Can a HP laptop with i3 processor handle heavy video editing software? Watch

*dicie*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As above, really.

I would really like to get the Adobe CS5 package so that I can get to grips with video editing, InDesign, etc. Obviously, my ideal choice would be to get an iMac with Final Cut Pro software, but I have no money to fund that whatsoever.

If not, are there alternatives available that won't cost the earth and won't require as much processing power?

Thanks xx
Fallen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They will work fine.
Things like encoding your videos, complex transforms in PS, etc. will run for longer, but the actual package will work just fine.

It is a huge, huge myth that you need epic RAM/CPU for things like the Adobe suites. Moderate RAM and pretty much any modern, non-netbook processor will do you perfectly well.
Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by *dicie*)
Adobe CS5 package
80% student discount for this. Apparently it also applies to CS5.5, released later this month.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It'll run fine, but there's a couple of caveats from it. Main thing is, you won't be running PS and Premiere at the same time (or PS/Illustrator, Prem/AE, etc.) without a beefy amount of RAM. You may get away with it at 4 GB, but don't expect it to be lightning fast. :p: Other thing is, rendering on-the-fly will probably be quite slow, and compiling videos will obviously take forever and a day, especially on HD. If all you plan on editing is SD/low-res stuff, you'll probably have a much easier time of it.

That's my experience from using CS4 on a Core 2 Duo laptop, bought a couple years ago. Your mileage may vary. :fyi:
*dicie*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for your advice! I managed to up my specs for about the same price so am now the owner of a new acer! Not my favourite manufacturer but the processing benchmark surpasses some of the older i5 processors so am a happy bunny
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise