in as well (even if I don't get anything for August/September)... Are you applying anywhere else?

Sorry for the mini essay I've ended up writing here, haha... Good luck to you too!
AmyJ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I'm at Manchester too Which section/s have you written for in Student Direct? I went to a few of the meetings after fresher's week last year but as I said all of the regular ones clashed with my silly timetable. I'm praying the same won't happen this year...

Yeah, I'm dead excited about the Russian thing. I'm going to be working for one of the most popular Russian newspapers, which has a circulation of around 2 million people! A bit scared really... At first apparently I'm just going to be helping out, but as I'll be there for a month they say I should be writing articles by the end of my time there, eep. Should be good for my translation skills too

My friend is starting a free newspaper in Manchester as well, due to launch this summer. I'll be writing for that, and my boyfriend's going to do the illustrations for it I'll keep you posted on how it goes - if he needs any more writers I'll put you in touch with him!

I think I'm going to apply to everywhere in December/January, so hopefully I can get something else in as well (even if I don't get anything for August/September)... Are you applying anywhere else?

Sorry for the mini essay I've ended up writing here, haha... Good luck to you too!
Yay Manchester

I did a couple of pieces for arts/film, mainly interviews. I had a couple of timetable clashes but in truth my motivation just petered out a bit, I really need to pick up the pace this year.

The free paper thing sound good . I found an internship in the USA for next summer, but it takes a lot of organising to get the visa etc and because it's sponsored, I'm worried I might have to write or say things that I disagree with morally/politically (e.g anything overtly right-wing). That's if I even got accepted..!

Applying elsewhere for journalism? Sheffield of course :cool: and City, though I have almost no hope of going there unless God works a miracle and I get funded. *crosses fingers*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads