Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jam.wa)
There is SO MUCH PHYSICS!
Dream question:

'Fail to calculate this really difficult capacitor question'

I HATE capacitors more than anything.
Can you do resistors? I like to look at Capacitors like resistors even though they're not
V=IR and Q=VC
In Series or a resistor is a parrallel for a capacitor
M_I
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
The electrons travel through more volts so the eV (electron volts) increases.

An electron volt is a standard unit of energy meaning it can make eV= 1/2 mv^2 so increasing the voltake increases eV and increases KE
Genius! Thanks.....I just realised what an eV is haha.
jam.wa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChoYunEL)
Can you do resistors? I like to look at Capacitors like resistors even though they're not
V=IR and Q=VC
In Series or a resistor is a parrallel for a capacitor
I understand the basics, it's just when they plonk two switches on, say one's open, one's closed, then both closed and then blahdeblahdeblah.
Having said that I just finished doing June 2010 and didn't do too bad in the end
M_I
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the specimen paper, question 8.d)i) why do the multiply by 100?
sulexk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why is the film in an intensifying screen sandwiched between two phosphor screens, what is the point of the second one, and what impact does this have on the resulting image produced?
InsaneFandom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could someone please show me how you rearrange V=Voe^-t/CR to get t? :/
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by InsaneFandom)
Could someone please show me how you rearrange V=Voe^-t/CR to get t? :/
V/Vo = e^-t/CR

ln(v/vo) = -t/CR

ln(v/vo)x-CR = t
CoffeeStinks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Guys how does x ray diffraction provide evidence for the atomic radius being around 10^-10?

Please help.
Summerdays
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The electrons travel through more volts so the eV (electron volts) increases.

An electron volt is a standard unit of energy meaning it can make eV= 1/2 mv^2 so increasing the voltake increases eV and increases KE
Yes. Loss of electrical potential energy (qV) = Gain of kinetic energy.
jam.wa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeStinks)
Guys how does x ray diffraction provide evidence for the atomic radius being around 10^-10?

Please help.
Are you doing an old paper?
I'd probably start off with that equation from AS n(lambda)=dsin(theta)
sulexk
Rep:
?
I have been going through the june 2010 and jan 2011 paper, just looking over content, and so far for radioactivity, the smoke detector has not come up yet- so it is a possibility. In jan 2011 carbon dating had come up and in june 2010 half life came up. So perhaps the smoke detector will come up. Its a possibility. So here is how the smoke detector works:

The alpha particles are detected by an electronic circuit
When smoke enters the device the alpha particles are absorbed
and the current in the circuit reduces significantly and the circuit then triggers the alarm.

Note- alpha radiation is used because it is the most strongly ionising and therefore the most likely to be absorbed by the smoke particles. As well as this the range of alphar particles is so small that they're unlikely to constitute a hazard to the user.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
sulexk
Rep:
?
(Original post by sulexk)
Why is the film in an intensifying screen sandwiched between two phosphor screens, what is the point of the second one, and what impact does this have on the resulting image produced?
Any ideas?
Right Guard 3.D
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
V/Vo = e^-t/CR

ln(v/vo) = -t/CR

ln(v/vo)x-CR = t
What does the x in the last line represent please? And I repped you since you firmed my understanding onhow to rearrange exponentials

(Original post by Summerdays)
Yes. Loss of electrical potential energy (qV) = Gain of kinetic energy.
Loss=gain? Doesn't that go against the law of conversation of energy? If energy is gained by an electron, wouldn't it also gain kinetic as the energies are 'like one'? Or am I getting confused?
jam.wa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any ideas?
I think the first phosphor screen absorbs X-ray photons and re-emits visible light photons. If I had to guess, I'd say the second one did more or less the same. The resulting image would be darker, because the film is more sensitive to visible light photons. So the image would appear crisper.
Summerdays
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Loss=gain? Doesn't that go against the law of conversation of energy? If energy is gained by an electron, wouldn't it also gain kinetic as the energies are 'like one'? Or am I getting confused?
No, this IS the conservation of energy. Originally the electron had energy qV. As the electron is repelled from another electron, as it moves away from the otehr electron its potential energy (qV) is turned into kinetic energy. So energy is conerved. The electron gains maximum kinetic energy once the potential difference is zero (i.e.: once the electron is essentially an inifite distance away from the other electron.)
Right Guard 3.D
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My book (Physics 2 for OCR A by Cambridge university press) doesn't show that it is sandwiched, it just has the phosphor screen and then the photocathode which elections are enjoyed from via the photoelectric effect. So id say there isn't really a point of the second one? Since the main focus are the elections emitted which then get accelerated to the anode?
CoffeeStinks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jam.wa)
Are you doing an old paper?
I'd probably start off with that equation from AS n(lambda)=dsin(theta)
Yes it's Jan03. It doesn't directly relate to the new past papers but I'm trying to cover as many aspects. Just incase they want to go off on a tangent in the actual exam.

Thanks.
Right Guard 3.D
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Summerdays)
No, this IS the conservation of energy. Originally the electron had energy qV. As the electron is repelled from another electron, as it moves away from the otehr electron its potential energy (qV) is turned into kinetic energy. So energy is conerved. The electron gains maximum kinetic energy once the potential difference is zero (i.e.: once the electron is essentially an inifite distance away from the other electron.)
Now you said that, you were absolutely correct and I am annoyed for asking what I did :L

Thanks for clearing that up!
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What does the x in the last line represent please? And I repped you since you firmed my understanding onhow to rearrange exponentials

Multiply, I just kept it in there to show you multiply not divide.
Ralphus J
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What does it mean by "describe the principles of ultrasound scanning"?? its on the specification sheet (OCR Physics A) under ultrasound (d). Please reply as soon as possible

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.67%
The paper was reasonable (1076)
47.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (505)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.86%

Watched Threads